*Unofficial* FT Simple Scout

Hell2Go

I love those wheels. Looks like the bottoms of soda cans. What is the tire material? Do you have a thread on the wheels?

They will look very appropriate on the Simple Scout! Also, the Scout finish is stellar! Nice work.

It's 5/8 inch window backer foam from home Depot I colored with a black sharpie. .. saw a YouTube video on making the wheels... if you want a little smaller wheel, you might be able to use RedBull cans, and larger wheels with Arizona Tea cans, or Fourloco. JUST keep the glue temp down on that foam, it's sensitive. I just cut it a hair short, a square cut and glue the ends together to make a ring, then stretch it onto the wheel, then color it. Find the exact center when you drill your hubs, then epoxy (JB Weld) the can bottoms together and put a wire thru the center and adjust it to spin true before it sets up... show me some pics of your wheels!

Hell2Go

View attachment 98171

The newest addition to the ever growing fleet!

That's a sweet looking Scout, did you get to fly it yet? Our weather kinda sucks lately... did you have any trouble balancing it? I put a bigger motor on and a 2200mah 3s and it still wants to be a little tail heavy. (I used a Sunnysky 2216-1100kv, at just above half throttle she will hover) I just can't wait to maiden it .

daxian

Elite member
build season started....made a start on the simple scout...
waiting on servo's motor/esc ... simple scout.JPG

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
That's a sweet looking Scout, did you get to fly it yet? Our weather kinda sucks lately... did you have any trouble balancing it? I put a bigger motor on and a 2200mah 3s and it still wants to be a little tail heavy. (I used a Sunnysky 2216-1100kv, at just above half throttle she will hover) I just can't wait to maiden it .

Thanks Hell2Go! I have not had a chance to fly yet. Looks like I'm a short drive away from you in Williamsville. We have the same weather :p. Hopefully we can get a few decent days in soon! Where do you fly? I fly at a park near my house and I'm a member at Brauer's Aviators in Pendleton. Unfortunately the owner of the land the club field is on sold the property and we are losing our field. We haven't found a replacement field yet and I may need to look for a new site for 2018.

Last edited:

Hell2Go

Thanks Hell2Go! I have not had a chance to fly yet. Looks like I'm a short drive away from you in Williamsville. We have the same weather :p. Hopefully we can get a few decent days in soon! Where do you fly? I fly at a park near my house and I'm a member at Brauer's Aviators in Pendleton. Unfortunately the owner of the land the club field is on sold the property and we are losing our field. We haven't found a replacement field yet and I may need to look for a new site for 2018.

I've been to Bauer's feild, it's too bad they sold it, I'm fortunate to have a private feild to fly at my Dad's house on East Canal road, but I have also flown at the Day road flying feild in Lockport. I have also flown at Pendleton Park a few times as well. I'm hoping to get the chance to maiden my Red Baron Scout on Thanksgiving day, if it flies well, I'll be building a squadron of colored Baron Scouts

Hell2Go

2017-11-23 13.04.32.jpg

Well, it survived the maiden today. I had to use a 2200mah 3s to get it close to balance. The plans say 1.75 inches from the leading edge, but I had it back another inch or so, about 1/3 of the cord and it flew great! (It should be in the center of the spar after looking it up again... I think the 1.75 inches was for the minight scout.) It was kinda windy for a maiden, but I was desperate to fly it. I'm using a Sunnysky 2216-1100kv, a lot more motor than flitetest recommended, but it was what I had... and I needed that extra weight to balance. I think the overall paint job added some tailweight, the next one, I will only paint the topside, and push my wing towards the rear instead of the front when I glue it in.

As for the flight... I gave it a little more than half throttle at take off so I could see how it tracked on the ground. Straight until it picked up a little speed and the tail came off the ground, then it turned slightly into the crossing headwind, as expected. ABOUT 30 feet out, I gently pulled back on the stick and it lifted off the ground immediately. I let it climb at a gentle pace to see if it was in need of trim... not one click! I continued to make a gentle circle of the field concentrating on if it needed trim as it turned through the 10mph winds... still no trim, so on the first pass I throttled up a little ( 3/4 ) and pulled it back for a loop into the wind... big smooth and straight. ( Big smile ) then proceeded to do a couple rolls, nice and smooth... I like the way it flys, does exactly what your expecting when you move the sticks. THEN I switched to high rates for the third pass, I pulled back hard for an aggressive loop, she almost back flipped in about a 5 foot diameter loop, Whoa, that was exciting but completely controllable. THEN a roll... about 4 complete rolls in a second, really fast, scary fast... my heart is racing now, so I throw it back into low throws, do a couple more loops and rolls, throttle back to less than 1/4 and turn it into the wind and slow it down to a crawl, no bad tendencies. .. I click it back up to about 1/3 throttle, one more circle for the approach into the wind and try to keep it level as I come in to land in the gusty wind... at about 2 feet off the ground I backed down the throttle a little more ( shouldn't have yet) and I dropped it down a little hard and slightly bent the landing gear as it tipped onto the nose... no damage, glad it's down safe, now I can let it wait for a nicer day to fly, and in the mean time, I can start to build a few more of various colors.

Last edited:

Eldowr

Super Nub
Built

20171216_015825.jpg

20171216_103220.jpg

20171216_103241.jpg

Just need the wind to die down!
Probably going to be under powered, I only have 2S 1000mAh batteries for now.

Hell2Go

Hold it vertically and rev it up, if it will almost hover, it will have enough power to fly nice,... also if you have 2 equal 2s lipos you could make a series plug and run it as a 4s if your esc can handle it...

Last edited:

Hell2Go

I really like this plane, I feel it's one of the best flying FT designs I've built so far. I'm building 2 more for my Dad and son, a Yellow Baron, and an Orange Baron, respectively. I am moving the wing slot back .5 inches from stock, and extending the motor mount pod to put the front surface of the motor mount just below flush with the nose of the plane to improve my balance, as the full paint job makes it tail heavy. I will post results and pics shortly

Eldowr

Super Nub
Hold it vertically and rev it up, if it will almost hover, it will have enough power to fly nice,... also if you have 2 equal 2s lipos you could make a series plug and run it as a 4s if your esc can handle it...

Still waiting on good weather, but I think it'll putz around fine on the 2S. I'll read up on the B-pack ESC, but I'm pretty sure it is rated to handle 4S; thanks for the tip!

My SBK kits showed up the other day and can't wait to get mine together! Am I going to be one of first to build one on floats? Good ol snowy Michigan doesn't approve of standard landing gear at the moment.:eek:

lleemon

Can I use these for FT Simple Scout build?

I am looking to get the FT Simple Scout and wonder if I can use the following I have laying around? I see in the build video he uses 4g but looks like recommend is 9g. My biggest question, can I use the Park 370 motor or should I get something else?

E-flite Park 370 Brushless Motor, 1080Kv
BLHeli 30A ESC (XT60)
HQProp 10x4.5
4 - Emax ES08A II 8.5g Servo
2 - Emax ES9051 4.3g Plastics Digital Servo

Thanks for the advice.
Lee

I just stopped by to mention that I think that the original design for the Scout must have been for the servos to be mounted at the tail instead of amidship. Both of the Scouts I have built have ended up seriously nose heavy unless I moved the servos aft.

Beavis

I just stopped by to mention that I think that the original design for the Scout must have been for the servos to be mounted at the tail instead of amidship. Both of the Scouts I have built have ended up seriously nose heavy unless I moved the servos aft.

Mine have been a bit nose heavy, but I have compensated by moving my receiver further aft. Battery placement becomes significant, and I had to add a small nut and washer to the tail to balance out. But it is so much easier to add a tiny bit of weight to the tail than it is to add weight to the nose.