Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ok it flew.... not just flew but flew very well! It felt exactly an Edge 540! Hovering is easy, knife edges all day long. I had the cg a little too nose heavy, will adjust that next time. It had a little wing rock while doing harriers. Maybe some sfg's would help that. Here are a few pics, I got video and will post as soon as I trim it. Updated plans will be out after a few more test flights.
View attachment 142760 View attachment 142759 View attachment 142756 View attachment 142761 View attachment 142757 View attachment 142758
Specs:
Flying wieght - 290g
Motor - Emax 2205 2300kv
Esc - Flite Test 30amp
Battery - eflite 3s 800mAh 30c
Prop - HQ 6x3
Servos - Flite Test 9 gram
Motor mount and control horns are standard FT plywood parts, pushrods are leftover from speed build kits. Linkages are all z bends on both ends. 2 Sheets of foam board.
Oh, heck yeah!

Headbang

Master member
Frackin' nice flight! That was 3d flight with a 2d plane, all the way! Just glorious for the first design! You're right about the oscillation on the harrier. But man, Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane? You just did that! Frackin' kudos! (y)(y)(y)
Thanks! Not the best pilot by any stretch, but I can muddle through a few maneuvers. Wing rock in harriers is pretty common. I want to build a power pod for the mini firewall, and add side force generators to see it that helps. I also want to increase the throws on rudder and elevator. Right now as it stands tho, it is well suited as a 3d trainer. I was shocked at how stable the flight was. That said, it is not a trainer! It is a 3d trainer! Good plane after you have mastered all sport pattern maneuvers.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Thanks! Not the best pilot by any stretch, but I can muddle through a few maneuvers. Wing rock in harriers is pretty common. I want to build a power pod for the mini firewall, and add side force generators to see it that helps. I also want to increase the throws on rudder and elevator. Right now as it stands tho, it is well suited as a 3d trainer. I was shocked at how stable the flight was. That said, it is not a trainer! It is a 3d trainer! Good plane after you have mastered all sport pattern maneuvers.
It was never intended as a first plane trainer. Purely as a way for an intermediate pilot to get into 3d flying on the cheap and easy. I crash a lot! I'm always pushing, or I get bored, so I destroy plane after plane after plane.

Then @kilroy07 sent me a laser cut kit for the FT Edge 540! What an awesome plane it is. It is so darn complicated to build, and repairing it is a nightmare. I'm afraid to fly the darn thing, because I don't just want to fly it. I want to get stupid with it and push my limits. That means I'm going to destroy it, and I didn't want to do that. I really like it.

That's the gestation of this thread, this idea. 3D. Cheap to build. Easy to build. No remorse when you crash and burn. Build another on the cheap and easy. Learn to fly 3d without fear! You and @Grifflyer are doing wonderful work towards those ends. Much better than I could have ever accomplished. Keep it up! My gosh, we're almost there! I am smiling from one ear the other, right now, just thinking about it. Thank you! :D

Headbang

Master member
Starting work on plan revisions. Larger elevator, slightly larger rudder, better clearances for both. Servo locations, battery location, reciever location. Rear servos will be moved 0.5in closer to the front to get rid of a servo extention wire. Rudder will be just 1 layer of foam board. There will be a mini power pod option (which will be the preferred solution). Plywood firewalls are preferable to save wieght. Potentially I will design a 3d printed solution. As it stands right now if you had a spare airframe with servos, it would take less then 5mins to transfer power pod, reciever, and set sub trims.

Headbang

Master member
I also want to try this with 5g servos to match the f power pack. As well want to try with old school A pack, and the new A and F radial packs. It will take a few days to get the radial packs, lhs does not have them in stock.

Apple Pie

Elite member
I also want to try this with 5g servos to match the f power pack. As well want to try with old school A pack, and the new A and F radial packs. It will take a few days to get the radial packs, lhs does not have them in stock.
Very very excited about this. I am just in the process of painting my first Edge and am getting quite nervous about actually flying it! I might just make one of these first to get a feel for a plane with really high roll and pitch rates.

And if you could share the dxf files for the plans when you have them updated that would be great. I’m getting terribly addicted to the needle cutter. It makes cutting out planes so much more fun!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Ok it flew.... not just flew but flew very well! It felt exactly an Edge 540! Hovering is easy, knife edges all day long. I had the cg a little too nose heavy, will adjust that next time. It had a little wing rock while doing harriers. Maybe some sfg's would help that. Here are a few pics, I got video and will post as soon as I trim it. Updated plans will be out after a few more test flights.
View attachment 142760 View attachment 142759 View attachment 142756 View attachment 142761 View attachment 142757 View attachment 142758
Specs:
Flying wieght - 290g
Motor - Emax 2205 2300kv
Esc - Flite Test 30amp
Battery - eflite 3s 800mAh 30c
Prop - HQ 6x3
Servos - Flite Test 9 gram
Motor mount and control horns are standard FT plywood parts, pushrods are leftover from speed build kits. Linkages are all z bends on both ends. 2 Sheets of foam board.

Very well done, friend. Excellent. (y)(y):eek::eek:
it's just what I was looking for. I have a friend who is anxious to fly 3d and I have an F pack ready for this.
Will there be plans soon? how big is this beauty??

Headbang

Master member
Very very excited about this. I am just in the process of painting my first Edge and am getting quite nervous about actually flying it! I might just make one of these first to get a feel for a plane with really high roll and pitch rates.

And if you could share the dxf files for the plans when you have them updated that would be great. I’m getting terribly addicted to the needle cutter. It makes cutting out planes so much more fun!
I will do one better, I will share my estlcam files as well. This plane takes about 10min a sheet on my needle cutter at 500mm/s

Headbang

Master member
Very well done, friend. Excellent. (y)(y):eek::eek:
it's just what I was looking for. I have a friend who is anxious to fly 3d and I have an F pack ready for this.
Will there be plans soon? how big is this beauty??
Wingspan is 29.5"
I will release the plans within the week. Still have to test a few revisions. And I will make a basic build video as well. As it stands right now you will need an f pack, 4 9g servos, 1 4" extention, 4 standard control horns, and either a standard or mini plywood firewall. If all goes according to plan (and it may not!), I hope to be able to use 5g servos included in the f pack, and get rid of the need for an extention.

Headbang

Master member
I'm very much looking forward to this, I'll have to order a power pack if a C is too much for it but otherwise I'm ready to cut.
Of course physically one could mount a 2215. Where the issue comes in is balance and wieght. For this to fly proper it can not be nose heavy at all. Added power of a 2215 would call for a larger battery. Basically you will end up chasing the cg and over all wieght will reduce capabilities of the plane.

Headbang

Master member
V0.2 plans done, will be cutting and assembling in the next 24hrs. If that goes well I will be building a 3rd one with 5g servos. I am just not sure if 5g servos are enough tho. Has to be tried, saving 16g I think will be noticable, and it will match the power pack.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Of course physically one could mount a 2215. Where the issue comes in is balance and wieght. For this to fly proper it can not be nose heavy at all. Added power of a 2215 would call for a larger battery. Basically you will end up chasing the cg and over all wieght will reduce capabilities of the plane.
Okay,I’ll just wait until you publish and order what I need.

kilroy07

Legendary member
@buzzbomb & @Headbang this is GREAT!
Not one to really like the profile look, but as a proud new owner of a Ft Edge myself I have to echo the sentiments of “I’m almost afraid to fly it!l” ... 😂
Having something like this will surely help my confidence level and help me transition.

Awesome that you plan on sharing, will definitely give this a go.

Thanks guys! 👍👍

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Wingspan is 29.5"
I will release the plans within the week. Still have to test a few revisions. And I will make a basic build video as well. As it stands right now you will need an f pack, 4 9g servos, 1 4" extention, 4 standard control horns, and either a standard or mini plywood firewall. If all goes according to plan (and it may not!), I hope to be able to use 5g servos included in the f pack, and get rid of the need for an extention.

I will be waiting. I'll keep following the post. Good luck and once again, excellent work.

Apple Pie

Elite member
I will make one in the simulator right now
Quick question. What plane(s) can you recommend practicing 3D with on the simulator? I’ve got realflight 8 and I’m planning on spending some time over the winter months developing my skills beyond circuits and basic aerobatics. I find the edge in RF8 really small and difficult to control with any precision. The extra is better but it didn’t look to me like you were using either of those 🤔