*Unofficial* FT A-10 Warthog

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I was originally considering printing my own EDF's , but I wasn't sure I could get enough thrust, which is why I was considering just purchasing them. I really like this plane, and I am looking forward to seeing it fly with your setup. It will be interesting to see what the thrust capabilities are.

On 6S, 2x 3S packs in series (or 4 packs 2x parallel 2x 3S series packs) it had plenty of thrust, I never actually measured the thrust though.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I got the plane all together and threw 2x 3S packs in series in her and throttled up...LOTS of oscillation at anything above about 25% throttle :( I think the struts on the new ducts are just too thin and with the amount of thrust 6S is putting out they are moving a bit. I was attempting to swap the props in order to see if it was at all related to the slight curvature in the struts and I damaged the one motor trying to get the prop nut off :( Then while trying to connect to BlHeli to reverse the motor directions and I got a nice flash from the FC while plugging the battery in, strange bc I had not touched anything physically on the FC when it happened.

So my A10 is back to hangar queen status. I think I will try to model some new ducts that use the beefier design like Drone5 and incorporate more cooling similar to the BDFs and Chris398mx designs. I will also need to figure out what FC I am going to put into this plane to get it back up and running.

Drone 5

Oh dear. What a pity.
I don't seem to have a overheating problem with my motors with my original duct design but there again the weather is always cool here in the UK.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I made up a duct that is beefy like yours but has some cooling to try to help out. This was the test one and I am currently printing the first replacement. Luckily I have a spare motor to replace the one I damaged.

PXL_20201130_011658818.jpg

Also slotted the motor screw holes to allow 16x19 and 16x16 bolt patterns.

I had glued the thinner ducts/spacer foam in, so I might have to rebuild part of the nacelles...we'll see as I dig into it.

chris398mx

Master member
Making my own BDF 'jet' housings. Does it matter where the prop sits in the housing? Looks to be easier for me if it's toward the front.
No, I don't know for sure as far as the correct way. I would think the prop should be at least 1/2" or more from the leading edge of the duct though. But again, that would just be my guess.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Sorry I haven't checked on the FT forum in a little. Attached the latest STL's I printed, I am using Ender3 also but printed in PLA. I printed the inlet right on top of the motor mount with supports set to 85Deg I believe. I then printed the Aft duct and glued it to the motor mount/inlet.
They seem to be much more stable then the thin "BDFs" but I now have too much noise on the FC so the OSD gets all messed up when I throttle up. Using the F722-WPX with the PixelOSD chip so it's not as easy a fix as the standard OSD/VTX noise.

Attachments

• FTA10 NAFPV inlet v1.STL
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FTA10 NAFPV aft duct v1.STL
    23.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FTA10 vented motor mount duct v2.STL
    691.8 KB · Views: 0
Sorry I haven't checked on the FT forum in a little. Attached the latest STL's I printed, I am using Ender3 also but printed in PLA. I printed the inlet right on top of the motor mount with supports set to 85Deg I believe. I then printed the Aft duct and glued it to the motor mount/inlet.
They seem to be much more stable then the thin "BDFs" but I now have too much noise on the FC so the OSD gets all messed up when I throttle up. Using the F722-WPX with the PixelOSD chip so it's not as easy a fix as the standard OSD/VTX noise.
Great! I'll try printing here. also have some PETG I'll try. Will let you know how it works out. I am cutting my own A10 'jet' mounts as I didn't buy the plywood, so planning on sizing them for this.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Great! I'll try printing here. also have some PETG I'll try. Will let you know how it works out. I am cutting my own A10 'jet' mounts as I didn't buy the plywood, so planning on sizing them for this.
I found the nacelle brackets on thingiverse, although I had to melt off the inner tabs in the circles of the forward brackets to fit the 3D printed duct and thrust tube.

I used this link to get the template to make a thrust tube, I believe I used 90mm for the top and the bottom would be 104mm, with around 200mm length. https://www.templatemaker.nl/en/cone/

Got these printed - very nice! The housings are in PETG, the inlet and outlet in PLA. Now to figure out props and motors. I think 2207 motors (1750 kv) and 4052 3 blade props?