Tricopter Tail Moves on its own and doesn't center

Chris is Flying

Hello All!

Finishing up my build on my Tricopter V3.5. With the motors running the servo will drift to the right (it will start centered and then rotate to the right). If I put left input in.. the servo moves correctly but doesn’t re-center after the stick is centered.. it will stay left and then eventually drift to the right. When I cut the throttle, the servo will then re-center. I believe it is a setup issue but I am new to tricopters and could use some experienced help! I attached a youtube video of what it is doing.

I am running a
• kk2.1.5 flashed with stevis latest firmware and setup is identical to davids kk2 video
• TGY-210DMH Servo
• Afro 30A w/simonk esc’s
• Turnigy 9x
• pdb w/bec

Thank you!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Without props on, the FC can not move the vehicle the way it wants to. Are your sensors showing level in the spot it is sitting in the video? If you move it through roll, yaw, and pitch changes, does it respond correctly?

Cheers!
LitterBug

yurp

Put the props on and see if it does that when it tries to fly/hoover. With no props the motor is just spinning and the FC is not sure exactly what to do. If you still get this problem when trying to fly then there is an issue, but if only doing while no props probably the FC being unsure.

I have notice when i do tricopters with kk2 the tail servo moves a lot when there are no props or if the quad is just spinning motors but not taking off yet. Once you give throttle and start to fly/hoover it normally fixes itself.
Try CC3D or Naze32, they seem to have less sway in the tail servo (atleast in my experiences) but really shouldn't matter.

Chris is Flying

Without props on, the FC can not move the vehicle the way it wants to. Are your sensors showing level in the spot it is sitting in the video? If you move it through roll, yaw, and pitch changes, does it respond correctly?

Cheers!
LitterBug

Thanks for the quick response. I hadn't thought about if the FC was showing level and will check this out. However auto-level was turned off in this test, I'm assuming with autolevel off the kk2 board is basically flying "manual mode"?

With autolevel on, if I pick up the tricopter, I can hear the motor changing speeds but I have not seen the servo changing yaw.

Thank you!

Put the props on and see if it does that when it tries to fly/hoover. With no props the motor is just spinning and the FC is not sure exactly what to do. If you still get this problem when trying to fly then there is an issue, but if only doing while no props probably the FC being unsure.

I have notice when i do tricopters with kk2 the tail servo moves a lot when there are no props or if the quad is just spinning motors but not taking off yet. Once you give throttle and start to fly/hoover it normally fixes itself.
Try CC3D or Naze32, they seem to have less sway in the tail servo (atleast in my experiences) but really shouldn't matter.

Thank you, will try it with props later tonight.

Will also look into Naze32.. I am a little late to the multicopter game.. lol

yurp

never too late to the multicopter game!
the naze32 had a harder learning curve when you first get it compared to cc3d or kk2 (at least for me) but to me well worth it. all my crafts fly better with naze32 vs others

yurp

I love simplecopter. The designs of his multi rotors is awesome and super simple. Great ideas to use wood and zip ties to break away and quickly/easily replace.

Store is reasonable too. If you email him with questions he is really good at replying to help out too.