We need bigger motors!!

kdobson83

This is less of a show suggestion and more of a store suggestion. We need bigger motors. I have been shopping around for a more powerful motor than your c-pack motor and can't seem to find something in the 300-400 watt range that I like. While your c-pack motors are nice as i have 2 of them, and 1100 grams of thrust on a 1045 prop is good and all, but when your trying to fly a blunt nose versa fully painted, with 2x2200 and fpv gear, the emax seems a little underpowered. Something with the power to sling a 12" prop, 300-400 watt range, should be a good step up from your c-pack motor. Looking through the store there is probably 30+ different quad style motors but when looking to outfit the larger builds like my blunt nose or maybe someone trying to break a speed record with their racer, the only option on the store is the emax 2215. Now, I do shop at other places and could probably find what I need there, but I like to buy what I can from FliteTest, to help support the community that got me into this wonderful hobby. I'm not looking for a new power pack or anything, but a couple more options of larger plane motors and esc's would be nice. A good, reliable motor one step above the 2215 would be good.

Anyone else agree? If so, what are your suggestions for FliteTest to add to their store? Or to me? Lol

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I agree as well. If you want a trusted store for more selection while waiting i have to suggest alofthobbies.com.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Yup. My scratch built FT Spear made from Office Max foamboard flies with 2x 2200 3 cell batteries for balance. Currently with a 9X6 APC prop. It flies pretty good and glides surprisingly well, but clearly lacks strong vertical performance. One thing you can try is to up it to 4 cell. There are reports (you can find them here on the forum) that the motor handles it well. You are however likely to shorten the motor's life. As usual, YMMV.

kdobson83

Alofthobbies selection was very thin. They really didnt have anything to chose from in the size range I'm looking for.
And I would try 4s, but I think it'll be had to stuff 4s in the blunt nose. My 3s 2200s are a tight squeeze. That and I don't have any 4s batterys.

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
The Flight Test store tends to be geared towards entry level stuff. It sells fast moving items and people tend to get hooked on the hobby and purchase a lot of what they carry. But, when you get into intermediate to advanced parts the FT store is (unfortunately) not the place to find what your looking for. Hobby King, Tower, others mentioned here and Amazon are the places to find high performance stuff. In order to stay profitable and also do to space and wholesale requirements, the FT store probably needs to only carry fast moving items that will turn quickly to make money. I can imagine they have studied this closely how to make the most money with the least investment, and when you get into advanced and intermediate parts and stuff like balsa there are way less people that make it that far into the hobby so that would mean less turns of parts sales in these areas.

I don't think FT is going to change much there unless they can get contracts with Cobra, Scorpion, AXI, and other manufactures to sell their motors and parts and then it would need to be at a discount as you can just get this stuff on Amazon or direct with no shipping charges most of the time and FT charges full price on shipping with no breaks.

kdobson83

Yes NHK750, you are partially correct. I see catering to the newbie as being a good game plan. But only from the beggining. Now that they have built up a community of literally hundreds of thousands of people, one has to wonder how much money they lose by ONLY catering to the beginners. And your answer is a tad one sided as well. Look at all the multi rotor gear they have. Your telling me all those drone motors are for begginers? They have so many products on their store that are aimed at intermediate to advanced Hobbyists, but only one option for larger planes. With the huge selection of multi rotor motors they have on the store I'd have to imagine getting one motor and ESC above their beef package would be easy, and with their limited selection with their plane motors, I'd also imagine it would sell halfway decently.

And yes, headsuphobby.com has an awesome selection.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yes, I am one sided as I am into airplanes and not the multirotor craze. I'm old school and love the beauty of fixed wing aircraft. Anyone can fly a multirotor, but not everyone can fly an airplane. I'm also a certified pilot and the stats are: one in a million people on the planet can achieve that status (Bixler isn't even a certified pilot yet). So, I can see the FT store (unfortunately) catering to the multirotor craze as that is where the money is at.

Crazy Goats

So, I can see the FT store (unfortunately) catering to the multirotor craze as that is where the money is at.

This is why I don't watch FT anymore and rarely come on the forum. Everything is for the beginners and the multirotors now :( cuz as you said, that's where the money is. Also, I agree with your views on fixed wing. It's just so beautiful.

Anyone here tried grayson hobby? I bought one of their motors and just holding it in my hand and spinning the bell it seemed very nice quality. It's a 2212 and it is a ROCKET MOTOR. On my small FPV ship I never have to go over 1/4 throttle, and 1/2 is almost vertical. They have some bigger motors too. EDIT: forgot to add, they have really nice service and quick shipping in my experience.

Last edited:
Hobby King. They have several brands and I have never had a problem finding a motor at a good price. Just make sure they have what you want in the U.S. warehouse. Prop or edf. If you sign up you will get better prices on some of there products. I have bought equivalent motors to Grayson recommended and they have performed very well.

kdobson83

Yeah, I can see that atm there is more money in multi rotors than fixed wing ATM, you are correct there. But when you watch the FliteFest videos, what do you see more of? Fixed wing. Ok, enough of what sells better, and let's look at it this way, of all the power packs FliteTest sells, how many are plane specific? 1. All other power packs are basically multi rotor motors that they use on their planes. The one emax gt2215 motor they have is basically it. So, out of the 20-30 motors they sell, only one is specifically designed for planes? I get that you can use quad motors to fly the smaller planes, but FliteTest sells more than small planes. They offer quite a few options of bigger planes like the blunt nose versa or the kraken that they only really have one power option for.
I'm not asking for them to redo their online store or change how they do things. I only ask that they add another option for plane motors. Maybe something a tad bigger than the only plane specific option they have. And seeing that they are sold out of that one option half the time. I find it hard to believe adding another plane motor to the store, that it wouldn't sell.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I just checked aloft and yeah, what happened to there motor section? I actually swichted to them from headsup as they are local, looks like i will be heading back to headsup next time i order motors.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I can understand the desire for a larger motor. However, I thought I'd point out that the fact that it's a good thing FT is selling more "quad" motors. A majority of the motors designed specifically with planes in mind are pretty much all old technology.

The quad motors FT is using in their power packs are more efficient, more powerful, and lighter that the old school alternatives. Quad copters, and quad racing in particular has really pushed motor development. Just because they're quad motors doesn't mean they're not good for planes, in fact, they're actually better for planes than the "plane" motors.

kdobson83

Yes, I see that point as well. All this multi rotor stuff really is driving the hobby and pushing stuff forward. But find me a quad motor that pushes 1500-2k grams of thrust on 3s. HobbyKing offers a donkey motor, which is plane specific, that pushes 1800 grams of thrust on 3s on a 12x6 prop and only uses about 30amps doing it. It's is literally pared up with a 30amp ESC. So there are efficient options out there.
Back to my MAIN point, which was FT should add bigger motors to the store, and if so, what are your all's ideas for possible motors for them to add. Plane specific motors.
But yeah, looks like I'll have to go to headupshobby or HobbyKing to get my big motor fix for this flying season.

Crazy Goats

At FliteFest I saw a kid with a motor that looked like the beef motor except it was like as big around as a soda can. Maybe a little smaller. Anyway, that would be cool to see. I could make some epic huge thing with that.

jack10525

This is why I don't watch FT anymore and rarely come on the forum. Everything is for the beginners and the multirotors now :( cuz as you said, that's where the money is. Also, I agree with your views on fixed wing. It's just so beautiful.

Anyone here tried grayson hobby? I bought one of their motors and just holding it in my hand and spinning the bell it seemed very nice quality. It's a 2212 and it is a ROCKET MOTOR. On my small FPV ship I never have to go over 1/4 throttle, and 1/2 is almost vertical. They have some bigger motors too. EDIT: forgot to add, they have really nice service and quick shipping in my experience.

Didn't Flite Test start out with Grayson Hobby? I thought this is where they got their start. Anyway I have bought from FT and Hobby King. Hobby King has a great selection but I'm not liking their cost of shipping and service. If you have an issue they don't handle it well. FT has been great but as most have said are limited to beginner stuff. I have been to grayson hobby's site many times and am about to buy a plane and parts there. I've heard good reviews and the shop is veteran owned. I like that. I also want to support the smaller shops to help keep them going.

kdobson83

After looking just about everywhere, I ended up finding a 2820/07 800kv motor on eBay. This motor was exactly what I wanted. It does about 1800 grams on thrust on 3s with a 1260 prop at only 26 amps. So, just a hair more amps than Flitetest's beef motor, but like 33% more thrust. And to the comment about finding a company to provide the motors for them to sell, it's an emax motor. They already sell emax.

But yeah I got 1260 props from hobbytown.com. They have a really good selection and the cheapest shipping I could find. Hobbyking had a good selection, but not gona do $10 shipping when all I needed was one or two small things. And that's shipping from their US warehouse.
Oh, and motionrc.com had a lot of good stuff and would bought from them but they were out of stock on everything I wanted... Lol I've been seeing that a lot lately on these smaller sites.

Crazy Goats

Didn't Flite Test start out with Grayson Hobby? I thought this is where they got their start. Anyway I have bought from FT and Hobby King. Hobby King has a great selection but I'm not liking their cost of shipping and service. If you have an issue they don't handle it well. FT has been great but as most have said are limited to beginner stuff. I have been to grayson hobby's site many times and am about to buy a plane and parts there. I've heard good reviews and the shop is veteran owned. I like that. I also want to support the smaller shops to help keep them going.

Yes, I think that was the first online shop to carry their stuff.