*Unofficial* FT Simple Stick

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's so funny - It sounds like "Ooh! You're my favorite artist! I taped all your songs off the radio!"
Actually its the fact that I live in Canada so to get anything shipped here is such a hassle with taxes and fees to the time it takes to be delivered. It just isn't worth it. For me to get the same package across the border in a timely fashion for say a $50 kit will cost me another $40-50 shipping and handling, or I will wait for anywhere of up to 8 weeks for delivery. Would you spend twice as much for a kit when you could go to the local dollar store and download free plans for 5 bucks total.

Just for the record i do purchase other goods from FT to support the cause plus I am also really involved in this forum to help encourage others to support the cause as well. So I feel I am paying it forward by promoting the FT program. And helping others create solid experiences, making friends and being educated as I progress are all icing on the cake.

Your "tape your songs off the radio" comment is cute though, I know people like that back in the day when people actually taped stuff off the radio. Not really any different then downloading free music. If you aren't buying the album or supporting them through an online music store then it is the same thing. Cheers

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Progress...

1597295662474.png

1597295681155.png

It's such an easy, fun and relaxing build. Can't wait to fly it!

Rhaps

Elite member
Progress...

View attachment 176961

View attachment 176962

It's such an easy, fun and relaxing build. Can't wait to fly it!
It certainly looks like well tought out build.
However it has couple of pet peeves of mine that also apply for Scout and Cub

1. I really doubt recommended 1300 mah 3-cell is heavy enough to balancethe plane. It certainly didn't on my Scout or Cub (nor on Hangar's Stick :)) . I guess the dummy radial is for that ;).

2 Landing gear goes mushy pretty fast - at least on my landing style:rolleyes:. Or worse - it actually breaks the hull. I would be curious tho if other's find it fine.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

1. I really doubt recommended 1300 mah 3-cell is heavy enough to balancethe plane. It certainly didn't on my Scout or Cub (nor on Hangar's Stick :)) . I guess the dummy radial is for that ;).

2 Landing gear goes mushy pretty fast - at least on my landing style:rolleyes:. Or worse - it actually breaks the hull. I would be curious tho if other's find it fine.

1. I will be testing that theory out myself. I have 3S & 4S 1300 mAh packs, as well as 3S & 4S 2200 mAh packs that I intend to try with it.

2. The gear on my Simple Cub damaged my fuse after a rough landing. I'll keep an eye on it with the stick to see how forgiving it is.

moret

Build you landing gear out of layers of popsicle / craft sticks. Each layer 90 degrees angle to the one below. Also use the sticks to reinforce around the slide in area in the fuse.
1597328572160.png

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That's what I liked about the older builds with the rubberbanded landing gear. It absorbed a lot of abuse, but they don't seem to use it anymore...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's what I liked about the older builds with the rubberbanded landing gear. It absorbed a lot of abuse, but they don't seem to use it anymore...
That has been my go-to style of gear as well. I have reinforced the tab-n-slot style before, and just like anything else on the airframe the impact energy needs to be dispersed somewhere, it tends to destroy the fuse. The usual spot of failure would be the slot that opens up or the tab gets soft and loose. The rubber band technique eliminates all this and just absorbs the energy in the rubber bands and 99% of the time on damage.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

The rubber band attached landing gear did work well.

I really like the landing gear on the Legacy. A smaller version of that would be great for the simple series planes (Cub, Scout, Stick, etc.), It does make the kit packaging more challenging though as you can't flat pack the aluminum landing gear. Sadly, it looks like FT is no longer making those landing gear sets. I did get an extra set for the Legacy (large) and the medium size (smaller) set when they were available on the store. I started to build an earlier beta version of the FT Simple Stick with the medium size gear, 4.3 inch "stomper" wheels, and a C-Pack motor. I will finish that one eventually as well.

1597332448121.png

This one should be a lot of fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

I really like the landing gear on the Legacy. A smaller version of that would be great for the simple series planes (Cub, Scout, Stick, etc.), It does make the kit packaging more challenging though as you can't flat pack the aluminum landing gear. Sadly, it looks like FT is no longer making those landing gear sets. I did get an extra set for the Legacy (large) and the medium size (smaller) set when they were available on the store. I started to build an earlier beta version of the FT Simple Stick with the medium size gear, 4.3 inch "stomper" wheels, and a C-Pack motor. I will finish that one eventually as well.

View attachment 177001

Are you designing your own radial firewalls or are you getting these from somewhere else. I looked on Thingyverse and found the selection was very limited. I figured more people would have done these...

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Are you designing your own radial firewalls or are you getting these from somewhere else. I looked on Thingyverse and found the selection was very limited. I figured more people would have done these...

https://www.thingiverse.com/sp0nz/designs

My own designs. The dummy radial works with my new firewall. The firewall can be used with or without the dummy radial, and supports x-mount or direct mount of the FT B/C Radial motors.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 177001

That would be difficult to pack, but it does look like great LG! If they bring them back, I’ll have to pick up a set to try it out.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
She's done! Maiden should be tomorrow if all goes according to plan (that never happens). I did make some modifications...

1597438035035.png

1597437968596.png

Built a servo/Rx tray and reinforced the landing gear slot with craft sticks. Cut a craft stick in half, perfect length for this application.

Last edited:

ACE62

Hey Sponz how close are the plans to being released? Secondly, why is Flite Test eliminating and discontinuing so many things. The Legacy in particular. That was a nice bird and that landing gear was awesome????

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hey Sponz how close are the plans to being released? Secondly, why is Flite Test eliminating and discontinuing so many things. The Legacy in particular. That was a nice bird and that landing gear was awesome????
Nearly done on my end, but I am waiting on Flite Test for some other information regarding the plans. Right now, there is no exact ETA on when they will get released.

Some of the planes that have been discontinued make sense to me, but there are a couple that do not. I am not involved in any of that decision making and do not know anymore than you folks do. The Legacy I do know (based on info JBix shared in a YT message) will be making a return in Maker Foam with different landing gear. I do agree, the landing gear on the original Legacy is very nice. My guess is it was a pain to ship because the kits are flat pack and the gear is not. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I'm just glad I got a couple sets of the large gear and a set of the medium gear while it was available.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Nearly done on my end, but I am waiting on Flite Test for some other information regarding the plans. Right now, there is no exact ETA on when they will get released.

Some of the planes that have been discontinued make sense to me, but there are a couple that do not. I am not involved in any of that decision making and do not know anymore than you folks do. The Legacy I do know (based on info JBix shared in a YT message) will be making a return in Maker Foam with different landing gear. I do agree, the landing gear on the original Legacy is very nice. My guess is it was a pain to ship because the kits are flat pack and the gear is not. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I'm just glad I got a couple sets of the large gear and a set of the medium gear while it was available.

Is there a "Discontinued" section or something, that I've missed? Most the kits that were removed from the FT Store have returned with the Maker Foam update. If there are discontinued kits, is there information on the store, forum, or elsewhere, about them?