Three Dimensional Flying with a Two Dimensional Plane!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Also try to decide if I can get away with f pack 5g servos
I'm using 9g servos.
What size of battery are you using? I am a little torn on that right now. Experience with these 2205's tell me I need 30amp esc and 2200mAh pack. But I am thinking a f pack comes with a smaller esc, 2205, and 6x3 props. So might be able to get away with a 800mAh pack
I planning on using a 3s 800mah with a 20 amp ESC with a 6x4.5 prop.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Well she flew!! Roll Rates were WAY too high, but still manageable.
I did encounter a problem though. I decided to stress test the fuse a bit because I wasn't super confident in it. So I just banged the sticks around for a flight and when I landed I noticed there was some stress creases in the fuse, the fuse isn't reinforced, and I'm sure adding a CF spar would fix the issue but I don't have any more. I'm going to fix this and make the plane a bit more durable by doing a bit of a re-design and turn the fuse into an X style, this will also make placing electronics a LOT easier.

Headbang

Master member
Well she flew!! Roll Rates were WAY too high, but still manageable.
I did encounter a problem though. I decided to stress test the fuse a bit because I wasn't super confident in it. So I just banged the sticks around for a flight and when I landed I noticed there was some stress creases in the fuse, the fuse isn't reinforced, and I'm sure adding a CF spar would fix the issue but I don't have any more. I'm going to fix this and make the plane a bit more durable by doing a bit of a re-design and turn the fuse into an X style, this will also make placing electronics a LOT easier.
Good to here! Not sure there is such a thing as too high of a rate, all of that authority is a big help when in high alpha. Typical 3d setup for me is max elevator and max rudder with 60-70% expo on all rates. On some planes I set a mid rate with dialed back ailerons to make poptops and rolling harriers a little easier. I set a low rate on everything but rudder halved and 50% expo, but I can not remember the last time I flipped to low rates.

I was avoiding using carbon fiber as it is not easily attainable at an affordable price here. Where did the crinkles happen on yours?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Good to here! Not sure there is such a thing as too high of a rate, all of that authority is a big help when in high alpha. Typical 3d setup for me is max elevator and max rudder with 60-70% expo on all rates. On some planes I set a mid rate with dialed back ailerons to make poptops and rolling harriers a little easier. I set a low rate on everything but rudder halved and 50% expo, but I can not remember the last time I flipped to low rates.

I was avoiding using carbon fiber as it is not easily attainable at an affordable price here. Where did the crinkles happen on yours?
Just one big crease behind the wing.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Getting closer. After cutting I have spent an hr building so far. Next step is to figure out where everything goes to get the right cg
View attachment 142660 View attachment 142659
I like it! Your powerpod design came out pretty cool. You remembered the popsicle stick-trick from the Edge. Also a good idea! I think a 800mAh 3s should do just fine. I've also got some 3s 1300's that work well with the F-pack sized planes. For the size of the plane, I'd think 5 gram servos should work. My experience with 3D is extremely limited, though.

Headbang

Master member
I like it! Your powerpod design came out pretty cool. You remembered the popsicle stick-trick from the Edge. Also a good idea! I think a 800mAh 3s should do just fine. I've also got some 3s 1300's that work well with the F-pack sized planes. For the size of the plane, I'd think 5 gram servos should work. My experience with 3D is extremely limited, though.
3D puts a lot of stress on things, blenders have ripped apart more then one of my airframes, and stripped many a servo. Went with 9gram servos. When I maiden this one I will do some basic 3d stuff, then some high energy stuff. I fully expect to rip this airframe apart in a dramatic explosion of prop meeting foam as it rips out of a full throttle downward spiral into a full throttle flat spin in a fraction of a second.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I fully expect to rip this airframe apart in a dramatic explosion of prop meeting foam as it rips out of a full throttle downward spiral into a full throttle flat spin in a fraction of a second.
That's sad. :( But it's not what the design is for. It's supposed to be able to help a new pilot learn 3d on the cheap and easy. The plane doesn't have to be able to handle superG. It just has to be able to prop-hang, and harrier, and knife edge. 3d stuff.

Cheap to build. Easy to build. 3d trainer. Keeping the wings on in a high power dive? That's not what this plane is about. It's about having a platform where the rest of us can learn the basics of 3d flight. I think you may have accomplished that. Don't lose sight of the goal! :)

Headbang

Master member
That's sad. :( But it's not what the design is for. It's supposed to be able to help a new pilot learn 3d on the cheap and easy. The plane doesn't have to be able to handle superG. It just has to be able to prop-hang, and harrier, and knife edge. 3d stuff.

Cheap to build. Easy to build. 3d trainer. Keeping the wings on in a high power dive? That's not what this plane is about. It's about having a platform where the rest of us can learn the basics of 3d flight. I think you may have accomplished that. Don't lose sight of the goal! :)
As with any new design, one has to discover the limitations, I expect I will build a few of these with improvements each time. Some things could be as simple as a strip of tape to add support. Key is to make it as bullet proof as possible, as stable as possible, and stick to common FT materials and building techniques.

OliverW

Legendary member
3D puts a lot of stress on things, blenders have ripped apart more then one of my airframes, and stripped many a servo. Went with 9gram servos. When I maiden this one I will do some basic 3d stuff, then some high energy stuff. I fully expect to rip this airframe apart in a dramatic explosion of prop meeting foam as it rips out of a full throttle downward spiral into a full throttle flat spin in a fraction of a second.
Try doing a flush. If it can survive that you are good!

OliverW

Legendary member
I've never heard of a flush, I did a quick google search and couldn't find anything. Could you elaborate?
A flush is when you go way up high and go into knife edge full throttle and let it slowly descend in a circle that slowly winds up and gets smaller and smaller and then when you ate low to the ground you go into I knife edge spin into an inverted flat spin then recover.

Wildthing

Legendary member
A flush is when you go way up high and go into knife edge full throttle and let it slowly descend in a circle that slowly winds up and gets smaller and smaller and then when you ate low to the ground you go into I knife edge spin into an inverted flat spin then recover.

Need to see this, do you have a link to a video?

Headbang

Master member
Ok it flew.... not just flew but flew very well! It felt exactly an Edge 540! Hovering is easy, knife edges all day long. I had the cg a little too nose heavy, will adjust that next time. It had a little wing rock while doing harriers. Maybe some sfg's would help that. Here are a few pics, I got video and will post as soon as I trim it. Updated plans will be out after a few more test flights.
20190915_173813.jpg 20190915_173817.jpg 20190915_173822.jpg 20190915_173806.jpg 20190915_173802.jpg 20190915_173758.jpg
Specs:
Flying wieght - 290g
Motor - Emax 2205 2300kv
Esc - Flite Test 30amp
Battery - eflite 3s 800mAh 30c
Prop - HQ 6x3
Servos - Flite Test 9 gram
Motor mount and control horns are standard FT plywood parts, pushrods are leftover from speed build kits. Linkages are all z bends on both ends. 2 Sheets of foam board.