*Unofficial* FT A-10 Warthog

Drone 5

The undercarriage in the wings were bent as per the pics of Nerdmampap, posted March 20th and sandwiched between 2 pieces of foam and then that was stuck onto the motor nacelles. Extra wood support was then fitted. The wire attached to the underside of the wing was saddle clamped onto ply and 12mm square blocks were added to the underside to take the screws. The paper was removed so that the ply could be stuck direct to the foam. Also cut outs were done in the wing so the 12mm blocks could sit inside the wing cavity.
The front nose leg was done similar but a piece of 25mm EPP foam was glued inside to fuselage. See pic. The wires were tied with thin wire and then soldered.
Hope that helps.

jpot1

Elite member
I love the way my full size fly's that I am considering a 60% version with two F pack motors. Before I spend the time resizing plans and A/B folds, thought I'd check here to see if anyone has already done this and is willing to share plans?

Scratch built, and just finished up and ready for maiden.

Attachments

• IMG_20190511_182045.jpg
    IMG_20190511_182045.jpg
    932.8 KB · Views: 0

Drone 5

Very nice colour scheme.
Hope she flies as good as mine.
I have had to put 2 degrees of down thrust on each motor. She was pitching up a lot when full throttle was applied. That sorted it.

epsilon

I'm super tempted to throw edfs and retracts in this... especially since i think the P38 is coming out in the next couple weeks and the new radials i bought at FF19 would be perfect for that... Plus i just crashed my L39 the other day and even once i fix it up it'll be nice having another 6s capable plane to fly. hmmm... guess we'll see when i get that far.

epsilon

Very nice colour scheme.
Hope she flies as good as mine.
I have had to put 2 degrees of down thrust on each motor. She was pitching up a lot when full throttle was applied. That sorted it.

Hmmm... that might have just answered my primary question... how did you add 2 degrees?

Just maidened mine tonight.
First off, felt a bit slow to me at 50% which was a catch 22 problem I'll get into here in a moment. For starters, I flew this with 2 2200mAh 3s on 9x6 Master air screw props spinning in the same direction. Had cg placed nose heavy right past the second wing crease. Upon launch I actually thought I was super tail heavy as she really nosed up hard. This really perplexed me though as, if anything, I set her up to be super nose heavy. In reality, as soon as I throttled back to around 50% she would level off and fly straight but it really felt like I was flying right at the low end of her speed envelope (hence the speed issue.) Every time I increased throttle though she'd pull up hard. I didn't miss something specific during the build video about thrust angle did I? Another thing I noticed is it looks like one of my motors came with the speed brake engaged, I don't remember seeing any documentation in the boxes on entering the config mode so I'll need to look into that. All in all she's a beautiful bird and once I get her dialed in I'm sure I'll love her but boy those first couple flights weren't really that fun...

Drone 5

Hmmm... that might have just answered my primary question... how did you add 2 degrees?

Just maidened mine tonight.
First off, felt a bit slow to me at 50% which was a catch 22 problem I'll get into here in a moment. For starters, I flew this with 2 2200mAh 3s on 9x6 Master air screw props spinning in the same direction. Had cg placed nose heavy right past the second wing crease. Upon launch I actually thought I was super tail heavy as she really nosed up hard. This really perplexed me though as, if anything, I set her up to be super nose heavy. In reality, as soon as I throttled back to around 50% she would level off and fly straight but it really felt like I was flying right at the low end of her speed envelope (hence the speed issue.) Every time I increased throttle though she'd pull up hard. I didn't miss something specific during the build video about thrust angle did I? Another thing I noticed is it looks like one of my motors came with the speed brake engaged, I don't remember seeing any documentation in the boxes on entering the config mode so I'll need to look into that. All in all she's a beautiful bird and once I get her dialed in I'm sure I'll love her but boy those first couple flights weren't really that fun...

Hi Epsilon
That sounds like a motor thrust problem.
I just put a couple of thick washers in-between the motor mount and the motor to angle the motor downwards. the motors I am using are Sunnysky 2216 1250kv swinging counter rotating 9x4.5 props. That stops any side thrust issues. The battery is a 3300mah 4s. 2 ESC, Turnigy Plush 40amp.
My CG is as stated on the plan with a bit of nose heavy attitude.

I am based in East Yorkshire, UK
Where are you?

epsilon

Hi Epsilon
That sounds like a motor thrust problem.
I just put a couple of thick washers in-between the motor mount and the motor to angle the motor downwards. the motors I am using are Sunnysky 2216 1250kv swinging counter rotating 9x4.5 props. That stops any side thrust issues. The battery is a 3300mah 4s. 2 ESC, Turnigy Plush 40amp.
My CG is as stated on the plan with a bit of nose heavy attitude.

I am based in East Yorkshire, UK
Where are you?

Thanks for the input, think i'll try that... i'm in Toledo Ohio

epsilon

Ya know, i did have to do a fare bit of trimming towards the front to get my wing to sit down into the fuse properly.... now that i think about it, that would have caused the thrust and wings angle of attack to change...

epsilon

Let me know how you get on.

So, just flew after adding down thrust... was a bit gusty but felt 100%better! Even risked a couple rolls. So light though she really gets bumped around. Also busted my new 10x6 wood prop on a decent landing so might be putting actual landing gear on her. We'll see... speed was better but no jet for sure. Might need to start investing in 4s batteries.

Drone 5

Hi
Good to hear that there is an improvement.
I first tried a 3s battery but found her a bit sluggish. What a difference the 4s has made.
Mine does not like the wind either, but there again neither do I.
Its always a bummer breaking props.
If you do decide to add landing gear, let me know if I can help. Its one of the best upgrades I have done and does not look too bad in the air.
Keep me posted.

epsilon

So, threw some 10x7's on for this morning and that seemed to help with the slugishness on 3s. Didn't burn up the motors so... i don't have anything fancy telling me anything useful. This is based solely on the fact that the motors still work! lol I'll probably hold off making any mods until i can fly a couple times in better conditions but it certainly feels much better.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
What are these ply parts for?
The two longer parts in the center.

IMG_20191018_192631323~2.jpg

I have watched the A-10 build vid, but perhaps I'm too thick to see where this part is used. I did search this thread, maybe not thoroughly enough, and didn't find anything about it.

Can someone please tell me what they're for?! Thank you!