Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

OliverW

Legendary member
I like that!

Do! This quickly became an awesome collaboration of people who want this plane to work. I am completely in the dark on this, it's just something I think needs to exist. It doesn't have to my signature on it. I've never even seen a profile plane in person. I'll take all the help I can get!:)

Where do you think it is lacking? Is it fixable? Extend the fuse or increase the wing area or control surface size? Go with the heavier fold-over wing?
I dunno. I think my servos were maybe just not enough and it was just a little squirrely.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
If you want to try a simple design you could try converting a Depron model into FB.

Find attached a simple, (Prop-Slot), 3D design.

Have fun!
I like that concept. Does anyone have any experience with the ft-3D? I want to run one on 3s with my emax 2215 old c pack motor. Hopefully that will give me a little verticle😀

Last edited:

Headbang

Master member
So just took 30mins and modeled something off the dimensions of the pilot edge v3 540. 30" wing, fuse is going to be 2 layers thick. Wing will be basic fold over. It is looking to be 2 sheets so far. Think the motor pod will look good as a v shape. Power pack seems to be in the A range or 2205 2300. I will finish it up tonight or tomorrow morning and toss it to my cutter for rapid prototyping. Will post the prototype plans as soon as I have them cleaned up in case someone wants to spring board off the drawings. Hope you can see enough to get the idea for now.
20190911_192301.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So just took 30mins and modeled something off the dimensions of the pilot edge v3 540. 30" wing, fuse is going to be 2 layers thick. Wing will be basic fold over. It is looking to be 2 sheets so far. Think the motor pod will look good as a v shape. Power pack seems to be in the A range or 2205 2300. I will finish it up tonight or tomorrow morning and toss it to my cutter for rapid prototyping. Will post the prototype plans as soon as I have them cleaned up in case someone wants to spring board off the drawings. Hope you can see enough to get the idea for now.
View attachment 142321
Cool!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
View attachment 142321
That's what I'm talking about! You don't fool around! :love:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I like that concept. Does anyone have any experience with the ft-3D? I want to run one on 3s with my emax 2215 old c pack motor. Hopefully that will give me a little verticle😀
Not yet. I happen to have one all cut out and ready for glue, though. Courtesy of @sundown57. I've actually got 11 planes all cut out and ready for glue, courtesy of @sundown57! Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know! :D:love:

Headbang

Master member
Not yet. I happen to have one all cut out and ready for glue, though. Courtesy of @sundown57. I've actually got 11 planes all cut out and ready for glue, courtesy of @sundown57! Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know! :D:love:
90% of the planes cut on my needle cutter are for others. I know some of those ppl have planes I have cut out sitting on the shelf waiting. And I always have a back log of requests!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I dunno. I think my servos were maybe just not enough and it was just a little squirrely.
THAT is fixable! We're on hold for @Headbang. He sort of took the idea and ran with it all the way to the bank! No need to invent the wheel twice. If his doesn't work out, I can lengthen the fuselage of @bracesport's file front and back and move the wing a bit more forward. That'll probably fix the squirliness and maintain a forward CG.

As for servos, I'm planning on 9gram, since that's what I've got. They've a little heavier than 5 would be, but they ought to be able to handle it without issue.

Headbang

Master member
Little closer, figured out the motor pod, building in 2deg right and down to it. Figured out the cg and checked it against my bigger version. I modeled this off of a pilot 67". I own one and it is an awesome airframe, so figured by just scaling it down to a 30" wing it should keep at least some of the goodness. This ends up being about 10-11% scale. I wrestled with losing detail on the nose to accommodate a standard ft firewall. Eventually settled as I figured it was better to use parts easily attainable and construction techniques everyone is familiar with. Should finish up pretty quick tomorrow.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Little closer, figured out the motor pod, building in 2deg right and down to it. Figured out the cg and checked it against my bigger version. I modeled this off of a pilot 67". I own one and it is an awesome airframe, so figured by just scaling it down to a 30" wing it should keep at least some of the goodness. This ends up being about 10-11% scale. I wrestled with losing detail on the nose to accommodate a standard ft firewall. Eventually settled as I figured it was better to use parts easily attainable and construction techniques everyone is familiar with. Should finish up pretty quick tomorrow.
You OWN this design! There is a caveat. @SquirrelTail has to build it and tell us how it compares. The poor kid volunteered after all. :p If school and life means he can't, then we've got to step up and do it.

You think you've a 3d capable, one sheet wingspan, F-pack powered, profile design? If you've got that, you have met all the requirements of everything I hoped to accomplish. Simple to build and repair or replace. Flies on the cheap. AND we can learn to fly 3d with it.

I promised my uncle that after I finished my Storch, I'd build his plane next. I'll pause the Storch build. I'll build his plane. Then I'll build yours. Throw us some video, please! You may have just designed a plane that fills a gaping hole in the FT offerings.

I gather that you recognize the importance of what you're doing. I figure that's why you jumped into it so fast. The vision may have been mine, but you've maybe created the doorway for countless pilots to be able to fly 3d in the future! YOU did that! Oooh, gimme them plans! :)

sundown57

Legendary member
no pictures, it didn't happen. And it's not just who you know, its when who you know knows everything.

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
You OWN this design! There is a caveat. @SquirrelTail has to build it and tell us how it compares. The poor kid volunteered after all. :p If school and life means he can't, then we've got to step up and do it.

You think you've a 3d capable, one sheet wingspan, F-pack powered, profile design? If you've got that, you have met all the requirements of everything I hoped to accomplish. Simple to build and repair or replace. Flies on the cheap. AND we can learn to fly 3d with it.

I promised my uncle that after I finished my Storch, I'd build his plane next. I'll pause the Storch build. I'll build his plane. Then I'll build yours. Throw us some video, please! You may have just designed a plane that fills a gaping hole in the FT offerings.

I gather that you recognize the importance of what you're doing. I figure that's why you jumped into it so fast. The vision may have been mine, but you've maybe created the doorway for countless pilots to be able to fly 3d in the future! YOU did that! Oooh, gimme them plans! :)
I am still gonna build it no matter what!! I never have anything on sundays so I think I could bang it out in one day.

Headbang

Master member
Build should be quick. At this point how well it flies has yet to be seen. Could be a total flop! Wing is going 2 be layers laminated with a spar, thinking just skewers for a spar. But could also be built as a single layer with spar. Stab is a single layer with skewer as a spar and a popsicle stick to reinforce elevator from side to side. Servos will just slot in. Esc will be strapped to the side. First builds battery will strap to the side, but may make a tray slot later once I have placement figured.
Not sure I saw importance, just got a bee in my bonnet lol