Water Resistant Flite Test Foam

abieex

Mentor
I think, for now at least, I'm going to stick with the MinWax treatment. I would like to keep dollar foam a dollar!

BobK

Banned
I think, for now at least, I'm going to stick with the MinWax treatment. I would like to keep dollar foam a dollar!

I won't be purchasing it either at least until it is a different color, I'm not spending money on something that needs paint right away to look decent and I have my own waterproofing techniques.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
That's only $2.60 a sheet.

Yeah, it's still not that expensive. Wiped out my RC budget though. :cool:

The water resistant stuff is worth it to me. I'f I'm just flying around a plane for fun I don't care if it's brown or white, and ease of painting will be nice. If I can quickly throw some spray paint on the brown foamboard without it de-laminating I'll be very happy.

I really liked the Ross foamboard (water resistant, easy to paint, cleaner cuts), but so many of my designs require removing paper, so that kind of made Ross useless for me.

HilldaFlyer

Here is a graph with the costs of reskinning the Readi-Board
UgU4gEnU-gZzYacUcLnT0zjYxwUHDImAVmmQaiCrIcD511SC2PugFZmMismvRFooDlAxvd4X70rZ0sTZAJsbzOPtXo0I_ZZSStTXlFwiRSlJI0u2qoGWgA5Yl2cyI4njKvIEo10

$2.60 fits right in the with the good stuff.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
I hope they can get it into the hobby stores as having to get 50 sheets at a time is just to much then add the shipping charges .... I usually only buy 3 to 5 sheets at a time.
color doesn't bother me as a shot of paint takes care of every thing.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Personally I am rather excited about this new foam.

With current waterproofing techniques, I am only protecting the outside of the plane. Here in FL with the high humidity, even with spraying it down with waterproofing spray, and sealing the edges with hot glue, the planes will fall apart from the inside.

I'm looking forward to having an FT plane that will survive more than a month or two, even if kept inside the entire time.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
For those who don't want to buy a whole case, perhaps a topic could be started where people who live near enough to each other could get together and order a case and then split it up? I've been part of groups that special ordered boat parts and model trains cars and then one person split out the order. I'll probably order a case at some point, so I am not offering at this time. However, if I do, I would likely sell some at cost to anyone local.

Mike

I hope they will be coming to some of the big shows and will bring a bunch to sale. If not I may wait till FliteFest and see if I can pick some up there.
Jimmy

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
For those who don't want to buy a whole case, perhaps a topic could be started where people who live near enough to each other could get together and order a case and then split it up? I've been part of groups that special ordered boat parts and model trains cars and then one person split out the order. I'll probably order a case at some point, so I am not offering at this time. However, if I do, I would likely sell some at cost to anyone local.

Mike

Would be a great use for the FT Groups site

westbows

price is wrong.

The price is $80.00 a box plus shipping. Closer to $2.00 a sheet not Bad for Water resistant.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The price is $80.00 a box plus shipping. Closer to $2.00 a sheet not Bad for Water resistant.

Sorry that was a typo, fixed it. The price per sheet was correct and I knew it was 80 a box, not sure why I typed 50. Wishful thinking. LOL

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
So I had a small piece soaking in a cup of water over night. took it out this morning and the paper was still completely attached to the foam. No visible separation anywhere.

psuaero

Mike

Funny you should say that Mike. I'm interested in a few sheets (just for initial plane/test) and live in Maryland. I live in Ellicott City (work in Greenbelt)... where are you?

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Funny you should say that Mike. I'm interested in a few sheets (just for initial plane/test) and live in Maryland. I live in Ellicott City (work in Greenbelt)... where are you?

Elkton area, which is right up close to the Delaware border. I work in Delaware.

Mike