Too fast?

Royall

I'm ready to build my first plane. I love the looks of the Spitfire a lot. Is it possible to learn to fly with this plane if it is set up correctly? Am I asking for failure to do so?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
If you start with the simulator and can fly most planes there. GO FOR IT! But not a scale Spit !!! Something like the FT (David) Spitfire will fly as nice as any other plane. Dont fly unless you have plenty of space like they have on the FT videos.

Royall

Mahalo for the quick reply! Yes, David's plan is the one I'd like to do. I've always loved building the planes.... just get week knees when I think of crashing them! Building with foam instead of balsa just may get me over that fear.. Foam seems to be so much more forgiving and easier to repair.

Aloha

Royall

Just printed out the plans for this plane. Question is about joining the 24 sheets together. Do you cut all sheets at the dotted line to join? Or, just off one edge? Question make sense?

Mahalo!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Royall,

From everything I've seen, David's Spit is a gentle as warbirds come -- a great first warbird -- but if you've never gotten a plane in the air and back down safely, might not be the best first plane. For all it's many pluses, It's a zippy plane with full house controls (Throttle/elivator/rudder/ailerons), and weak/non-existant self-stabilization. It's also one of the more complex builds, but still doable.

I suppose it's up to your level of courage.

If you don't mind the real chance of smashing and rebuilding after the maiden go for it! If you can get an experienced pilot to lend a hand trimming and training, you'll have more than a fair chance.

Want something easier to build up your confidence with, start with the Flyer or old fogey. Much slower (speed kills), much more stable, easier to build (and repair), and simpler controls (throttle/rudder/elevator).

Either way, invest in props and remeber, it's just cheap foam ;)

Royall

Good words of wisdom Dan.... I may start the build on this plane just so I can be doing something but will look at the other plans as well. I still need to get the rest of the equipment coming too, so I can only go so far on any plane right now.

Mahalo!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Just printed out the plans for this plane. Question is about joining the 24 sheets together. Do you cut all sheets at the dotted line to join? Or, just off one edge? Question make sense?

Mahalo!

Been there, done that. I just cut on two sides so there is some overlap between papers. I now prefer paying extra to have them printed on a full size sheet.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Royall,

That first slowboat from the east pacific might reach you faster, but if you're like most of us, you'll have a hanger full of plans and planes waiting for parts!

I've yet to see a FT plane not worth the time it takes to build it . . . well, maybe the foulflyer . . . UGLY airframe . . .

Royall

Dan, have you downloaded any of the plans from FT? If you have, when putting them together, did you remove the the excess paper all way around to the dotted line on each individual sheet?

Did the guys at FT do a video working from the plans?

tramsgar

Are you inexperienced as a pilot also, or only as a builder?

If so, consider building and not only flying - the FT Flyer is a one-day build if you're inexperienced. If you crash it, you may laugh, the spit you have to put some more effort in, and it's a more complex build. Or why not build both and fly the Flyer first? If it's as easy as nothing then go ahead with the spit... Only you know what level of failure would make you give up, as long as you avoid that (and killing people with foam) you're doing it right.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Print out and lay out all the sheets in order and only cut off one side of each overlap. Should end up cutting two sides of most sheets.

So if you have 2 sheets that are over lapping, only cut to the dotted line on the top sheet so you still have overlap on the bottom sheet. Makes it easier for taping or gluing that way.

Royall

Thanks xuzme. That will help. I did cut my first foam today. Made the engine pod and found it isn't as easy and fast as they show on screen! When the guys "peel" that little piece out to fold up the sides, they make it look so easy! Part of the problem is the foam board I have is 5.75mm thick. (wish I had a Dollar store here) Had to cut out more of the grove to get the sides to fold up square. The foam really takes it's tole on the #11 blade.... I my have to rethink my cutting tools. At least I feel I'm off and running!

Mahalo to those that have replied...

CIMG3927.JPG

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Dan, have you downloaded any of the plans from FT? If you have, when putting them together, did you remove the the excess paper all way around to the dotted line on each individual sheet?

Did the guys at FT do a video working from the plans?

Been there, done that. I just cut on two sides so there is some overlap between papers. I now prefer paying extra to have them printed on a full size sheet.

I think you missed my answer :)

RoyBro

Mentor
Royall,
May I suggest trying the Old Fogey as your trainer. By swapping props & batteries you can fly it slowly or a bit quicker as you're ready. Plus you'll gain experience in building the FT way. I see you already have a power pod done which can be used with any of the swappables. Check out the review video and see what you think.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Royall,

fighting with foam gets easier. Still don't have the knack at bevels, but most everything else comes quickly with practice. Just keep those little squeegee foam scraps handy.

Haven't had success in tiling 8.5x11 sheets -- last time I tried, I had to go to the local Office depot for something else and just had them print on the big printer while I was there. Cost me $3.00, and so much easier.

Royall

Is that all it cost??!! Heck, not worth my time to putz with putting the pieces together!

What a lifesaver!! Do all Office Depots do this?

Royall

tramsgar

I agree with Colorex, it took me one evening to put together the last heap of plans carefully, and another to cut them out equally carefully. They still didn't turn out as good as I wanted them... Will print them full size at a print shop next time.

The latest plans, since that laser cutter came into business big time, has also been very... DIY-unfriendly imho. But I'll get back to that some other day.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Is that all it cost??!! Heck, not worth my time to putz with putting the pieces together!

What a lifesaver!! Do all Office Depots do this?

Royall

Dunno if your will and I bet the price may vary a bit -- especially out in your parts -- but I was surprised how cheap a B/W large page plot was too. Just specify B/W -- FT likes to color the lines, but it's really not necessary when cutting patterns. just make sure you've got a small color print or PDF open to reference as you go.

MrClean

If you've never flown before, even if your an ACE on the simulator, build a couple FT flyers and learn to fly them first. Then build one of the aileron planes and learn to fly them as well. The spit may be an easy flying airplane. It can also be a handful. IF everything is set up and flying correctly for your experience level then YES you probably could learn to fly on the spitfire. If something is out of whack your just going to tear things up. I've often been surprised at the level of flight capabilities some people I know have had before they've found out how to balance an airplane. Things just fell into place for them with the standard ARF trainers, sport planes. Then they got one that was out of spec and their lives became very interesting because they hadn't learned something that everyone else takes for granted from experience.

Learn to fly THEN start flying sport planes.