Versacopter vs. RTF quad?

jack10525

So I have been really looking into a quad lately and kind of ruled out the versacopter due to price and complexity. I've been looking at the rtf quads like the eachine falcon 250 or the arris x-speed. These supposedly come rtf which I think will help the learning curve. I want something I can learn on and grow with. I'm pretty sure the rtf quads are not easy to repair when crashed due to proprietary parts. I am also trying to figure out the complete price of the versacopter. In the FT store if you go on the cheap side with a 3s battery and electronics it's only $179. This does not include a radio $50+ or flight controller $???. So it's close to $300 I'm guessing. Then I have to assemble and program (some how). Is there anything I am missing on the versacopter?

jack10525

So what all is needed for the FT Versacopter? The store only lists the frame, power packs, and batteries. What about flight controller and radio? Will any 6 channel radio work?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
You'll need the frame, power pack, flight controller of your choice, battery, battery charger, radio, a receiver for the radio if it does not come with one, and of course lots of props. Any 6 channel radio will work.

jack10525

Incase any other newbies stumble across this thread I think an RTF is the way to go. Anything you have to build it going to require 1000 times more work, time and $$$. It's just not worth. Think of it as building a pc vs buying one. Buying a finished product is the way to go.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Or doesn't even work out of the box.

I have done both RTF with the Runner 250 to start and then a Versacopter build and then an Alien build. Builds are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better in every way. I did get lucky with my Runner though as it still fly's. There were many that had issues out of the box and more that had problems due to design flaws. You don't have that many issues if you build them PROVIDED you do some research and have half a clue before starting.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
There's one fault I have with the versacopter is the delrin sides.

Well, I removed them and replaced the side plates and screws with aluminum standoffs.

Now the thing is a tank!

I love it again.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I loved building it. Not so good at flying it, so I moved on to planes. I figured once I can fly a plane, a quad should be much easier. But in any case, crashes just aren't that big of a deal so long as you stick with a standard frame or one that is cheap. The most expensive crashes I ever had were when I either lost good batteries or they were damaged. Start with an 1806 2300kv based quad to start with. It will go plenty fast enough and the motors are cheap and you won't need really expensive batteries. Along the way, you'll learn stuff. Learn how to solder. Last night, I decided I needed a bit more wire length between the motor and my ESC, so it was a simple matter to cut off the bullet connectors and solder in 3-4 inches of wire. Bullet connectors aren't great, anyhow.

None of this means I don't enjoy my DJI Phantom, too. But that is a photography platform, not a sport flying machine. I fly it carefully.

Mike