Tricopter or Quadcoptor for first one?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Landing gear on a tri? How does that (I suppose not) work
Like this:

02_tricopter.jpg

*EDIT*

Oh, I see, Burg has an actual wheel on his tri.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Landing gear on a tri? How does that (I suppose not) work

You don´t want to land on the battery do you? Especially Lipos don´t like that.

So what you do is either attach a BIG helicopter landing gear to the middle frame and let the lipo hang kinda between those two "legs"

or you do it like David or other various similar methods: You just put like something long enough onto each arm of the Tri so that all three arms wouldn´t be on the ground but lifted up a little so they also carry the middleframe off the ground.

I like Airwols way of doing it. Check out his thread!! He used 10mm wide zipties and they are stiff enough to keep that circle and dampen from falls.
http://flitetest.com/forum/showthread.php?762-Air-s-multicopter-project/page6

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
This is RadicalRC's optional multirotor landing gear for 10x10mm sticks.
So easy, very cheap (set of 4 for USD7) and works like a charm.
You can slide it wherever you want on the stick, and glue it.

I just bended the end piece and added a light wheel.
You can also use plastic balls, foam , etc.

LGear.jpg

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
You don´t want to land on the battery do you? Especially Lipos don´t like that.
So what you do is either attach a BIG helicopter landing gear to the middle frame and let the lipo hang kinda between those two "legs"

+1
Just like I did with my scratch build MONSTER quad ;-)
4x 3536 size 1000kv motors
4x 480 Watt
4x 660gr pull

Btw this is a HK heli landing gear .. SO light and strong !!

IMG00055-20110709-2306.jpg

IMG00058-20110709-2307.jpg

IMG00053-20110709-2305.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
OK, well I ordered all the stuff for my TRIcopter...yep, I decided to go tri as my first multicopter. My main deciding factor against the quad was flying the quadcopter on RealFlight...I HATE IT...it flies like crap. It's actually a +copter, not an Xcopter...that may make the difference. Anywho, I went with a tri. Here's my setup:

BlueSkyRC tricopter kit

Poplar 10x10mmx36" sticks for the arms

FC 28-22 Brushless Outrunner 1200kv

Prop adapter w/ Alu Cone 3/16x32-3mm shaft (Grub Screw Type)

Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC (card programmable)

HobbyKing Quadcopter Control Board V2.1 (Atmega168PA)

USBasp AVR Programming Device for ATMEL proccessors

FrSky V8R4 Rx

I'll try out both of these props and see...

9x5 Propellers (Standard and Counter Rotating) (6pc)

8X4R Propellers (Standard and Counter Rotating) (6pc)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
You could mount the wheels so it would roll. I've seen Blackhawk helicopters do rolling take offs, no reason a tricopter wouldn't be able to do the same.

I love the RadicalRC frames. I modified mine so it would fold two arms.

Unfortunately, I glued some placed I shouldn't have, and now in order to do the required repairs, I might have to completely rebuild.

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
I love the RadicalRC frames. I modified mine so it would fold two arms

Nice. Spoke with Dave from RadicalRC yesterday and he is thinking of remodifying the tri (and maybe also the quad) kits to be foldable. I suggested a short front boom with special GoPro mount. And a mini quad as well .. So keep checking the RadicalRC website!

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
OK, well I ordered all the stuff for my TRIcopter...yep, I decided to go tri as my first multicopter. My main deciding factor against the quad was flying the quadcopter on RealFlight...I HATE IT...it flies like crap. It's actually a +copter, not an Xcopter...that may make the difference. Anywho, I went with a tri. Here's my setup:

Great that you decided to build a TC. Good setup. I used those FC2822-1200kv on my firts one. They are perfect with both 8" and 9" props. But balance them well, specially with those quite long grub screw adapters. Would love to see a separate build thread here.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Will do. I plan on cutting down the prop shaft on those motors so the prop adapter fits flush against the motor.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
OK, so I'll bump this thread!

Going back to the main question, quad or tri; I started considering both.

The tail yaw servo on Windestål's design costs just as much as a new motor and ESC. So for me a tri and a quad are equally priced. However the quad, not having a yaw mechanism, is much simpler to construct and tougher in crashes. Yet the tricopter, having one less motor, saves a bit more battery.

So, I can't decide. I've been working on a tricopter frame so I'm morally inclined to do that first.

Meteor

this was Made by a Quadcopter

and This by a Tricopter:

Tricopter was first one and worked great but i would go for Quadcopter because you can fly more precice

Last edited: