We need bigger motors!!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Yup. My scratch built FT Spear made from Office Max foamboard flies with 2x 2200 3 cell batteries for balance. Currently with a 9X6 APC prop. It flies pretty good and glides surprisingly well, but clearly lacks strong vertical performance. One thing you can try is to up it to 4 cell. There are reports (you can find them here on the forum) that the motor handles it well. You are however likely to shorten the motor's life. As usual, YMMV.

I have 2 of these "racing" motors and 60 amp ESC's that I bought for the air races. I believe I'm going to load up the Spear with one of them and see what happens. :cool:

Bricks

Master member
Donkey motors are not long life motors I have 2 sitting here that I had a slight crash in tall grass and it bent the shafts. Most of them are built cheaply with bushings and not bearings. Weight to thrust ratio is very good on them thou.

I order a ton of stuff from ValueHobby.com there motors are very good, cheap and very good shipping. Only bad thing is they do not carry a ton of stuff.

kdobson83

Ok, now that It has merged their warehouse with Amain Hobbies, they have a decent selection now. But I'd still like to see FT desgnate one larger motor for heavier/bigger builds. I'd imagine this could be in the future seeing their videos as of late are showcasing bigger planes. And they are going to introduce a thicker foam to do bigger builds. Think I heard them say you could 185% any FT plan and use the thicker foam and it would work perfectly. If this is true I'd imagine a bigger power pack in the future.

Fingures crossed.