Western Wiscosin

Bricks

Master member
I have been out of the RC hobby since 1972 and my how things have changed any one in the EauClaire Lacrosse area Flying the FT planes.

Chefinthecockpit

Bricks I am going to piggy back on your thread as I am freshly back to the sport as well. I am in the process of two builds at the moment. I have a FT Simple Storch about done and the FT Racer (Rip Slinger) version. I am really excited about how they have come together. I am putting in the electronics today and will be ready for flight this weekend. I will post pics and maybe some video on how it goes. both of these planes are swappables so I really hope that the set-up I purchased will work well with these planes. This is what i ordered for my powerpod. If anyone has any feedback on this setup I would really apreciate it. Again I am very new to electric flight. Power Up 400 Zoom 2245kv Outrunner Brushless motor, 11.1v 800mah 30C DBY-Power Lipo Battery, HURC 40 Amp Brushless Motor ESC. Thanks guys!

Chefinthecockpit (Dan B.):confused:

earthsciteach

Wow - 1972? Things certainly have changed! Cool that you are back!

Chef - HeadsupRC is one of the absolute best online vendors. Good choice! One more important bit of info is, what prop are you planning on running? The 6x3e is the sweet spot for that motor and would probably work well for the Rip Slinger if go fast is the goal. The 800mah battery is very undersized, though. I'd go with a 2200 mah, 11.1v.

The 2245 kv with 6" prop is not a good option for the Storch, I'm sorry to say. I fly this motor in mine: http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepower-450-Sport-1100kv-Outrunner-Brushless-Electric-Motor-E-650.htm with an APC 9x4.5 prop. The FT 3D shares this motor nicely with the Storch, btw.

Bricks

Master member
I had picked up a Nano QX it has been just a little fun thing to putts around with, up here with the cold I can fly in the shop or the house. Well that led to my Super Cub S with AX3S technology which led to a DX6 that I picked up reasonable. My nephew mentioned FlteTest and the foamies looked like a great way to go reasonable to build, seems like they will be fun to fly, cheap and easy to repair.

So my Storch is on the way along with a flight pack from Altitude Hobby's, receiver will be a Lemon with stabilization ( God I love those things ). Leaning to program a radio has been an adventure, an even more adventure is all the dog gone different connectors for Lipo`s and charging heaven forbid something was standardized. That part is driving me crazy.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
an even more adventure is all the dog gone different connectors for Lipo`s and charging heaven forbid something was standardized. That part is driving me crazy.

Hobby King seems to be standardizing it with their own stuff. The Turnigy Accucel-8 charger I have uses Xt-60 connectors, just as all of the Turnigy and Zippy batteries do. Plus the charger has gator clips.

I also live in Wisconsin, but Southern Wisconsin. (Just outside of Madison.)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
We should have a WI Fly-in somewhere in 2015. Would be nice to meet up with some other WI Flite Test fans. Maybe fly some COMBAT!?! :)

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
We should have a WI Fly-in somewhere in 2015. Would be nice to meet up with some other WI Flite Test fans. Maybe fly some COMBAT!?! :)

I was thinking the same thing. Except the combat part. An FT Flyer is acceptable for combat... right?

Chefinthecockpit

Wow - 1972? Things certainly have changed! Cool that you are back!

Chef - HeadsupRC is one of the absolute best online vendors. Good choice! One more important bit of info is, what prop are you planning on running? The 6x3e is the sweet spot for that motor and would probably work well for the Rip Slinger if go fast is the goal. The 800mah battery is very undersized, though. I'd go with a 2200 mah, 11.1v.

The 2245 kv with 6" prop is not a good option for the Storch, I'm sorry to say. I fly this motor in mine: http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepower-450-Sport-1100kv-Outrunner-Brushless-Electric-Motor-E-650.htm with an APC 9x4.5 prop. The FT 3D shares this motor nicely with the Storch, btw.

Awesome. thank you so much for your help with that earthsciteach . Much appreciated!

Chefinthecockpit (Dan B.)

Bricks

Master member
Hobby King seems to be standardizing it with their own stuff. The Turnigy Accucel-8 charger I have uses Xt-60 connectors, just as all of the Turnigy and Zippy batteries do. Plus the charger has gator clips.

I also live in Wisconsin, but Southern Wisconsin. (Just outside of Madison.)

After doing some looking around decided on the Xt-60 connectors so from here on any thing not with XT-60 connectors gets cut off.

Interesting was on HobbyKing to order some batteries I purchased 3S 2200MAH 40C batteries for less then 3S 2200MAH 20C batteries same manufacture, model, The 40C`s were a little heavier but not by much same connectors, go figure why they were cheaper.

milkdud

Sponz, I'm all in for a WI FT meetup. I'm out of Oshkosh and just got into the hobby myself. It's been so cold I haven't been able to fly but I've put together a Storch, two Mustangs and now I'm finishing off two Mini Speedsters for my boys. I think I'm going to start a Guinea Pig real soon too.

robhsaunders

Hi, I'm in the Menomonie Area just west of Eau Claire. I'm flying a tricopter I built and 3D Printed from David Windestål's design. One of my co-workers is building his second FT Versa Wing. 023.JPG

Last edited:

bgfireguy92

Hey depending on where you guys do it Im willing to drive up. Im just south of Chicago but willing to drive to fly with some FT people. Sounds like we're going to have an Illinois on here this spring/summer that you guys are mare than welcome to come too.

DavidK

Come to Rick's Hobby Farm in New Richmond (54017). I'm there almost every Wednesday evening and Saturday all day. Wednesday evenings is when the local pilots start to gather, and Saturdays is the gathering day for the local RC community. Rick's is also host to Boating w/ rescue rowboat available and dirt track RC car racing.

The runway is grass and relatively closely mowed. It's a very open area in the middle of farm fields. Just watch out for the lake... It has claimed 2 planes in the past month, and it's a good 300 yards from the runway.

DavidK

We just finished our 5th Wednesday of Air Combat at Rick's Hobby Farm in New Richmond. Here is a convenient facebook link https://www.facebook.com/FreedomRaceway :cool: We had 4 pilots out today and would LOVE to see more next week. This evening my Bloody Baron was literally cut in half during combat with a nitro. It's now hanger decor at Ricks. I plan on returning next Wednesday evening at 5pm with a Versa wing, Spitfire, and Bloodied Bloody Wonder.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
Thought I would bring this back up to the top to see how everyone is doing?

Built and crashed a few foamies FT 3D built new ones 3X. FT Simple Storch has managed to survive RC Powers SU 34 crashed and built 3 of those third one still flying strong, and a RC Powers SU22. Picked up 2 Valuehobby 32 inch EPP kits at $24 a piece a heck of a good value and tough as nails don`t know how many times I have crashed the G202. Calm days I get my beat up Super Cub S out and fly it out here in front of the shop always forget how much fun that thing is.

With cold weather I have turned my attention to my Hubsan X4 107C FPV and my Eachine 250 Racer FPV. The Hubsan is just plain ass fun to fly in the house or shop, the Eachine I sit in the shop and fly it outside. Cold weather is H-ll on Lipo batteries so have to really watch the time on those. I have treated the 250 with CorrsionX and have dumped it in the snow a couple of times and seems to be fine. Nice thing about now with the snow never have damage hitting the ground.

Even with the quads I STILL HATE WINTER.