Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Got out and tested things this morning, video will come tomorrow. Short story is a 1806 A pack motor with 9 gram servos will hover, but with no real ability to climb out. Same motor with 5g servos is spot on and lots of fun to fly, it may even fly better then the 2205 with 9g servos.

Did you ever scale the whole plane both ways (5g versus 9g servos) ? For the few extra grams using the 9g ones changes the ability of the plane that much I would say the A pack is just barely enough power.

Headbang

Master member
Did you ever scale the whole plane both ways (5g versus 9g servos) ? For the few extra grams using the 9g ones changes the ability of the plane that much I would say the A pack is just barely enough power.
It has been tested with a 1806 (stock a pack motor) with 5g and 9g servos, as well as with a 2205 in both configs. Did a worst case test this morning. 1806 with the wieght of 9g servks and 1100mAh pack. It worked, just no climbout ability. Recommended is a 2205 2300kv on a 6x3 prop 3s power and 9g servos. It becomes super light and forgiving with a 1806 and 5g servos 3s 6x3 prop.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
It has been tested with a 1806 (stock a pack motor) with 5g and 9g servos, as well as with a 2205 in both configs. Did a worst case test this morning. 1806 with the wieght of 9g servks and 1100mAh pack. It worked, just no climbout ability. Recommended is a 2205 2300kv on a 6x3 prop 3s power and 9g servos. It becomes super light and forgiving with a 1806 and 5g servos 3s 6x3 prop.

The 3d printer is on hot standby for the moment I get the STL, the motor, ECS, and props will be here Tuesday or Wednesday, Foamboard, hot glue, servos, batt, receiver, all go.

I'm thinking T-glase for the motor mount if that is too brittle we'll try something else.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
When are you releasing the final plans and what would you recommend best for a intermediate pilot wanting to learn 3D flying?

Headbang

Master member
When are you releasing the final plans and what would you recommend best for a intermediate pilot wanting to learn 3D flying?
Goal is monday for the release. Need to make a few small adjustments, and then build 1 more to be sure all is well. This last one should also be the one I keep for myself. Need to get this off my plate, it was snowing today, need to get the new seaduck built!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Goal is monday for the release. Need to make a few small adjustments, and then build 1 more to be sure all is well. This last one should also be the one I keep for myself. Need to get this off my plate, it was snowing today, need to get the new seaduck built!

LOL , we are suppose to get snow tomorrow. CRAP

Headbang

Master member
So as far as best power system. A pack with 5g servos made for a very light build that could really slow down and had enough power to climb slowly. F pack with 5g servos was light as well but climbs much faster. F pack with 9g servos is a bit heavier and handles a light breeze a bit better. All will hover and do most 3D maneuvers. I think the ticket is the f pack 2205 with 9g servos as the best build. Second best is A pack 1806 with 5g servos (good indoor setup). This plane can turn it's self inside out and then some, the control surfaces are very extreme. I will have a few cg mark's on the plans, I have tested this airframe to death and moved the cg from nose heavy to crazy tail heavy and noted 3 possible sweet spots, pattern, basic 3d, and advanced 3d. On a side note, aside from losing orientation once (the black and white one is just aweful) and putting it into the crop with no damage, and the purposeful crash test I did. I have not crashed this plane. Lots of close calls tho with the crap color scheme, but saved by going from dive to climb on a dime.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
from dive to climb on a dime.
LOL, that needs to be trademarked or copyrighted or something! :D

3 possible sweet spots, pattern, basic 3d, and advanced 3d.
You can figure that out? Wow. I'm guessing pattern is the most forward. Basic 3d is the middle and advanced is the most rearward CG?

This plane can turn it's self inside out and then some, the control surfaces are very extreme.
Is that with the push rods in the outermost hole of the control horn, or the innermost? Same question for the servo arm. I hope we can dial that back a bit! :eek:

I think the ticket is the f pack 2205 with 9g servos
THAT's what I'm talking about!

Man, I have GOT to finish my current build! You are almost there with this one, and I really, really, really want to fly it! :D

Headbang

Master member
Figuring out cg for this application is a guess and test operation. Hopefully by me doing it, it saves others some time.

You do not want to dial it back, you need the throw for basic things like hovering. Key is to dial back your thumbs and learn the art of fine stick control. @Photo001 flew with no issues with the elevator and ailerons set to rates of 75% and 70% expo. I would guess his skill is not far off most people here. So set 3 rates. Rudder always 100% and 70% expo, others with low rates at 50% and expo 50%, mid rates 75% and expo 70%, high rates 100% and 70%.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Figuring out cg for this application is a guess and test operation. Hopefully by me doing it, it saves others some time.

You do not want to dial it back, you need the throw for basic things like hovering. Key is to dial back your thumbs and learn the art of fine stick control. @Photo001 flew with no issues with the elevator and ailerons set to rates of 75% and 70% expo. I would guess his skill is not far off most people here. So set 3 rates. Rudder always 100% and 70% expo, others with low rates at 50% and expo 50%, mid rates 75% and expo 70%, high rates 100% and 70%.
Ok. I'm here to learn. Which holes on the control horns and servo arms do you recommend?

Headbang

Master member
Ok. I'm here to learn. Which holes on the control horns and servo arms do you recommend?
I used the second hole on super long arms on the 9g servos, top hole on the control horns. On 5g servos I used the longest arms and farthest hole on the servos, and the bottom hole on the control horns. I think I also set the travel over 100 (was around 120-150) on elevator and rudder. By setting travel high like that instead of changing holes, you get better resolution.