Virgin Galactic VSS Unity SpaceShipTwo

leaded50

Legendary member
working with the "detailing"/paint....

DSC_1006.JPG

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: well...yes!
Was and checked pricetag on decals (the Virgin logo) today... far too expencive :cautious: but have another place with friends who gives me good deals.... they are on holiday though.. If not, i will pick up the airbrush and make it my self.
have you considered just printing a standard paper printed version? using glue to wet it and set it up like a normal decal? not a seamless, but it sure does work for me sometimes. (esp, on intricate items)

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
how you considered just painting a standard paper printed version? using glue to wet it and set it up like a normal decal? not a seamless, but it sure does work for me sometimes. (esp, on intricate items)
well, its the same company who have holiday who use to make my paperprints too :LOL:... and.. its sidepanesl is curbed, both ways.... Thats always a trouble with paper, with high risk it get ruined in the try...
All, will depend what price they can give.... anyway its a great "work of time" to airbrush it too... ;)..

leaded50

Legendary member
Airbrushing pluss a little extra :D did it, without very much work!
Used a mask to make approx a round blue ring.. then airbrushed the black center. After airbrushed out white "stripes/beam" and more against the black... then used a paper towel to drag out the white airbrushed "stripe/beam" paint close to started drying.
Maked the letters with a lettering brush, and when coated with clear varnish... its ok !! :)

1007c.jpg
DSC_1007d.png

Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
Airbrushing pluss a little extra :D did it, without very much work!
Used a mask to make approx a round blue ring.. then airbrushed the black center. After airbrushed out white "stripes/beam" and more against the black... then used a paper towel to drag out the white airbrushed "stripe/beam" paint close to started drying.
Maked the letters with a lettering brush, and when coated with clear varnish... its ok !! :)

View attachment 204499 View attachment 204502
(y)

cyclone3350

Master member
Whoa, U sprayed the graphics directly on your bird? That's what I call confidence in your work. The few times I had tried that type of airbrushing, I did it on waterslide decal paper. It took several times to get it right, but once done. I then applied it on. If I had to do that spraying directly on, I would have made a mess of it for sure. Painted on graphics looks better than decals every time. Nice work. What R U using to spray? I have this Paasche VL (@ least 12 Yrs old) that is pretty much worn out and needs replacing. I am thinking of the Paasche Talon TG-3F, any thoughts?

leaded50

Legendary member
Direct on! I dont go around things.... :LOL::ROFLMAO: ( i knowed could sand down and paint again.. ha,ha)
have 2 Bagders dingle/dual - action, one at least 30y. old. It was among "top of line" that time, and hold up even today. Some parts upgraded and replaced over the time of course. (my compressor is a reworked dental chair air compressor from the 70´s... SUPERB still )
This time on the tailbooms tried something new... a "portable chargable airbrush"... i bit too big in weight to hold, the airbrusher it self, are cheap/mid style (even if dual action) but surprisingly, better than i thought, even if not great for flawless thin lines. For a beginner, a cheap satisfactionary item. A make-up shop tipped me about it... and i needed try :ROFLMAO: (its theirs..)

The Paasche Talon is among their top-line... its great, but if youre not using for pro work, its more or less over the top and want give you better painting than a cheaper one. (even if aint so expencive) As in many other things... its not the tool who makes it.... but the guy using it. :sneaky:

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
@cyclone3350 , on of reason for "confedence" is IF your seen both sides at one time, as on the picture, you will see some small minor differences. On the plane, you cant see both on one time :). The minor differences dont matter!! And by "handmade" it will alawys be some!
And anyway, the day i begin to be afraid its not good enough work, i quit everything. Thats the thing who most blocks peoples creativity... are afraid it dont get good enough, or correct.
When starts to overwork things because believe its not good enough..... its close to the end :censored:

cyclone3350

Master member
Thanks @leaded50 . That last line in your reply is so true as well as the one about the tool and who is using it. Considering how well the VL worked for me, I am going to pull the trigger and order the Talon from Midwest Airbrush Supply today.

leaded50

Legendary member
Thanks @leaded50 . That last line in your reply is so true as well as the one about the tool and who is using it. Considering how well the VL worked for me, I am going to pull the trigger and order the Talon from Midwest Airbrush Supply today.
when i bought my first "pro airbrush" after used a cheap one a while... the easiest to get was Badgers here locally. And a local paint supplyer gave me a "good" price (very expencive anyway) 2 weeks delivery direct from Badger. I was 19 y. old. (needed do a airbrush job for them though) I took long time, before really learned using its potential.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
My friend used to do porcelain restorations and used badger air brushes for years until they closed the business. I have talked about getting into air brushing for air planes and now guitar building and he has offered to let me use them once I get a small compressor set up here. They obviously used a larger compressor and a tank the size of a 70's era hot water hear.

I just cant decide what I need most first.. a palm sander for the wood work or the air brush. Probably roll with the palm sander as it looks like the new CBO "guide lines" are in the works and the FAA is by passing legislation and dumping what they want to have in effect onto the CBO's so basically if they don't roll with the "suggestions" they don't get to be a CBO. So the official phase out of the remote control aircraft is in full on push now and they are not even trying to hide that fact.

leaded50

Legendary member
larger compressor/tank was more depending on what work you use to do normally, and what you could get of equipment to a reasonable price. Also todays paint equipment is setup for lower airpressure than earlier, even if not much differences by airbrush though, but even touch-up airguns uses lower pressure than used normally before. . My self used also a 15 litre tank, 0.25hp electric compressor before got the dentist chair compressor. That compressor is tiny (but pretty heavy anyway, a lot more queit... and superb quality. And new that costed a lot more than anyone for painting.... far better quality. Ive changed one bearing only at it. in all this years, and was used when i got it.

What should get first...... you know, its a lot of techniques to use in painting who make stunning results.. even without a airbrush..:sneaky:

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
larger compressor/tank was more depending on what work you use to do normally, and what you could get of equipment to a reasonable price. Also todays paint equipment is setup for lower airpressure than earlier, even if not much differences by airbrush though, but even touch-up airguns uses lower pressure than used normally before. . My self used also a 15 litre tank, 0.25hp electric compressor before got the dentist chair compressor. That compressor is tiny (but pretty heavy anyway, a lot more queit... and superb quality. And new that costed a lot more than anyone for painting.... far better quality. Ive changed one bearing only at it. in all this years, and was used when i got it.

What should get first...... you know, its a lot of techniques to use in painting who make stunning results.. even without a airbrush..:sneaky:

If this is in reference to my previous comment the reason for the big tank and compressor is they ran air grinders and sanders as well as air brushing work in the shop. There was a main line running around the room with taps that had remote located regulators and water / oil filters for each of 5 stations. I was out shopping yesterday and looked at a small electric compressor mounted to a 5 gallon tank that is more in the normal realm for a home system for a hobbyist painter. Just not sure I want to bother with RC stuff anymore after seeing the new attempt by the FAA to kill the hobby. Just trying to keep up with what they are trying to do is too bothersome at this point.

as for had painting stuff... this isnt paint but it is all hand stained, hand sanded, hand polished from my latest project.

IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
If this is in reference to my previous comment the reason for the big tank and compressor is they ran air grinders and sanders as well as air brushing work in the shop. There was a main line running around the room with taps that had remote located regulators and water / oil filters for each of 5 stations. I was out shopping yesterday and looked at a small electric compressor mounted to a 5 gallon tank that is more in the normal realm for a home system for a hobbyist painter. Just not sure I want to bother with RC stuff anymore after seeing the new attempt by the FAA to kill the hobby. Just trying to keep up with what they are trying to do is too bothersome at this point.

as for had painting stuff... this isnt paint but it is all hand stained, hand sanded, hand polished from my latest project.

View attachment 204557

View attachment 204558
N I C E gutiar!! and it shows... its not only airbrush eg who can do the trick on beautiful colors :)

Here in Norway, (as rest of EC countrys) new lawa did came this year on our flying hobby. By far they are pretty close to what the national flight oragnization already had.. and now, if are member, easyer. Then dont need all extra tests/dokumentation/insurance.