Ugly Wonder - Build

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Weight without Battery = 342 grams. Test flights will be with a 2200 mah 3S LiPo for an AUW (all-up-weight) of 530 grams. Just waiting for warmer weather to attempt the maiden now.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Ready for Maiden
2014-12-30 22.37.18.jpg

Elevator servo can be installed on the bottom of the fuselage for a slightly cleaner look.
2014-12-30 22.37.06.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
3D modeling nearly complete and I am updating the plans. Should have new plans up within a week.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Added a 3 view and Isometric view of the 3D model to the main post.

attachment.php

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Looks like the snow is here to stay until spring and it's much to cold outside to fly here. Maiden will have to wait until spring. Unless someone in a warmer climate wants to volunteer to be a test pilot?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I love the little bit of undercamber on the wing tips.

Thanks Ace. It's a really easy way to make the wingtips look a little nicer, but it also helps prevent tip stalls.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
With all the emphasis on the Baron did you forget about his Ugly sister. Lol looking forward to both of these coming out.

LOL. I haven't forgotten about the Ugly step-sister. Just busy behind the scenes getting the plans up-to-date with my new template. I should have plans up for it in a few days. I took lots of pictures during the build, so I just have to take some time to update the first post with instructions. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though. It's good to hear that some people are interested in building this thing, Ugly as it is. ;)

Oh yeah, I've also been working on some graphics for it as well. Nothing fancy, but a little something to add to the look.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Major update to the first post of the log. The Description section is complete, I have updated the specs from the latest (Beta 5.1) build, and have started the detailed build log section beginning with the fuselage construction. More updates coming...

As always, any feedback and/or criticism is strongly encouraged. I can't make these build logs any better if you guys don't tell me what you like and/or don't like about them.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Beta 5.1 Full-Size plans have been added to the first post!

I'll try to get the tiled plans posted this weekend too.

These are very close to what I feel will be the final plans. I have built to these plans and the construction went very smooth. Unless there are any major negative flight characteristics (which I doubt), there aren't likely to be any significant changes to the plans. More than likely, I will not be able to fly the Beta 5.1 prototype anytime soon (too wintery here in Wisconsin).

NOTICE: Anyone who builds, flies, and gives feedback on this version of the Ugly Wonder before I maiden mine, will have the option of having there name listed on the plans as a 'Test Pilot'. That and eight bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. ;)

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Wing Construction section of the build log is now complete.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
It went together great, every line, curve and slot married up as expected. Awesome plan layout. Here she is prior to electronics. Hope to get her in the air tomorrow. Plan to use the Basic Setup for this sortie.

That was unbelievably fast. Nice job. Thanks for the feedback on how everything fit up. Can't wait to hear how she flies.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
It went together great, every line, curve and slot married up as expected. Awesome plan layout. Here she is prior to electronics. Hope to get her in the air tomorrow. Plan to use the Basic Setup for this sortie.

The elevator servo get glued to the inside of the top plate of the fuselage. I think I posted a picture of that earlier in this thread. Optionally, you can cut the opening similar to the Bloody Wonder and mount it on the top. PM me if you have any questions on installing that.