Water Resistant Flite Test Foam

abieex

Mentor
I respect your opinion as well Sponz. I may give it a try if it becomes available in smaller quantities locally. So far it takes me about 20 minutes to Minwax a plane and Ive had extremely good luck with it. My Storch is almost two now and still looks good except for a small tree divot! Im currently experimenting with Aero Depron and EPP which are both more expensive than Foamboard but seem to be very durable. Ive covered my EPP Fpv plane with laminating film and I can't kill the thing! Im watching this thread closely but now its time to fly. 60 here northern Ohio and my FT Racer is calling!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
This isn't the most scientific approach, but then again I'm no rocket surgeon.

This was my first quick test...
Small piece of WR foam in a glass of water held down with a spoon and left overnight. About 7-8 hours.

IMG_20160323_243955992.jpg

Out of the water, still wet...paper in tact.

IMG_20160323_065006472.jpg

Side view clearly illustrates no delamination.
IMG_20160323_065009510.jpg

Didn't take any picture of the piece after I left it air dry, but there was visibly no difference between it and a piece not soaked in water.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
On to experiment #2.

IMG_20160326_140727462.jpg

IMG_20160326_140810910.jpg

Will probably let this soak for a couple days.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Well, that's what I get for opening my mouth without knowing the facts. Holy crap i can become a politician!

Jamboree 2016: Couldn't possibly be worse that the other candidates

I think you've got a shot ;)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Since you held down that piece of foam with that spoon, does that mean it didn't absorb water and begin to sink?

From the "theory: because I haven't gotten any to play with yet either" method of analysis . . .

The beauty of this paper is it's already soaked -- with plastic. Just like an instant oatmeal packet won't absorb water, neither will this. It defeats the main weakness of the Adams ready board -- the paper can shrink-swell as it absorbs water because the fibers are open. These fibers aren't. they're dimensionally stable in regards to water, so the Inject-the-foam-between-two-pieces-of-paper method give you an outer surface that's not going to humidity-warp or shrink-swell itself away from the foam, but still you can still peal it with a reasonable amount of effort.

As for cost . . . if it costs more to make a superior product, shouldn't we pay more? Sure, "superior" is not yet established, but the signs are looking good so far. If it is better, and it costs FT more to have this stuff made instead (it does cost them more, BTW) then why shouldn't we expect the price to rise?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Didn't take any picture of the piece after I left it air dry, but there was visibly no difference between it and a piece not soaked in water.

Sweet, that's a really good sign. If it'l do that before paint, I think sea planes will be a breeze.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Since you held down that piece of foam with that spoon, does that mean it didn't absorb water and begin to sink?

Correct, it's foam...it floats. Not sure is there is any water absorption and not sure how I would check for that or it it matter. I can check the thickness after the soak test to see if it grew at all.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
As for cost . . . if it costs more to make a superior product, shouldn't we pay more? Sure, "superior" is not yet established, but the signs are looking good so far. If it is better, and it costs FT more to have this stuff made instead (it does cost them more, BTW) then why shouldn't we expect the price to rise?

I'm cool with this price of the WR foam. I think the shipping cost is a bit high though. It would be nice if it was available locally.

Last edited:

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Does anyone have a moisture meter? They are used by people who cut their own wood for working. If you have a friend who cuts and dries their own wood, they likely have one. A meter like this can measure water absorption. Might give some interesting data.

Mike

psuaero

You could just weigh your sample before and after. Any additional weight is water either in the foam or the paper. You'll need a pretty precise scale for such a small sample. Something reading out less than a gram should do it.

HilldaFlyer

The Scale of all Scales

Just a fun note: I've got a scale that should work. It goes to 10,000th of a gram (yes- 10ths of milligrams or 0.0001 g). Can't use it on wood floors or without a covering because a bounce in the floors or the movement of air causes the scale to oscillate.

HYHgiK2qw6UUHaQpxkxujqoUWVX7_zm2sGeQ5HY8NH8WEC_R-_N0_Wwta8sSY0foy3iPYCIu4g4UOuhgxZ-Fgrol5JVG4HDlLa17KDtaHvv49KocwjSleOgFa0BntldK-rxCzEkl

Just for fun, here is the scale.
CNYODyABqWvwDZqGAx7Nag7vYWzZVrftKywh7B38U_qYrRPU1DlOwTegWfqPzPBvs-xESV2V1BTIaA73kRFSOgX_5O9MPptPWKXvbtxbH1xEckEZ3xM9AIcIQsJEHHvO5ipzDH-8

Here is a piece of foam about 3 mm cubed.
k3nef9zkePpajV7DQDOZJKHLwsMehWhgsbJ50cLtqHGmeYCNymyeIHFF5xA3zOXV4loPevumS7PVa86NQtlGMvShxpf-nGlQ7Yf_5MeiXNGGuk2ASqo0j-atJy8FX7sNHixNQoBB

It weighs 3.2 mg or .0032 g.

WHITkEmFQaznQnby8UqC3M_UytgLhv4XB4cUVPV9iYuvFJnEl1nZZZWXD0dZSSX4d-K7W9MvIuc86bdcxYoqJAGI0EmiJda6TFWo_YO8jIVpAYUv-tMSrO-3f4jbXHGyc5d5F7ZC

If I blow at the scale, with the cover in place at arm's length with about the same force I would use to blow out a birthday cake candle, the scale indicates the movement of air weighs 47 mg. Hardly useful for everyday life.. but fun nonetheless.

jamboree1

Hilda, I use a scale like that for measuring water absorption for concrete slab moisture content, expensive scale and has to be re-certified every ummm 5 years I think for my job

HilldaFlyer

Slightly off forum topic - but I love chemistry of concrete... it is fascinating! I didn't know concrete was so complex.

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
Same here jamboree1, im a lab tech for hb fuller construction prod. div. Grouts mortars concrete additives. We do all that. Same scales. Im always taking my builds to work to weigh them. The guys there love them especially when i fly during lunch. Off topic also sorry..:)

jamboree1

Ok Sponz, I have an idea for a water test, salt water, like the type used in aquariums, oh and a 100 hour saltwater spray test :black_eyed:

Last edited:

Liam B

Wish this stuff was a little cheaper! Too bad it's not in Dollar Tree or Dollar General. I wonder if you could build some floats out of this stuff!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Wish this stuff was a little cheaper! Too bad it's not in Dollar Tree or Dollar General. I wonder if you could build some floats out of this stuff!

That's one of the first things I'm going to do with it when mine gets here next Thursday. I have plans drawn up that cover the correct size floats for the majority of the Flite Test sized planes.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24068-Easy-to-Build-Swappable-DTF-Floats-amp-Ski-s

They're quick and easy to build. I'm hoping that the Water resistant foam will work without any additional prep.