We keep failing ... have not yet gotten a plane in air.

JLP

Do all the DIY planes need gyroscopes to fly?
We have struggled for a year with 4 different planes... but never tried a gyroscope.
Is that the problem or are we STILL doing something wrong?

Sad 9 year old and team....:(

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
We have struggled for a year with 4 different planes... but never tried a gyroscope.

You don't need a gyroscope to make them fly well. If you give the details of your attempts, we will be able to tell you what you need to do. Pictures and videos are great!

Welcome to the forums!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang

Yep! Give us a bit more information. How is it crashing? Is it just not lifting into the air? What plane is it?

tomlogan1

Elite member
Don't know the level of experience or what you are trying to fly, but here's a very easy to fly plane that is ready to fly. I would suggest forgoing the landing gear and hand launch the plane. Land as slow as you can in the grass. When you get comfortable you can progress to taking off from a runway. Once you get your confidence up, you can get into scratch building or kits from Flite Test or other suppliers.

https://usa.banggood.com/WLtoys-F94...utm_content=frank&utm_campaign=pla-usg-all-pc

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
not a one of my craft have flight computers (IE gyros) on them... only one that is going to is one that needs active balancing in hover mode.

I started with the FT Tiny Trainer and crash and smashed it enough times (then my son did the same as he was learning) that I have built 4 of them and the first two had multiple repairs before the were beyond reasonable repair.

it just takes some time to learn to fly well, to build the needed skills... starting with a known good flying craft is a good idea vs just coming up with your own design.

JLP

Thanks everyone! This has been a whole family effort for months and months now...and innumerable propellers.
We have tried the DIY Tiny Trainer 2x and now we are trying the Mini DIY Corsair.
The Tiny Trainers we built twice-- we got it to fly maybe 25 yards and caught wind and broke the tail.
The 2nd Tiny Trainer got into the air twice and then landed nose first and was irreparable.

The Corsair is featured below-- but it is looking pretty grim because of multiple recent crashes (the tail is re-inforced).
Our son is doing the flying but has done AMAZING with a pre-built RC Hobby mustang (on amazon) and he can fly that on expert mode.

Today, we are trying to sort an engine issue that you will hear on the video. One thing to note is that the propeller had a lot of play on the nut provided- see photos-- it just doesn't seem to make sense that the propeller would have that much space -- so we put on a different bolt. Otherwise, ?????

Shoot- I have videos-- but it won't allow me to upload... what format is allowed?
The engine is faltering...

Attachments

• tempImagegTVqRD.png
    tempImagegTVqRD.png
    11.5 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImagerHmJVg.png
    tempImagerHmJVg.png
    11.5 MB · Views: 0

Flyingshark

Master member
Thanks everyone! This has been a whole family effort for months and months now...and innumerable propellers.
We have tried the DIY Tiny Trainer 2x and now we are trying the Mini DIY Corsair.
The Tiny Trainers we built twice-- we got it to fly maybe 25 yards and caught wind and broke the tail.
The 2nd Tiny Trainer got into the air twice and then landed nose first and was irreparable.

The Corsair is featured below-- but it is looking pretty grim because of multiple recent crashes (the tail is re-inforced).
Our son is doing the flying but has done AMAZING with a pre-built RC Hobby mustang (on amazon) and he can fly that on expert mode.

Today, we are trying to sort an engine issue that you will hear on the video. One thing to note is that the propeller had a lot of play on the nut provided- see photos-- it just doesn't seem to make sense that the propeller would have that much space -- so we put on a different bolt. Otherwise, ?????

Shoot- I have videos-- but it won't allow me to upload... what format is allowed?
The engine is faltering...
You just need to tighten the nut down more. It should be clamping the prop onto the rest of the motor. You'll need a prop wrench, or several minutes of attacking it with pliers.
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-8mm-prop-wrench-flt-2102/p975859

Flyingshark

Master member
For uploading videos, you can put them on youtube and link them here. If you're worried about privacy, mark them as 'unlisted' instead of 'public.'

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
You just need to tighten the nut down more. It should be clamping the prop onto the rest of the motor. You'll need a prop wrench, or several minutes of attacking it with pliers.
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-8mm-prop-wrench-flt-2102/p975859

A good set of socket wrenches does the job. The ones on the motors are hex nuts, so they'll work.

You should be able to hold the motor, and when you twist the prop, it should barely move. You need it to be real tight like Flyingshark said.

I had an issue on my Simple Cub where the plane kept getting caught in deep grass and nosing over. The prop struck a bunch of times, and it came loose.

Intashu

Elite member
Have you correctly checked the CG marks on the wings and ensured the plane is *slightly* nose heavy. Tail heavy planes crash, and TOO much weight forward makes it fly poorly too. most prop planes I launch at ~75% throttle, full is too much and causes the plane to pull left and flip over before crashing. too little throttle and it goes forward but down into the ground.

whackflyer

Master member
Start with a simple checklist.
1 - confirm the writing on the prop faces the direction of flight
2 - CG is set at the recommended point of balance
3- all control surfaces move in the correct directions and move freely with little to no resistance, and are centered
4- rates and expo are set according to FT recommendations
5- make sure your receiver antennas are placed correctly to best receive the signal from the TX
6- confirm the motor is turning the correct direction
7- confirm the battery is fully charged
8- do a range check to make sure your receiver is getting good signal
9- make sure all your angles are correct and the plane is square and straight

That's all I can think of right now. Have someone else give it a nice firm toss at about a 20 degree up angle for launch, using about 75% throttle. Post video of your attempt!

whackflyer

Master member
ok, try this!

thank you
It looks like you have two problems at hand.
Number one is that your thrust angle needs to be checked. It appears in the video that the motor is angled up. The thrust line needs to be on the same angle as the wing and tail surfaces. The other issue seems to be that you're just not throwing it hard enough! Give it a good chuck. That toss may work for a Tiny Trainer, but the Corsair needs more airspeed to fly. What's happening is you just aren't getting enough airspeed which is causing your wing to stall and making your airplane drop from the sky. Also it would help if you would show us a video of your control surfaces in motion as well as the movements of the sticks just so we can confirm they move in the right direction! I don't mean to treat you like a total noob but we've gotta knock down every possible cause of failure so you can get in the air!

tesseract

Master member
That would be the connections between ESC, Reciever and battery. If it happens with the servos too then its the reciever.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I agree with the motor angle. That is way off where it should be. The motor noises may be the prop slipping or it may be when you get to a certain power level there is arching between bullet connectors knocking out a phase until power drops and the arching cannot occur.

Also one other thing to check specially using wooden firewalls is that the screws are not pulling thru the wood and extending far enough in the motor base to touch any of the motor windings.

Now for my own failure to launch a fixed wing journey I found that what I "thought" was just a touch nose heavy was in fact really a LOT nose heavy. Glide testing (tossing but not flying under power) to see what the plane does is best way to find true CG. I since have started there and balance perfectly level to start forget that nose heavy stuff for now. If it glides well with all things in the plane with no power then it should fly. Proper down thrust in the motor mount is also key. Finally the last hurdle I have to face is to not be wimpy on throttle when hand launching. All these set backs can be seen in this funny video of me being a hardhead...

Go back to the tiny trainer and not be like me trying to fly things above current knowledge and skill levels hehe

whackflyer

Master member
Ok, we are fully noobs! The control surfaces are seen here..
Do you want your elevator on the left stick like you have it? Conventional mode 2 has it on the right stick on the up/down axis. Where you have it now is where most of us control the rudder. It's much simpler in mode 2

whackflyer

Master member
I agree with the motor angle. That is way off where it should be. The motor noises may be the prop slipping or it may be when you get to a certain power level there is arching between bullet connectors knocking out a phase until power drops and the arching cannot occur.

Also one other thing to check specially using wooden firewalls is that the screws are not pulling thru the wood and extending far enough in the motor base to touch any of the motor windings.

Now for my own failure to launch a fixed wing journey I found that what I "thought" was just a touch nose heavy was in fact really a LOT nose heavy. Glide testing (tossing but not flying under power) to see what the plane does is best way to find true CG. I since have started there and balance perfectly level to start forget that nose heavy stuff for now. If it glides well with all things in the plane with no power then it should fly. Proper down thrust in the motor mount is also key. Finally the last hurdle I have to face is to not be wimpy on throttle when hand launching. All these set backs can be seen in this funny video of me being a hardhead...

Go back to the tiny trainer and not be like me trying to fly things above current knowledge and skill levels hehe

Good points @PsyBorg.

Flite Risk

Do you have a simulator?
this topic may be addressed below, I just have not gotten down there yet, stream of consciousness i guess.

I recommend PicaSim
http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/PicaSim/