trying to dial in my tri-copter and looking for some advice on throttle issue

irekkin

I guess I should give alittle info on my tri-copter then explain my issue. this is basically a David W. design, ht 750 motors, kk2 board with the latest stieves (sp?) firmware, afro 20 amp esc's, taranis plus tx and frsky rx. I can't tell you my p and I settings right off the top of my head but they are fairly conservative the problem i'm having is with the throttle. I can not hit that sweet spot where it will hover in one spot for any length of time. actually on the taranis it feels like the sweet spot is between " clicks " on the throttle stick, if that makes sense. would this be something in the hardware/ gimbal or is it something I need to adjust in the programing. if I could eliminate the constant up and down I don't think the rest would be hard to dial in. tia.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Someone with a Taranis (I don't own one) will have to explain the procedure to de-click your gimbals. It shouldn't be too hard and you definitely want to do it. That's the good news. The bad news is that when you are flying in Acro mode (aka Rate mode - full manual), or Horizon mode or even Angle mode you will never find a "spot" where you can maintain a hover without adjusting the Throttle. All multirotors need to constantly adjust the throttle. It becomes second nature after a while. Every control input requires throttle adjustment. Some of the controllers (with barometers) may offer altitude hold, but in my experience it's not terribly accurate or steady. If you are looking for that "move a helium balloon around and have it stay in one place when I let go of the sticks" experience, try the DJI Naza flight controller. This will be as close to that as you can get.

Best regards,
PCH

Declicking the taranis is rather easy:
Just remove the ~6 screws of the back, losen the screws of the shoulder switches that are between the 2 halves of the body, seperate the halfes a little bit watching out for the flat ribbon cables. You can simply unplug the ribbon cables by pulling the grey plastic thingy out a little bit and then remove the flat cable.
Then you can seperate the 2 halves completely and you can see a metal plate above the throttle gimbal. One half has a little indent in it, that's what is causing the clicking. Just undo the screw a little bit until it doesn't click anymore. You can tighten the screw of the not-clicky half a little bit, if you want more friction.
Then just do the steps in reverse order to put it back together.
It is really not hard, I did it yesterday without any manual whatsoever and everything went smothly (that's why I still know it in such detail lol). Just don't force anything and be on the watchout for cables being on the wrong spot by putting it back together.
If you need more help, im 95% sure there will be videos on youtube describing the whole process.

irekkin

hey guys, thanks
I wasn't sure if the gimbal was the problem or not but I had read some where of a similar issue and wanted to get some other peoples thoughts. actually my main problem is inexperience and not having enough time to practice every day or so. I hope in the next week or so I can post some video and some more details and get a little constructive criticism

Spastickitten

I said this on the taranis thread, but if you put a throttle curve on the throttle, you can get more control in a certain area (like expo), but you can control it a little better with the curves because you can change it to the place where your throttle makes the tri hover.