Tricopter - Scratch Build

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Pretty standard.
35mm/37mm using David's frame.

attachment.php

See the build.

Just read a nice article about balancing the 750's so I'll try and do that this weekend.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Ok we solved the "lack" of run time issue.
I was setting my alarm to high.

After adjusting the alarm down to 10.5 volts which gave me a resting voltage of 3.7 per cell fly flight times went up to 7-9 minutes depending on how I flew.

I then flashed the KK 2.1.5 from 1.9 to 1.17 lite and this transformed the Tricopter into an incredible "on rails" flying monster.

attachment.php

I can't wait to get out to the flying field and chase down some planes in FPV mode.

drwestco

Quick question about the camera mount. David's scratch build vid shows some alignment lines engraved into the long sections of the tray to show where to glue the piano wire mounts. I don't see these indicated in the PDF version of the plans. I assume it doesn't matter terribly much - looks like the rear of the mount overlaps the back of the copter's body by an inch or so?

lankyjames

Quick question about the camera mount. David's scratch build vid shows some alignment lines engraved into the long sections of the tray to show where to glue the piano wire mounts. I don't see these indicated in the PDF version of the plans. I assume it doesn't matter terribly much - looks like the rear of the mount overlaps the back of the copter's body by an inch or so?

You're right there are no markings and it doesn't really matter, I'd glu the rest one first (use zip ties to hold it for you) and when you glue the front one adding some forward pressure to the bottom plate, such that the piano wire is not vertical but at a slight angle helps the bent ends. That are glued in between the wood pieces to 'lock-in' better- stops them being loose and adding extra vibrations :)

Shiv

I'm a newbie in RC field..I am planning to construct my first Tricopter ever...Can anyone help me to find the power rating to select the motor for a tricopter?.Arm length of frame: 50cm each...I need a thrust of about 2Kg...ie) nearly 666 gms for each motor.Thanks in advance..

drwestco

After forming the wire rings and adjusting the pieces dry until there was no slop, I bolted the upper brackets to the copter body to estimate the lower brackets' positions on the camera tray. The positions that worked out best put the rear edge of the bracket 30mm from the back of the camera tray, and 75mm spacing between front and rear brackets (measured between the two facing edges). Unbolted the upper brackets, glued up the lower brackets and camera tray, reassembled everything and it's good to go. Pretty clever setup!

YellowChecker

Quick question, I have the new 2.1.5 KK board (can't get the 2.0 anymore) and the Turnigy 3000mAh 4S 20C Lipo Pack battery

I have followed all the steps to build my tri, but when I turned it on it says : "Battery: 0.0 V". I searched and found that I somehow need to plug the JST-XH connector to the board's battery pins. I have no clue about what I need to do. I'm pretty new at this and can't seem to find the solution online. :(

What do I need to hook up the JST-XH connector of battery to the kk board?

Thanks!

Matthew Bettmeng

HELP! Tricopter issues!

Hello all,
I am brand new to forums, and I hope I am not a burden by posting this in the " wrong place"
I need some guidance on my new bat bone tricopter. I built it to be a camera ship, and am quite disappointed with the flight time. I am running turnigy park 300 motors, 30A multistar esc's, kk2.1.5, 8.45 props, and a 3s 2200. I am currently getting 3 minutes at the most for flight time, and that is in a hover!

I have tried larger props with a lower pitch ( 10.38's ) and one motor failed, all esc's and motors where hot/warm.

I also have tried a 4s 3000 and had much better preformance ( as expected ) but everything was way to hot, and the esc's and motors are not rated for 4s ( per hobby king's website).

I have researched everywhere and cannot find my issue, if there is anyone that can help I would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you in advance,
Mattthew

lankyjames

What do I need to hook up the JST-XH connector of battery to the kk board?

Thanks!

You need to solder a JST plug into your power distribution cable or board, straight from the battery and plug it into the red highlighted pins on the top-left of the kk2.1.5.

It doesn't necessarily have to be JST, a servo connector would work just as well