What are the penalties for operating an fpv system above 200mW?

IamNabil

I have 124 in the greater Burlington, Vermont area. 22 extras, 25 generals, and 64 technicians. I would guess it is less than 16 square miles. Maybe ten, total. :D

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Only 3 of us in my county of 900 square miles! Even less in the county's around me.

I am a General today but expect to be an Extra before 11:00am tomorrow.
applause.png

Thurmond

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I like to consider myself a benevolent behind the scenes supreme dictator... until riled.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Well I am as suspected now a Extra Class Ham who, by the way, has never even been in front of a Ham Radio much less used one.:confused:

Since Supreme Dictator is spoken for I will pursue the title of Supreme Emperor :p.

Thurmond

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
But the Emperor has no clothes.

I keep talking about getting my license, I have the info for it here somewhere...

One of these days.

earthsciteach

So, does this mean the Soaring Simian has cycled (+1 pun point) through his many hobbies and has nearly returned to his flying toys?

Charles Beener

Only 3 of us in my county of 900 square miles! Even less in the county's around me.

I am a General today but expect to be an Extra before 11:00am tomorrow.
applause.png

Thurmond

I'm sorry I'm a Ham operator that lives in Ohio and we have 112 Hams with in operating range of my Amateur TV station and that use TV. That we exchange TV video two way. I run my TV equipment on two bands 70cm and 23cm. We have 439mhz AM modulation at a 350 watts of power. We work 125 miles almost every day. On 23cm we use 1280mhz and 1258mhz with 18watts but we can output 175 watts on 23cm.

Once in a while we do fly FPV about once a year. I use 439mhz the most but we do use 1258 1269 mhz digital TV
and 1280mhz FM TV every day. on Both bands my beam antennas have around 18 db gain. My feed line is 1 5/8 inch in size. For low loss.

My longest distance on 70cm is 380 miles with a two way video. and on 1280mhz 74 miles. But can work 38 miles about everyday.

I have seen bootleggers on the 1280mhz flying with out a Ham ticket. The next day he got on the air at the same location. One of local Hams walk up to him and ask if he had a Ham ticket. He all most had to go home to change his
underwear LOL.

They only told him that he should get his ham ticker. Before some one turns him into the FCC.

No one has yet.

If you flying around Columbus OHio there is a Amateur TV repeater down town on the highest building downtown.
I think its 680 ft. tall. With outputs on 421.25mhz 1258mhz 1269mhz 10.3ghzFM and inputs on 439.25mhz and 1269mhz and 1280mhz and 2398mhz FM 10.7ghz FM on the 3cm band.

There is always someone watching the outputs of the repeater.

Just some info. to add to the mix.
There are 769 Hams that run Amateur TV in the U.S.A. That I know of. We made a web page that show most
all the Hams that run ATV.
It is hard to keep that data base up to date.

A Ham ticket isn't that hard to get and it a lot of FUN. The ticket last for 7 years. You'll get smarter in radio and Electronics .

Picture below of ATV hams in Ohio
CharlesB

Attachments

• ohio.jpg
    ohio.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 52

robschonk

A Ham ticket isn't that hard to get and it a lot of FUN. The ticket last for 7 years. You'll get smarter in radio and Electronics .

CharlesB

Yep, that's what I keep telling them....

Back in the old days, we had to learn morse code. Now, just a few regulations and some electrical theory. So use windy days to study. Some of the questions I see posted show a disturbing lack of basic electrical knowledge.

Not only will it help you with RC, it's a gateway into a fascinating hobby.

In fairness, quite a few members of this forum are licensed/have become licensed. I've posted links to ARRL, QRZ, etc, where folks can get online info and training.

Now all I need is a plane that can lift a 1000 watt FPV transmitter.

73's
Rob
N4JKL

Last edited:

LordGarak

One thing people seemed to have missed in this thread is that without a HAM licence even low powered ISM Band devices must be FCC certified. Most of the stuff you can order from outside the US isn't certified. 1280MHz isn't in an ISM band as far as I know.

Ham bands and ISM bands over lap on 900MHz and 2.4GHz. So some gear can be used for both.

The bigger issue with operating at higher powers isn't which band your trying to operate in, its the harmonics produced in other bands that are the issue. If your flying near a high powered transmitter operating at say 422Mhz and that mixes inside your transmitter with the 900Mhz local oscillator it will produce a sum harmonic at 1.22 Ghz that could jam GPS for nearby aircraft. That is just a quick off the top of my head example. The math is not that simple and I would hope that the filters are good enough in the 900Mhz transmitters that this is impossible.

I've also noticed that a lot of people using 1280Mhz in youtube videos are not showing their call sign on the video. They could be sending callsign on the audio channel(voice recording or morse code).I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC starts handing out fines based on the evidence all over Youtube. Most videos are from the on board recordings, but I'm talking about the ground station recordings.

73, VE1LX

earthsciteach

Thank you to all of you who have posted in this thread. When I finally get an fpv setup I will definitely acquire the appropriate HAM license.

Charles Beener

Good for you. It's not a cake walk. But if you want a Ham ticket most can do it. I do know a person the has taken the test 30 times to get his and has never got the General ticket. He is still trying.

As far a person using the 23cm band for TV they have to have a Ham ticket. They do sell short range video transmitter. This has to be in a not used space on the TV channels. Max range is 200 ft. and max output 25mw ERP (Effective radiated power). The max elevation not over 20 ft above the average terrain.

robschonk

I've also noticed that a lot of people using 1280Mhz in youtube videos are not showing their call sign on the video. They could be sending callsign on the audio channel(voice recording or morse code).I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC starts handing out fines based on the evidence all over Youtube. Most videos are from the on board recordings, but I'm talking about the ground station recordings.

73, VE1LX

I've heard, but never verified, that the FCC accepts a label containing your call sign attached to your transmitting equipment as identification.

When I get my OSD working, I'm going to add my call sign. If you've got it, you might as well flaunt it.....

robschonk

As far a person using the 23cm band for TV they have to have a Ham ticket. They do sell short range video transmitter. This has to be in a not used space on the TV channels. Max range is 200 ft. and max output 25mw ERP (Effective radiated power). The max elevation not over 20 ft above the average terrain.

If you read the FPV boards, a lot of the Europeans can't even get the equipment into the country, it's confiscated at customs.

And let's not forget the advantages of 433mhz LRS. I guess what we need is a cross band repeater for RC control!

With all the talk about outlawing "Drones", they don't need new legislation, just start enforcing FCC regulations.

Hi, how would you go about broadcasting your signal if you don't have a OSD with custom text? Also do you know anything about a 1.3ghz band being legal to operate on without a ham license? Thanks!

earthsciteach

You can broadcast your ID by simply pointing your camera at it before launching the plane. I began this thread with a bend for not acquiring a license. But, after hearing from people, "in the know," I wouldn't be stepping on some arbitrary government rule, it would be a possible interference of those with another hobby. I don't want to do that. If you are planning on broadcasting, get a HAM license. No worries, then!