Ways To Balance Your Props

NickRehm

Something to add. I have noticed that many of the less expensive outrunners and edf's that come included are not well balanced. My latest is the stock motor that comes with the Hobby King Rad Jet 800mm. I finally got a good cg on it today and flew it several times... well, at least until it vibrated all of the screws out of the motor..... Fortunately no damage but I will be working on balancing that motor tonight!
Jay
Yes, I agree. I like the video but maybe a future video is in order for disassembling an edf unit and and balancing it. It's not something commonly known so maybe you guys could help us out :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
What day was this filmed? Cuz I KNOW that you always film on Sundays because that's when everyone is not busy and has time to drive over... from what I see in the video, the crew guys have quite a drive to get there, so it's kinda hard to get everyone there on a non-sunday... But anyways, since David is staying at Chad's, they'd just call up Michael or Joab and get a Quick tip done. Am I right? If so, then it's good to have David there!

Good job using all your opportunities!

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
What day was this filmed? Cuz I KNOW that you always film on Sundays because that's when everyone is not busy and has time to drive over... from what I see in the video, the crew guys have quite a drive to get there, so it's kinda hard to get everyone there on a non-sunday... But anyways, since David is staying at Chad's, they'd just call up Michael or Joab and get a Quick tip done. Am I right? If so, then it's good to have David there!

Good job using all your opportunities!

You are right, as usual.
Joab came over to shoot the Fast Tip yesterday. We shot three fast tips and uploaded one so far. They aren't sponsored yet, we're just trying it out. It was Joab's first shot at the main camera... I'm very proud of him!
We just wanted to create something to help share useful info that may not warrant a full episode.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
You are right, as usual.
Joab came over to shoot the Fast Tip yesterday. We shot three fast tips and uploaded one so far. They aren't sponsored yet, we're just trying it out. It was Joab's first shot at the main camera... I'm very proud of him!
We just wanted to create something to help share useful info that may not warrant a full episode.

Yeah, that turned out really well! I don't think you need to get sponsored on the Fast tips, unless it's directly brand-related... It's also very useful, it serves it's purpose, and is fast and easy to do!

I think these Fast Tips are a very easy way to spread the word about flitetest, like,

Hey, how do you balance your props?

See here! It's a video that shows you a lot of ways! Video link
If you have any other question, you can ask it on the forum, www.flitetest.com/forum and you'll get a reply by the next day!

and there goes, a new flitetest fan is born :)

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I think it was mentioned earlier but it's a nice way to fill in the space b/wn weekly episodes. It would be great to see HK and HH each sponsor a quick tip so we could see two a week. That quick tip could easily have been showcasing that magnetic prop balancer.

Hanger64

Just Hangin
I have been playing around with balancing my props by measuring the vibration of the plane. Anyone else out there doing that? I downloaded a vibration meter on my Android Phone (uses the phone sensors to measure vibration) and then secure the phone to the plane. I get my initial reading then add tape to the prop until I get the best result. Am I onto something or just barking up the wrong tree.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I have been playing around with balancing my props by measuring the vibration of the plane. Anyone else out there doing that? I downloaded a vibration meter on my Android Phone (uses the phone sensors to measure vibration) and then secure the phone to the plane. I get my initial reading then add tape to the prop until I get the best result. Am I onto something or just barking up the wrong tree.

Well, that depends completely on the accuracy of the phones sensors. But I think it's reasonable to use that as a tool. I'll see if I can find something like that for an iPod.

UndCon

UndCon
I prefer the fingetip prop balancer...I have a magnetic one like in the video but I like the compactness of the fingertip balancer.

View attachment 1359

Here is a twist to the propeller balancer

DSC005381-300x225.png

http://www.undcon.com/2010/06/07/magnetic-propeller-balancer/
Since the pictures was taken I upgraded with smaller neodym magnets from HK. very easy to handle.

I also use a seismograph app in my Android to measure vibrations on the Multirotors - works great, I found 1 that has adjustable sensitivity. I can also measure in 1 direction only. Super handy

//UndCon

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I picked up a finger balancer with my last order and used it for the first time today. I am curious if anyone has had experience balancing 3 and 4 bladed setups and what differences/challenges were there.

Also, I was wondering about success people might have had balancing when there is a spinner in the equation as well.

Anyone?

RoyBro

Mentor
I ran into a bunch of Gemfan 9x4.2 props from HK that seem to be very heavy on one side of the hub rather than the blade. When I put it on the balancer, the prop turns until it is completely horizontal. If I turn the prop 180 degrees, it turns back. I've tried using a dremmel to take off material from the hub, and it is still heavy. If I take off any more, I fear the wall will become too thin. This makes me believe that the prop is heavy across the entire length of the prop rather than just the hub.

Any suggestions?

aiidanwings

I ran into a bunch of Gemfan 9x4.2 props from HK that seem to be very heavy on one side of the hub rather than the blade. When I put it on the balancer, the prop turns until it is completely horizontal. If I turn the prop 180 degrees, it turns back. I've tried using a dremmel to take off material from the hub, and it is still heavy. If I take off any more, I fear the wall will become too thin. This makes me believe that the prop is heavy across the entire length of the prop rather than just the hub.

Any suggestions?

Add weight to the other side of the hub.

Just a thought, some props are purposefully manufactured with the hub center offset. I don't know why... maybe a "We meant to do that" marketing gimmick?

Last edited: