Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
here is the design and the PDF

View attachment 142290
Oh, but heck yeah! :love: I'm thinking two laminated pieces of foamboard for the fuse. The tail and wings are just one piece, with maybe a quarter inch dowel for strength on the wings, glued right down the leading edge. I scale the plan down so that I can flip the wing plan and cut that out as one piece. That'll give it a thirty inch wingspan. A little big for an F-pack, but it'll be super lightweight.

I can attach the rudder and elevator to the fuse, so we can do a standard bevel cut or iron. I'll have to make modifications for the firewall, I still want to use the standard FT version. I'll have to resize the slots to be the correct thickness for the laminated foamboard.

How is the wing mounted to the fuse? Where do the battery and esc go? How you mount servos on a profile plane? This is starting to get exciting! :D

Headbang

Master member
Oh, but heck yeah! :love: I'm thinking two laminated pieces of foamboard for the fuse. The tail and wings are just one piece, with maybe a quarter inch dowel for strength on the wings, glued right down the leading edge. I scale the plan down so that I can flip the wing plan and cut that out as one piece. That'll give it a thirty inch wingspan. A little big for an F-pack, but it'll be super lightweight.

I can attach the rudder and elevator to the fuse, so we can do a standard bevel cut or iron. I'll have to make modifications for the firewall, I still want to use the standard FT version. I'll have to resize the slots to be the correct thickness for the laminated foamboard.

How is the wing mounted to the fuse? Where do the battery and esc go? How you mount servos on a profile plane? This is starting to get exciting! :D
Everything just straps or glues to the side of the fuse?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I might do a little downsizing/ modding to my plane to get it light enough to fly off my 2808 2400 kv motor. If I were to get another motor, I’d just go ahead and get s radial c pack (or something along those lines) for my ft edge and fly it off of 4 cell

Headbang

Master member
This sounds like a job for a 3d printer. But could be done in ply. Maybe notch the front to mount the motor recessed into the fuse, have a slip on mount. Basically a flat plate with a couple blades out the back spaced 10mm apart to slip on. Could use sqewers to hold it, or just glue it

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Another idea I just had was to modify the power pod a little bit, and cut a slot down the middle and have it slide over the fuse
I like that!

Super tempted to whip something up!
Do! This quickly became an awesome collaboration of people who want this plane to work. I am completely in the dark on this, it's just something I think needs to exist. It doesn't have to my signature on it. I've never even seen a profile plane in person. I'll take all the help I can get!:)

That one flies really well, but only does 3D ok in my opinion.
Where do you think it is lacking? Is it fixable? Extend the fuse or increase the wing area or control surface size? Go with the heavier fold-over wing?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The prop slot is an interesting idea. That's going to move the CG back! Have you flown it before?
Not me because I was given a 3D plane and have since purchased 2 others so there is/was no need!

I have attached on this post the original build/assembly instructions. Remember it was for a Depron model so a little reinforcing and lightening may be required as well as a more powerful motor installation but as something cheap to play with and plan around id could give you some valuable experience!

Have fun!

Attachments

• SUMO 3D BUILD LOG.pdf
    144.3 KB · Views: 0