• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Very Newbie!

I've had an itch for flying forever but haven't had time to focus on it.
Caught the youtube videos and had to have a go! :) :D

Waiting for my PowerUp Dart to arrive! :)

Love wings and while I've never worked with foam, I'd thought I'd try with cardboard.
Worked the downloadable files to fit a manila folder and dived in.
Wingspan - 25 cms
Flies quite well but needs power! :)

Cheers!

Attachments

Seahunter

Welcome to our FT family. If you need any help, just post here or in the category to match your build and we have a lot of mentors who love solving problems. Great start with the manila folder, you should do well :)

Welcome to our FT family. If you need any help, just post here or in the category to match your build and we have a lot of mentors who love solving problems. Great start with the manila folder, you should do well :)
Thanks.
I wanted to start small - maybe too small :D but I was aiming for something the PowerUp Dart could drive.
I want to build a VariEze! :)
Cheers

Welcome to the FT family if you need anything just let me know
Thanks. I expect my first effort will be a horrible mess - but a good learning experience.
I've downloaded the plans for the FT-Mini Tiny Trainer.
My first mistake was not realizing the model's size. I bought A3 sheets. :unsure::whistle: I should be able to join them together for the larger parts. 🤞 :cautious::)

Interesting medium. I use to build 3D models of my assignments from file folders when in college as I had a hard time visualizing the assignment from just 3 views. takes me back.
Didn't you have a perspective view? :D I used to teach 3D animation. :) It can take practice to go from a mental image of what you want and using a tool - computer or bit of paper - to make it. Cheers :)

The first cut is the deepest... :D
Cutting out the nose for the glider version...
The cutting guides for the B-fold join seem thin - 4mm as opposed to the 5mm board. Have made adjustments... :)
FT MiniTinyTrainer01.jpg

Dante

I have also found that cutting curves is hard because it beads up, and the knife always seems to cut at an angle.
Three recommendations:
1) use as sharp of a blade as possible
2) on straight sections use a wide blade to keep it straight (like a sharp utility knife blade) like this
1537529618234.png
3) on curves use a skinny blade like an exacto knife or a small break off blade razor like this
1537529550708.png

Didn't you have a perspective view? :D I used to teach 3D animation. :) It can take practice to go from a mental image of what you want and using a tool - computer or bit of paper - to make it. Cheers :)
This was before CAD. (I'm old). Most often, I would only have a 3 view to go from. I found it helpful to build models from manila file folder to help me visualize the finished product. I guess that's why FT is so appealing to me. We're talking early '80's here. Seeing your post took me back.

This was before CAD. (I'm old). Most often, I would only have a 3 view to go from. I found it helpful to build models from manila file folder to help me visualize the finished product. I guess that's why FT is so appealing to me. We're talking early '80's here. Seeing your post took me back.
OLD! Join the club! :D I started doing CGI in the mid-80s :) on a Symbolics Lisp machine. (Had to get State Dept. approval to import it into NZ because it could calculate ballistic flight paths - but it couldn't render shadows! :D ) More power in your phone these days. :D

I have also found that cutting curves is hard because it beads up, and the knife always seems to cut at an angle.
Three recommendations:
1) use as sharp of a blade as possible
2) on straight sections use a wide blade to keep it straight (like a sharp utility knife blade) like this
View attachment 115237
3) on curves use a skinny blade like an exacto knife or a small break off blade razor like this
View attachment 115236
Yes. I'm working with two blade types, but getting the cuts square is still tricky.
Practice. Practice. Practice.
(But i don't want to go to Carnegie Hall! :D )