Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

mayan

Legendary member
I was telling @buzzbomb earlier in a post that I already built my third HB A/F Easy Edge, but before we can talk about that we have to talk about the second one I built.

The second one had BBQ skewers in the fuselage to try to re-enforce it, one over the wing the other under the wing. It helped with the fuselage not breaking but added a whole lot of weight making the A Pack setup not work well, but it still worked well with the F Pack on 5g servos. I don't recommend putting two BBQ skewers because they added a whole lot of weight, one would be enough. Also if you are putting a BBQ skewer in the fuselage don't glue it with Super77 it wont stick well. You'll have to add a whole lot of pressure and hold it there for a very long while before it dries up, and even then it might spring up. Like in the first one I sat up until 3 am to finish building it and totalled it in the morning the next day but how I totalled it is the question.

Watch the video bellow to find out. Will you find you!? :p

So now that we talked a bit about the second Easy Edge that I have built we can talk about the third one that I built, but I will leave that for a separate post.

Headbang

Master member
Nah, not stalling. Just needed a break. I still haven't figured out why I can't print the plans. I'm thinking about importing them into InkScape and then exporting back to pdf and then trying to print from Adobe again.

I'll figure it out. Meantime, I took a break from plane building and watched a classic monster movie that's older than I am, and I enjoyed it. The movie is a decade older than I am, is one the classic great monster movies of all time, and I'd never actually seen it. I'm really glad that I've now watched it. There's some great movie history, there.
I built them in inkscape and exported to pdf. I even test printed them on 4 different computers to 4 different printers. Maybe make sure you have the latest version of acrobat reader.

Headbang

Master member
I was telling @buzzbomb earlier in a post that I already built my third HB A/F Easy Edge, but before we can talk about that we have to talk about the second one I built.

The second one had BBQ skewers in the fuselage to try to re-enforce it, one over the wing the other under the wing. It helped with the fuselage not breaking but added a whole lot of weight making the A Pack setup not work well, but it still worked well with the F Pack on 5g servos. I don't recommend putting two BBQ skewers because they added a whole lot of weight, one would be enough. Also if you are putting a BBQ skewer in the fuselage don't glue it with Super77 it wont stick well. You'll have to add a whole lot of pressure and hold it there for a very long while before it dries up, and even then it might spring up. Like in the first one I sat up until 3 am to finish building it and totalled it in the morning the next day but how I totalled it is the question.

So now that we talked a bit about the second Easy Edge that I have built we can talk about the third one that I built, but I will leave that for a separate post.
So first off, while watching the video I suddenly started to shout "STOP, DON'T DO IT!" on that last hand launch. My wife looked at me sideways lol
Over all thoughts....
Your flying space is brutal on planes! You hit dirt litterally over and over! The plane somehow manages to be fixable each time. I am thinking I am happy with the durability, but time will tell. I love it! As I said before, this is not an easy plane to fly if you are not used to having this much capability, full throw allows the plane to almost wrap in on its self, which is good for 3d.

I tore apart 2 of mine, and reclaimed the electronics. Building another, hope to get some good video of it. I will also get around to getting the A pack tests video up at some point.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

That plane just wants to 3d! When you said "Let's try a throttle-up, full throttle" at about 6:58? You were going into a Harrier! The plane wanted it.

You do realize that you launched the plane upside down at 10:51? I'm not 100% positive, but I'm thinking that MIGHT have contributed to the crash... :eek:

;):):D:LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We love you, man. Get some darn sleep! :)

mayan

Legendary member
That plane just wants to 3d! When you said "Let's try a throttle-up, full throttle" at about 6:58? You were going into a Harrier! The plane wanted it.

You do realize that you launched the plane upside down at 10:51? I'm not 100% positive, but I'm thinking that MIGHT have contributed to the crash... :eek:

;):):D:LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We love you, man. Get some darn sleep! :)
@buzzbomb 10:51 you say? That was inverted launch backflip lawn dart trick I invented it you dig it? I’ll teach you if you want.

You hold the plane up right, then place it on the ground to fix something and when you pick it up again you pick it up upside down then full throttle and launch. Flip it with full up elevator and then cut throttle, understand that the plane is right side up and throttle up at the wrong angle directly into the ground, and don’t stop the motor until you hear that prop smashing into pieces :).

That’s pretty much what happened :/.

Next video is up already just waiting for it’s post. I just got up and had a coffee, wished my son happy birthday and now going to make another coffee one don’t cut it no more :). Then I’ll try sit down on my wife laptop cause my Mac is covered by plastic covers, the work room is being painted :/. Need to go finish that too :/. Errr so much to do so little time to do it, better get moving ;).

BTW @buzzbomb i like going flying in the mornings when I get a good two hour for myself and since fall is coming in fast I don’t want to miss any possible day to go fly in. That’s why sometimes I’ll go right after a night shift. I say to myself that I’ll have enough time to rest when I am 6ft under ;).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb 10:51 you say? That was inverted launch backflip lawn dart trick I invented it you dig it? I’ll teach you if you want.

You hold the plane up right, then place it on the ground to fix something and when you pick it up again you pick it up upside down then full throttle and launch. Flip it with full up elevator and then cut throttle, understand that the plane is right side up and throttle up at the wrong angle directly into the ground, and don’t stop the motor until you hear that prop smashing into pieces :).

That’s pretty much what happened :/.

Next video is up already just waiting for it’s post. I just got up and had a coffee, wished my son happy birthday and now going to make another coffee one don’t cut it no more :). Then I’ll try sit down on my wife laptop cause my Mac is covered by plastic covers, the work room is being painted :/. Need to go finish that too :/. Errr so much to do so little time to do it, better get moving ;).

BTW @buzzbomb i like going flying in the mornings when I get a good two hour for myself and since fall is coming in fast I don’t want to miss any possible day to go fly in. That’s why sometimes I’ll go right after a night shift. I say to myself that I’ll have enough time to rest when I am 6ft under ;).
Yep. We had a saying when I was in the Army: "I can sleep when I'm dead." :) The amazing thing about that inverted launch, is that you almost pulled it off! Just a little more elevator, and a whole lot more ducking on your part, and that plane would have flown right into the sky! :D

I'm not saying I'm going to try it, but: Inverted Hand Launch Challenge, anyone? :)

mayan

Legendary member
Yep. We had a saying when I was in the Army: "I can sleep when I'm dead." :) The amazing thing about that inverted launch, is that you almost pulled it off! Just a little more elevator, and a whole lot more ducking on your part, and that plane would have flown right into the sky! :D

I'm not saying I'm going to try it, but: Inverted Hand Launch Challenge, anyone? :)
True I actually almost pulled it off but I was shocked. I never understood what happened until I watched the footage and edited it.

Inverted hand launch challenge seems funny but can be dangerous :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
True I actually almost pulled it off but I was shocked. I never understood what happened until I watched the footage and edited it.

Inverted hand launch challenge seems funny but can be dangerous :).
In truth, meant as a joke only. The irony is, there are pilots on this forum who could probably do that with no trouble at all. I wouldn't recommend it, though. It's definitely asking for a world of hurt!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I've got plans!

20191012_020531.jpg

bracesport

Legendary member
this 'edge' business looks to be quite challenging for such a simple build - what is the key - low weight and good stiffness? :D

Headbang

Master member
this 'edge' business looks to be quite challenging for such a simple build - what is the key - low weight and good stiffness? :D
Key is, it is a simple build. Unlike the FT edge which is in the same ranks as the x-29 and seaduck for build level. I have seen more then one video of the FT edge looking like @mayan's videos. I have built an FT edge, it has a bit of time commitment to it, and looks pretty. The easy AF edge is just as hard to fly, maybe even more so due to size. But build time is super low as long as you do not get fancy. Once parts are cut out it takes 5-10 mins to build, and 30min to an hour to install and setup the electronics.

mayan

Legendary member
So as you all might know I have built a total of 3 of @Headbang 's A/F Easy Edge and love this plane. My first two didn't survive long and broke after their first maiden but the 3rd one will see his third maiden tomorrow. Thus I will use this post to sum up my experience with this model. First I would like to stress that this plane as easy as it is to build is not a joke! It's not a beginner plane and any beginner trying to fly this might very quickly get discouraged to continue with the hobby. With that being said if you have flown a plane or two and know the basic handling, rolls, loops, levelled flight and have the ability to save a plane from various scenarios but want to up your game into 3D flying this is a plane for you to start practicing with; build it, fly it, crash it, repair it, re-build it have fun I am!

I am still new to 3D flying an attempting to learn means I crash and break stuff, and thus try to re-enforce things to break less things and have to repair less things. Let me tell you a bit about my take for strengthening the plane up, based on my experience. I'll start off by saying that all planes have used the same setup 20A ESC and 5g servos, and all three have flown with both the A and F pack motors using a 6x4 prop.

The first plane I built had no re-enforcements to anything and was glued completely with brown gorilla glue, that made everything very stiff and didn't allow any flexibility thus caused things to break instead of bend. The second one was built using Super77 and had the fuselage re-enforced with a BBQ skewer going front to back above and bellow of the wing. This didn't work to well because the glue didn't cure fast enough and the BBQ skewers made a huge cap between the fuselage halves, giving it more thickness. In theory this is where I should have used brown gorilla glue because the foaming up of the glue would have filled in the gaps created and would have made for a super strong fuselage, because the BBQ skewers made it hard for the fuselage to actually break. The third one I built had no re-enforcements to the fuselage like a CF rod or BBQ skewer because I forgot to add it and when I realised it, it was already to late to add it :(. It was glued with Super77 which allows flexibility avoiding a break but rather a bend. Because I forgot to re-enforce the fuselage the way I wanted I wrapped it with vinyl which made it bend instead of break and the vinyl actually holds the FB together even if a break does take place :).

If I would have to recommend how to re-enforce the fuselage I would say use Super77 with a CF rod front to back above and bellow the wing. Another something I want to recommend is not to use Super77 on the wing because it will not hold well. Use either hot glue or brown gorilla glue and let it dry good. Another thing I want to mention is that I managed to balance the plane with 800mah/1000mah 3S batteries just a matter of moving the battery a bit back towards the wing center.

Any how here is a video of the first maiden flight of the A/F Easy Edge by @Headbang, enjoy.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So as you all might know I have built a total of 3 of @Headbang 's A/F Easy Edge and love this plane. My first two didn't survive long and broke after their first maiden but the 3rd one will see his third maiden tomorrow. Thus I will use this post to sum up my experience with this model. First I would like to stress that this plane as easy as it is to build is not a joke! It's not a beginner plane and any beginner trying to fly this might very quickly get discouraged to continue with the hobby. With that being said if you have flown a plane or two and know the basic handling, rolls, loops, levelled flight and have the ability to save a plane from various scenarios but want to up your game into 3D flying this is a plane for you to start practicing with; build it, fly it, crash it, repair it, re-build it have fun I am!

I am still new to 3D flying an attempting to learn means I crash and break stuff, and thus try to re-enforce things to break less things and have to repair less things. Let me tell you a bit about my take for strengthening the plane up, based on my experience. I'll start off by saying that all planes have used the same setup 20A ESC and 5g servos, and all three have flown with both the A and F pack motors using a 6x4 prop.

The first plane I built had no re-enforcements to anything and was glued completely with brown gorilla glue, that made everything very stiff and didn't allow any flexibility thus caused things to break instead of bend. The second one was built using Super77 and had the fuselage re-enforced with a BBQ skewer going front to back above and bellow of the wing. This didn't work to well because the glue didn't cure fast enough and the BBQ skewers made a huge cap between the fuselage halves, giving it more thickness. In theory this is where I should have used brown gorilla glue because the foaming up of the glue would have filled in the gaps created and would have made for a super strong fuselage, because the BBQ skewers made it hard for the fuselage to actually break. The third one I built had no re-enforcements to the fuselage like a CF rod or BBQ skewer because I forgot to add it and when I realised it, it was already to late to add it :(. It was glued with Super77 which allows flexibility avoiding a break but rather a bend. Because I forgot to re-enforce the fuselage the way I wanted I wrapped it with vinyl which made it bend instead of break and the vinyl actually holds the FB together even if a break does take place :).

If I would have to recommend how to re-enforce the fuselage I would say use Super77 with a CF rod front to back above and bellow the wing. Another something I want to recommend is not to use Super77 on the wing because it will not hold well. Use either hot glue or brown gorilla glue and let it dry good. Another thing I want to mention is that I managed to balance the plane with 800mah/1000mah 3S batteries just a matter of moving the battery a bit back towards the wing center.

Any how here is a video of the first maiden flight of the A/F Easy Edge by @Headbang, enjoy.
Well that certainly went better than the previous flights! You give me hope for my own eventual flights! I really liked that silver, too. I thought at first that it would make orientation difficult, but just the opposite seemed to happen. Thanks to the reflection and glinting of the sun, orientation seemed even easier than if it had a normal-type paint job!

Great flying, @mayan! It looks like you learned a lot on that one, and gained a lot of confidence, to boot! (y)(y)