*Unofficial* FT P-38 Lightning

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
BTW, here is where you can find most of the FT plans:

You're welcome but thank @SP0NZ and John Overstreet, they did all the work (I just knew where it was :LOL: )
That's true,you did play a small part though in pointing this numpty in the right direction,and to think I'm trusting myself to build this then actually fly it 🤭😆 Are there plans available for the FT Tutor as maybe I'm better starting with that?!😂

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
That's true,you did play a small part though in pointing this numpty in the right direction,and to think I'm trusting myself to build this then actually fly it 🤭😆 Are there plans available for the FT Tutor as maybe I'm better starting with that?!😂
You can get the Tutor plans via the FTCA Portal if you are a member. FT Tutor plans
If you join as an Aircrew member the plans are $6 and there is a perk that gets $6 off in the FTCA Store, so you can get them for $0. Not too shabby.

Last edited:

crossj_2002

This is a really great plane. I built mine this summer and have had about 4 flights on it. It handles wonderfully in the air, but I did find an issue with the tail section on a hard landing.

Rhaps

Elite member
This is a really great plane. I built mine this summer and have had about 4 flights on it. It handles wonderfully in the air, but I did find an issue with the tail section on a hard landing.
Good to know, I got kit and if I ever get to build it I now know to reinforce the tail

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Working on Marge #5. Starting the painting process today... I'm using this metallic silver Rustoleum paint that takes forever to cure. Trust me- you have to let that stuff sit for many many days before you touch it. Permanent fingerprints all over your finish- that's why this one is hanging up for her paint job.

Marge #1 died from a low level barrel roll.

Marge #2 was from the loss of a propeller on takeoff.

Marge #3 was sold to a buddy.

Marge #4 was given to the same buddy after he totally obliterated Marge #3.

Marge #5 features the 3D printed parts from Motagami Designs, plus a bunch of stuff taken from Thingiverse, like a pilot, machine guns, cockpit, etc. I also cheated and bought a canopy from Motion RC for their FliteLine P-38 (which is a little bigger but its close), as my homemade canopies really look crappy. I'll post a photo when she's all done.

Attachments

• 20231206_073036.jpg
    20231206_073036.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Draftman1

I started cutting mine out a couple of days ago on the neadle cutter.

I am also printing the parts out.

It’s build season here, can’t wait to get started

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I started cutting mine out a couple of days ago on the neadle cutter.

I am also printing the parts out.

It’s build season here, can’t wait to get started
Its a fun one, for sure. Sometimes I can roll the booms almost perfectly, other times they are full of crinkles. Happy building!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
All done with Marge #5. Such a great plane with a great history.

Attachments

• 20231220_174925.jpg
    20231220_174925.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_174935.jpg
    20231220_174935.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_175006.jpg
    20231220_175006.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_175015.jpg
    20231220_175015.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
All done with Marge #5. Such a great plane with a great history.
Beautiful! You're getting really good at those. One of my customers has a press brake from the WWII era that has a War Department brass tag on it because it was used to manufacture something for the military. You may need to get one of those tags for your glue gun. :)