*Unofficial* Mini SE5 Biplane

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Reinforced the Wing struts with barbecue sticks.
Painting is also done but the psint is drying. Pictures will follow.

IMG_4114.JPG

IMG_4115.JPG

Ricci

Hi,
this is the actual stat after first coat of paint. Olive drab on the top and sail color on the bottom.

FullSizeRender 19.jpg FullSizeRender 20.jpg

To paint the wooden parts i use a technik from plastic modelling. Paint first with the airbrush and acrykic paint and then paint the woodgrain with oil paint and brush usind odoreless thinner. Effort is about 5 minutes.

FullSizeRender 25.jpg

FullSizeRender 21.jpg FullSizeRender 24.jpg FullSizeRender 23.jpg

The servo wires and conection between bottom and top aileron.

FullSizeRender 22.jpg FullSizeRender 26.jpg

Maxstudio

Hi,
this is the actual stat after first coat of paint. Olive drab on the top and sail color on the bottom.

View attachment 94602 View attachment 94603

To paint the wooden parts i use a technik from plastic modelling. Paint first with the airbrush and acrykic paint and then paint the woodgrain with oil paint and brush usind odoreless thinner. Effort is about 5 minutes.

View attachment 94604

View attachment 94605 View attachment 94606 View attachment 94607

The servo wires and conection between bottom and top aileron.

View attachment 94608 View attachment 94609

Coming along nicely!!!

Ricci

Looks good! I like the faux wood finish

Thank you. It's a really simple, fast and leightweight technique.

That is the SE5 1:32 scale from Wingnut Wings i build some time ago. I will try to make same paint.

C599ACEA-08FB-493A-8609-3E3AA25E65F9.JPG

Ricci

The Landing gear is also finished. The Wheels are self made and i added the center conection. Now details, finish the paint and install electronics. The CG seems to be perfect.

FullSizeRender 27.jpg

Ricci

Bel lavoro Ricci
Beautiful Work Ricci:)

Grazie.

Last steps before maiden.
I added a cooler and I'm building the exhausts using rasterized Plans. Thanks for share.

IMG_4164.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4167.JPG

The blue paper will be painted with iron.

Ricci

Finaly finished and ready for maiden. Total weight including 850maH lippo and Ailerons is 350Gramm.
The CG fits perfect.

FullSizeRender 28.jpg FullSizeRender 29.jpg FullSizeRender 30.jpg FullSizeRender 31.jpg FullSizeRender 32.jpg

Ricci

Thank you Michael Today i maiden the SE5. It flys fantastic! So fun and easy to fly. The Ailerons are not effective enough with the dihedral. I have to mix 40% Ruder but with this setting rolls nice. Video is uploading.

Giomaz

Ciao Ricci intanto complimenti per SE5 è molto bello, volevo chiederti cosa intendi con: (Gli alettoni non sono abbastanza efficaci con il diedro)
forse mettendo gli alettoni...sarebbe meglio avere meno diedro sull'ala?.
Sono curioso di vedere il video, poi appena ho un po di tempo devo cominciare a costruire il mio.

Hello Ricci Meanwhile congratulations for SE5 and very nice, I wanted to ask you what you mean by: (The Ailerons are not effective enough with the dihedral.)
Maybe putting the ailerons... it would be better to have less they gave on the wing?.
I'm curious to see the video, then as soon as I have some time I have to start building my own.

Ricci

Cia Giomaz, il aleroni non son efficaci per curvare. I diedro fai mas forza que el aleroni produce. les aleroni solamente move 10 gradi. e necesario plus de movimento aleroni o minuir il diedro.

The Video is up. now.

Bobthestickman

Hey Everyone
I just wanted to share my experience so far. Having had success with my first plane (a Tiny Trainer), I decided to attempt something more advanced and went with the SE5 because I love its cartoonish looks. The build went together fairly easily however the maiden didn't, it flew as if it was very tail heavy despite the CG being on the fold of the upper wing. On my first attempt I didn't use enough throttle and it nose dived into the ground, On my second it pitched up almost immediately and rolled over. On my third it pitched up and was very twitchy, after a few seconds it went behind me and went out of sight, I heard the sickening crack as it managed to miss all the lovley long grass and slam into the only concrete path. The damage wasn't as bad as expected, it seems that the power pod soaked up most of the energy.

Looking at it after I'm not too sure how to check my CG, because the top wing is so much higher than the body it seems that the plane sits flat regardless of where I put the battery. I'm going to try again with the power pod a bit further forward.

I also ran into another small problem in the specs for the the SE5 the control throws are given as 12 degrees but the throw gauge in the plans gives 21 and 27 degrees for low and high rates. Does anyone know what the proper low and high rates should be?

IMG_3586[1].JPG

My slightly sad looking SE5

(P.S. this is my first post please be nice)