Trying to Choose a Transmitter

RCdiy

RCdiy
I love Flite Test but always recommend Aloft Hobbies for North American buyers.

Aloft Hobbies is the only authorized repair facility for FrSky in North America. You will not have to ship your radio overseas for service. Parts and labor are covered for the first year.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
+1 for AloftHobbies.

Great service and support.

The Aloft guy at FFW was very nice and knowledgeable. And wanted me to upgrade to Taranis. I had bought Futaba based on old school knowledge that had not been updated. Futaba is versatile and I am totally happy with it, but the cool kids all seem to want Taranis.

NiCK_NaMe

I have a Spektrum and a Taranis X9D plus SE I swear by the Taranis. Go for the Taranis. As we soon I should have a Spektrum Hack Module to plug in the back for my Taranis for DSMX/2 protocols so I can still use any Spektrum RX I have and the BNF planes. I will then be selling my Spektrum TX. Coming from first using DSMX protocols and a Spektrum guy here is why I recommend Taranis.

The value of it! Taking apart my Taranis. And watching a DX9 being opened up. The build quality is the same. I actually feel stupid for buy Spektrum in the first place. Not to mention buying receivers. FrSky is so much more value for a product that is of the same quality and half of the time better. Look at Spektrum AR 636 receiver it's a 6 channel RX w/AS3X... All AS3X is, 3-axis stabilization... they want $80.00 for it. FrSky S6R receiver. It's a 6 channel receiver with 3-axis stabilization... they same as darn thing for $30.00... economically a no brainer. That's even if you want stabilization! They are grossly over priced. Giving a fancy marketing name "AS3X" or even "SAFE" and sell it for double the worth. I can set up a FC with beta flite that can do the same thing as "SAFE" for free...

The transmitters... functionality a Taranis X9D plus SE is more than a DX18 yet costs the same as a DX6 and costs 1/4 the price of a DX18. There was nothing wrong with the old gimbals in the Taranis X9D plus. Just a few very experienced and top notch multirotor pilots who have had many radios to compare them with... didn't prefer them... and did a mod for the M9 hall effect gimbals. Now guess what FrSky did. Took all the mods and advice from the community and released a radio (Taranis X9D plus SE ) with all these mods. And sells it for cheaper than you could do the upgrade for. Yeah... Spektrum would not do that. They would release a new model name it something like hmmm I don't know... DX20 and sell it for $1,000.

Just look at how much horizon hobby sells a BNF UMX for just because of a "branded" technology name like AS3X and SAFE. Some thing we can do with 2 minutes in beta flight or a 3 axis gyro for a few bucks.. they charge $60.00 for a UMX RX/ESC flight board.

Just be wise in this market. Get the best value for your money and demand quality.

If you want DSMX protocols. Just get a module. You won't regret it.

NiCK_NaMe

There is nothing innovative or R&D worthy about using 3 axis gyro or limiting flight control surfaces. It Spektrum was innovating new ideas and bleeding edge technology then I would support buying it at a fair market price. But the prices they are asking for technology that is from yesterday and charging double price point then there competition. First off is completely idiotic business plan. And secondary it ripping off there customers. I really don't see how they can have any type of support for there products. It's like the apple and iPhone though. Suckered someone in with great marketing. Then once they have so much investment into the company with there $600.00 TX and 10 or 20 RX that cost $30 - $80 each. They really cannot switch. Like when you have $1,000 worth of music and applications from the iTunes store over the last 10 years and can't take it with you when you decide to go android.