VTOL Tail Sitter

Spitfire76

I am really interested in building a VTOL using a 2 motor, 2 servo tail sitter. I was really hoping that the plans for a the airframe that was designed by Josh and built with NXP would be available for a scratch build but it looks like as this is a STEM project the plans have not been published.
Has any one reversed engineered this design from the video, if not I may attempt it myself. I plan on using the Pixhawk flight controller and Arduplane software as I already have the hardware from older multi-copter builds and became familiar with the Ardpilot software. They also have details on how to setup a VTOL tail sitter.
https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/guide-tailsitter.html

Piotrsko

Master member
I know that the Sponz bloody series can V take off with a huge torque roll, and suspect they could also land ditto using some sort of flight control or perhaps 2 counter rotation motors. The trick is using large surfaces in prop blast for slow speed control and more thrust than weight.

L Edge

Master member
The major problem dealing with the tail sitter is landing in a wind, especially gusty wind at a designated spot.

Go look at the videos dealing with the X-Vert. Same problems, can take off vert, make the transition to forward flight and back, but not so good in landing when the wind is blowing even less than 5 mph( Ihave one). Flies beautiful with no wind. Better to put the airfoil shape horizontal.

Piotrsko

Master member
The major problem dealing with the tail sitter is landing in a wind, especially gusty wind at a designated spot.

Go look at the videos dealing with the X-Vert. Same problems, can take off vert, make the transition to forward flight and back, but not so good in landing when the wind is blowing even less than 5 mph( Ihave one). Flies beautiful with no wind. Better to put the airfoil shape horizontal.
Which way do you land in the wind? Wing perpendicular or parallel? I would think one way is better than the other.

L Edge

Master member
Which way do you land in the wind? Wing perpendicular or parallel? I would think one way is better than the other.

I always launch and land parallel with wind. The main problem is that pilots are blown downwind and can't get back up to where they are. So it drifts away.

Being a wind and kite surfer, you can beat the problem and fly around vertically by going upwind up to an angle of 30 degrees, quickly rotate and go 30 upwind in the other direction. From 30 to 45 degrees upwind, you can handle winds under 5 mph. It really get out of control about 8-10 mph. If it starts to go behind me, I always land and start all over. Timing is important to use kill throttle so no damage

Kai-003

I am planning to make a vtol with 70mm edfs. It would be something close to the ft versa wing, but I slap 2 70mm edfs to the front and just punch the throttle, and hope it lifts of smoothly, and just push the nose down until its in forward flight. for landing, I would bring it into high alpha and probably end up just trying to drop it on its tail.