Transmitter - Which to buy?

MOS

Hello all. New guy here. I am new to anything RC, but am pretty interested in building planes and multi-rotors. I received an entry level quad as a gift, and have been busily learning to fly. After many crashes, I am getting good enough to fly almost through a battery.

I've been reading online on several sites and watching a number of instructional videos.

I think I am ready to start looking at more capable equipment, but don't want to buy something that I won't be able to use. I have read that the DXe and DX6 are good entry level transmitters, but I also read about Taranis transmitters. It seems that the two are not compatible with the same planes/quads - different communication protocols or something like that.

Like everyone else, I would like to get the best bang for my bucks. So what would be the best bet for a first transmitter?

Thanks in advance.

bitogre

Can you provide more information about the planes/quads you want to use the radio with? It might help us provide a better suggestion.

But, to give you more information on the radios you have mentioned, the Taranis is not a beginner radio. The menus are not intuitive and can be intimidating. However, I love my Taranis X9D+ as it is extremely powerful and you are unlikely to out grow it. Also, the JR module bay means that it can support many different protocols. Knowing what you want to fly would help in providing you info on where to get a compatible JR Module. Or, if you really know what you are doing, you may be able to hack together your own JR module from a compatible transmitter. Also, FrSky just came out with the Taranis Q X7 which is a nice lower price radio with most of the features of the Taranis X9D+ at half the cost. Most people will not need the few things they removed from the Taranis Q X7 making it a good option.

I do not know much about the DXe or the DX6. But based on what I see online, personally I would not go with the DXe due to the lack of a screen to allow you make changes to the model in the field and switch between models. From what I understand, the DX6 is a good beginner radio and does have the screen to set up models and switch models in the field. Also, both use DSM2/DSMX which is one of the most supported protocols (especially for BNF). They are not a bad option but you can out grow these radios though that may be a while.

One other thing to consider is what are the people in your area using. Having people near you using the same radio is useful in that they can help you with any problems you may have with configuring the radio.

Bottom line, I look at the two like iPhone vs Android with the Spektrum radios being iPhone and the Taranis being the Android. If you are very technically skilled (even better if you are a computer programmer), you may have no problems with the Taranis. If you want something simple, go with the Spektrum.

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Hi,
Last year i had the same decision to make.
I buy a pnp calypso from hobbyco and a tactic transmiter. Then i realised that its not compatible with sny other brands, so i buy a spectrum DX6e which i found more flexible because off the possibility to bind with Horizon Hoppy planes and the availability to bind with HobbyKing orange DSMX receiver.
I'm happy with both, but now i think i would buy a taranis.

abieex

Mentor
I believe DX6 all the way. Ive got a couple of fairly complicated models now and the DX6 has filled every need. I now have about 35planes and 2 quads in the memory. Very easy to use. By the way, I use the Lemon DSMX receivers which are pretty inexpensive. Good luck!

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
FrSky (Taranis) has lots of cool options. Various sensors you can buy, etc. But, a DSM2/DSMX capable radio will let you fly a lot of BNF aircraft. I have a Taranis and I just bought a used DX7. Perhaps I will pull the electronics from the DX7 and make a module for the Taranis, or maybe I'll just keep both. We'll see.

It does take a while to learn how to work with a Taranis, but the system is very flexible.

Mike

MOS

Thanks to all for the replies.

bitogre -- That's the thing... I'm not sure exactly which planes/quads I will end up buying. I believe that I am wanting to do some building/modding on one of the quads that I have now - an Inductrix clone. I also would like to build some of the planes that the Flite Test guys show on their channel.

In the work world, I work with computers and have done a bit of coding. So I can probably pick up the technical side of things. I remember spending many hours learning the command line, etc back in the days of DOS. I may want to learn that side of the RC world at some point, but don't think that I want to have to do that from the start.

I have seen the Flite Test folks using some kind of module in a controller to make it work with other protocols. If I have a FrSky radio and need it to work with the DSM2/DSMX protocol, is there such a module that can do that and vice versa?

Thanks again.

Padroo

One of the major expenses in building your own model after you choose your radio and have a bunch of batteries and a good charger is the cost of receivers. Spectrum receivers are know to be pricey so a lot of people buy off brands that are compatible with the radio. Taranis receivers are a little cheaper and some use telemetry giving the radio two way communication with the receiver. I own the Taranis Plus and it is my first radio and I love it so I can't be critical about other brands. It seems more people who fly quads use Taranis. JMO

jtrops

Bang for the buck is hard to calculate because there are a lot of considerations.

If it is just overall value for flying your own stuff I think it is hard to beat the FlySky Fs-i6x. It has more channels than you will be able to use right away, and as you grow it allows quite a bit of custom programming for mixes... The receivers are cheap, the range is excellent, and the Tx lasts hours on 4 AA cells. So, what's wrong with it? You will be hard pressed to find "bind and fly" models with receivers for Flysky. If you want to buddy box with another radio that a friend brings along it likely won't be a Flysky. If you are clever you can make a trainer cable that can connect it to a lot of other radios, but the cable wont' be on a hook at your local hobby shop.

On the other hand the new Taranis Q X7 is just out, and it is around $120 which makes it just about the best deal in a more full featured radio that accepts modules for other Tx protocols.

When I was looking for a radio I couldn't find many reasons not to get the FlySky, and it is now over a year later. I still am happy with the radio. I haven't come anywhere close to growing out of it. I haven't ever been sidelined because it wasn't Spektrum compatible. I like that the receivers are cheap (under $10 if you look around), so I can have a different receiver in each model that you have. Like many radios the i6 lets you store each model so you don't need to bind, and program every time you want to switch birds.

bitogre

Thanks to all for the replies.

bitogre -- That's the thing... I'm not sure exactly which planes/quads I will end up buying. I believe that I am wanting to do some building/modding on one of the quads that I have now - an Inductrix clone. I also would like to build some of the planes that the Flite Test guys show on their channel.

Either brand of radio will work for the FT planes and larger quads as you normally have to provide your own receiver. It is only the BNF planes/quads that you need to worry about. The Inductrix uses DSMX or DSM2 which will work with the DXe and DX6 out of the box. For it to work with the Taranis, you will need a JR module add on. I do not know if the Inductrix clone is also DSMx/DSM2. There are some micro quads similar to the Inductrix that will support the FrSky protocol of the Taranis but you have to order them that way. Most do not.

In the work world, I work with computers and have done a bit of coding. So I can probably pick up the technical side of things. I remember spending many hours learning the command line, etc back in the days of DOS. I may want to learn that side of the RC world at some point, but don't think that I want to have to do that from the start.

This is why I do not consider the Taranis a beginner radio but it sounds like you could handle it if you wanted to.

I have seen the Flite Test folks using some kind of module in a controller to make it work with other protocols. If I have a FrSky radio and need it to work with the DSM2/DSMX protocol, is there such a module that can do that and vice versa?

Thanks again.

Yes, there are module available or easily hacked together to allow the Taranis to work with DSMX/DSM2. I use one of the Hacks where I pulled the RF module from a DX5 and put it into a JR module but I have also used the Orange JR DSM2 module. The DXe and DX6 do not have any such option so you can get the Taranis to talk other protocols but it is very difficult to get DXe and DX6 to use anything besides DSMx/DSM2.

elw773

If you want a really cheap transmitter, I would get the Turnigy or flysky i6. However, if you want the most bang for your buck get the new frsky Q X7. It has the same features as the taranis so you could connect dsmx modules, etc and is relatively cheap. The only downside to these two is that most BNF models do not have flysky or frsky compatible options.

Jalapenoman

I have a similar question

I have a similar question. I am looking at transmitters to buddy box for my daughter that wants to get into flying quad copters. I have a RTF SYMA X5C-1 I picked up last year, and I am looking at RTF Blade Inductrix clones for my daughter, and maybe a BNF tiny whoop clone for me. What TX will handle all three, and do recommend getting two of the same TX to buddy box? I can handle programming an open source TX. It's been a while, but not out of my comfort zone.

Bricks

Master member
One of the biggest advantage of Spektrum after market receivers are ultra cheap and the amount of bind and flies with out having to do any hacking. Me personally I want to fly not have to deal with trying a transmitter that is not easy to program and use I luv my DX6 Gen 2. They can be bought off of RCgoups for any where from $90- $140. Lemon receiver's for Spektrum are very good and you can buy 5 Lemons for $25. Try doing that with some other Protocols. That alone saves me a ton of money in the long run between my nephew and me we have about 40 Lemon receivers and never a glitch.

jtrops

If you are working with "Clones" it is hard to know what protocols they will use. Most clones don't use the same protocols as the models they are designed after. With that in mind a radio that will accept modules could allow you to bind to just about anything. There is a multi module that will bind with something like 40 different receivers, and that should fix a lot of incompatibility problems.

As for buddy boxing, the the student radio only needs to send a PPM signal to the instructor radio, and the instructor radio is actually communicating with the model. So, only the instructor radio needs to be able to bind. I'm very new to all of this, so if I have it wrong someone should chime in and set me straight. If I'm right though as long as your radio can take a PPM signal in for buddy boxing, and you have the right cable to connect the two transmitters together, you should be able to make it work.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
As the owner of a DX7 and previously a DX6 (both GEN 2's) I stand by them as a very satisfied customer who has witnessed their outstanding customer service/support. Furthermore, I have a few BNF aircraft that cost less because I already have a transmitter. If I had to start all over I think I'd continue with Spektrum.

That said, I can't ignore the large number of Taranis owners. I put up a poll looking for favorite transmitter on the forum. Currently if I combine all those who favor Spektrum, the total still falls shy of the number who favor Taranis.

Check out the poll and click on one of the tallies voted and you will see who voted for what.
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?28011-The-Great-Transmitter-List

quimney

I fly a Taranis X9D+and really like it. When I want to fly my BNF planes I plug an OrangeRX DSM2/DSMX module into it. The module costs about $32 and works well.

Bricks

Master member
When you use the module on a Taranis if you change models don`t you have to rebind and set your controls parameters each time, because it does not save model into memory. That was my understanding unless you do a full module hack. Please correct me if I am wrong

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
When you use the module on a Taranis if you change models don`t you have to rebind and set your controls parameters each time, because it does not save model into memory. That was my understanding unless you do a full module hack. Please correct me if I am wrong

No.

In OpenTX the model configuration is independent from the Module so it doesn't matter if the module is installed or not to set up the model configuration. You just have to plug in the module, power up the TX and select the correct model if it is not the current one. Binding is a Module function and if the module has a serial interface that OpenTX understands then you can also get Model match functionality.

As far as I know....

The more recent Orange modules had a problem retaining bind if you switch between DSM2 and DSMX. Not sure if that is fixed with the latest incarnation (the so called V1.2)

The "MULTI" (aka 4in1 Module) has a better DSMX implementation and has no problem retaining bind as far as I know. It also uses a serial interface with the Taranis. You can flash some variant of the Orange module with the DSM support from the MULTI firmware to take advantage of the firmware improvements.

The hack DIY module retains binding...maybe depending on the Spektrum TX you get the internal RF module from but I think all likely candidates work.

Not sure about the Spektrum DM-9 module which is DSM2 only and the only "legal" (ie. FCC certified) option.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Not sure about the Spektrum DM-9 module which is DSM2 only and the only "legal" (ie. FCC certified) option.

The DM-9 was a CPPM module -- no serial connection -- so no, it won't work natively with the openTX for model match/memory.

It just so happens the modules out of the DX4e, 5e, 6i (all three are the same), MLP4DSM(low power) and HP6DSM (DSM2 only) left their serial coms clear and open for hacking (something HH fixed in later modules :p ), and the cracked interface was added to Open TX as it became popular.

Those modules *ARE* registered with the FCC as certified compliant to part-15 (it's a pain to find, but you can look them up) and while the DIY versions have been removed from their housing, the designed antenna is still used. It might be a hair breath over-the-line for not satisfying a certified part-15 device -- "modification" is such a broad term -- but it should still meet all the part-15 parametric requirements it was originally certified for. So, the RF is still compliant and you rebuilt it in your home . . . it should be fully a compliant part-15 device under the "home built" category.

These DIY modules are perfectly legal . . . assuming you don't make more than 5 at a time ;)