Ugly Wonder - Build

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
More progress, I re-cut the horizontal stabilizer and went with a more subtle graphic. I think I'm going to add the shark teeth to the nose and call it done.

2015-02-15 10.55.39.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Now there ready to square off in combat!

The Adversaries!!!

2015-02-15 14.23.32.jpg

Very sweet air frames. When they look that good it makes that maiden tough, and then they fly and the blood pressure drops...... Slightly. They should be a riot to fly!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Posted links to the decal sheets I created for the British Ugly Wonder in the first post under the Plans section.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Downloaded the decals, great stuff. Any chance of get numbers 0 through 9? Just to change up numbers.

Okay, created custom number sheet 0 through 9. I removed the giant 7 from the first page. I made the numbers a lot smaller, about 2.25" tall now. I merged all the graphics into a 3 page single PDF file and updated the link on the 1st post.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
LAST CALL!

The snow is all gone and the mercury is on the rise. I will more than likely get my Ugly Wonder maiden flight in this weekend. If there are no issues with it, I'll be finalizing the plans and getting ready to release this one next week. Still time to get your name on the plans if you want to be a Test Pilot.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Well, no maiden yet. Still in a holding pattern for the weather around here.

I did the final assembly of the British/Yellow scheme Ugly Wonder tonight though so that I can finally finish up the assembly instructions.

Parts ready for final assembly
2015-04-01 23.29.42.jpg

What a difference a little color makes!
2015-04-02 00.09.17.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
And it FLEW!

DISCLAIMER: Sorry no video. I didn't get video of it tonight, phone started acting up. I did get some video of the Baby Baron and Keegan's Drake II flying off the water tonight though. I had several witnesses though, so yeah, it did happen. :)

I only flew it for a couple of minutes on the 24 gram setup. Ran out of daylight before I could try the bigger motor on it. It flies, as expected, very much like the Bloody Wonder MkIII. The size of the vertical stabs did not negatively impact the flight characteristics at all. I will be cleaning up the plans and releasing version 1.0 with an article soon.

More flight reports will follow when I get a chance to put some batteries through it with the NTM 2826 motor setup.

Rlhuffman049

I printed all of the files tonight and am currently cutting and building should have it ready for maiden tomorrow. Thanks for the plans, ill let you know how it goes. I'm a big fan of the plan lining system.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I printed all of the files tonight and am currently cutting and building should have it ready for maiden tomorrow. Thanks for the plans, ill let you know how it goes. I'm a big fan of the plan lining system.

Awesome. Please share your building and flying experience here. Post some pictures if you can too.

Rlhuffman049

Here is what I ended up with for the night. Just need to do a few more things however its late. I'm super happy with it so far. WP_20150408_00_46_10_Pro.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Nice looking bird. For being relatively new to scratch building, you did an awesome job on all the curved cuts. Nice work.

Last edited:

Rlhuffman049

Thanks man. It flew great. I don't have any 3s batteries but I did outfit it with a 10x4.7 prop and its awesome. The roll rate for me is pretty good. I'm flying with a dx5e so I don't have a chance for expos and such but I was able to keep it in the air with it. Also it held up to 10-15 mph winds very well. 8 minute flight time with a 2s 500mah battery. Very fun to build also. Very simple to cut and put together. I think I may cover the whole thing in packaging tape for durability. Thanks again for taking the time to put these plans out.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thanks man. It flew great. I don't have any 3s batteries but I did outfit it with a 10x4.7 prop and its awesome. The roll rate for me is pretty good. I'm flying with a dx5e so I don't have a chance for expos and such but I was able to keep it in the air with it. Also it held up to 10-15 mph winds very well. 8 minute flight time with a 2s 500mah battery. Very fun to build also. Very simple to cut and put together. I think I may cover the whole thing in packaging tape for durability. Thanks again for taking the time to put these plans out.

Thank you for the great feedback. That will be be helpful info for others who might want to build one too. I'm really happy that you got it flying.

Make sure if you are going to cover the whole plane in tape that you use the 2 mil clear or colored packing tape. Don't use extreme packing tape or duct tape or it will add too much weight.

Happy flying!