What are the penalties for operating an fpv system above 200mW?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
So, I'm still a little confused... You can operate a 200mw system in the U.S. legally without the HAM license? If not how old do you have to be to get one if there is an age restriction? I also checked that website from an earlier post and there are no operators at all in my area. I just started reading through all the posts as well and exactly, what is a ham frequency? Sorry if someone already asked this question. Also, I would only be operating under 200mw- do I need to somehow get a license? Thanks in advance!

If you are able to take the Technician test then you are old enough. There is a picture in the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual on page 1-4 of a very happy second grader who has just passed her test.

Since wireless routers operate at 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz and you don't need a license for them you should be OK at low power but License holders have priority reserved in Frequency useage so the License gives you some teeth if problems occur with other people using the frequency unlicensed who might cause interference for you.

The Technician license test is 35 questions, multiple choice and all the exact questions from the test are here to study before the test:

http://www.ncvec.org/downloads/Revised Element 2.Pdf

Test fee is usually $15 and you can look for a test location here:

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

Thurmond

Last edited:

robschonk

So, I'm still a little confused... You can operate a 200mw system in the U.S. legally without the HAM license? If not how old do you have to be to get one if there is an age restriction? I also checked that website from an earlier post and there are no operators at all in my area. I just started reading through all the posts as well and exactly, what is a ham frequency? Sorry if someone already asked this question. Also, I would only be operating under 200mw- do I need to somehow get a license? Thanks in advance!

Depends on the frequency. I believe you can transmit on channel 1 of the 900mhz band, but any higher freq and you're in the ham bands. Not a worry for me, because I'm a licensed ham.

There are groups of frequencies called ISM Frequencies (industrial, scientific, medical) where licenses aren't required for specific rf power output.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band

It varies by region and country, so check local regs.

These are generally the frequencies used by cell phones, Bluetooth, wifi, etc.

Get a ham ticket and you're covered for amateur frequencies up to 1kw. Any of you have a FPV that could haul one of those aloft?

Even the 433mhz LRS frequencies are only legal without a license in Africa, Europe and the old Soviet Union. With a ham ticket, you're good to go from 420 to 450mhz.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Hambands_color.pdf

It's easy. Quit procrastinating and do it. Ask any ham. They'll be glad to help.

-.. . -. ....- .--- -.- .-..

If you are able to take the Technician test then you are old enough. There is a picture in the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual on page 1-4 of a very happy second grader who has just passed her test.

Since wireless routers operate at 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz and you don't need a license for them you should be OK at low power but License holders have priority reserved in Frequency useage so the License gives you some teeth if problems occur with other people using the frequency unlicensed who might cause interference for you.

The Technician license test is 35 questions, multiple choice and all the exact questions from the test are here to study before the test:

http://www.ncvec.org/downloads/Revised Element 2.Pdf

Test fee is usually $15 and you can look for a test location here:

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

Thurmond

Thanks! I will most likely be operating 900mhz or 1.3 ghz is there any "penalties" for those frequencies?

Tritium

Those frequencies REQUIRE a license. Your call sign can be appended to your OSD (on screen display) if you have one and it offers the function. As far as the Long Range Remote Radio Control you are required to have a tag attached to your transmitter with your Call Sign and contact information.

It is funny yesterday I was just a pig (ask my wife ;)) Today I am a Government certified Licensed General Ham.:p I went in for the Technician test only. Passed it so I was offered the General test (no additional cost). Much to my surprise I passed it as well (only by a 2 question margin). I was then offered the Amateur Extra test which I declined (its a tough one and requires some study first). I will go back for the final test next month.

Thurmond

Last edited:

robschonk

GREAT! I'm an Advanced. Way back then you needed 20WPM Morse for Extra. When the requirement was dropped, I just never figured it was worth it for the extra bandwidth.

We need to get a Flitetest Net going....

Tritium

GREAT! I'm an Advanced. Way back then you needed 20WPM Morse for Extra. When the requirement was dropped, I just never figured it was worth it for the extra bandwidth.

We need to get a Flitetest Net going....

Thanks, I need a radio First! ;) I don't think my video transmitter will reach NC.

Thurmond

robschonk

image.jpg

lonewolf7717

ham radio as a hobby seems to be very regional.....noticed you are in mass.....have talked with a couple other guys from new england area.....seems as if a ham operator license goes hand in hand with that whole boy scout/soap box derby/american apple pie vibe your guys have going up there. the few guys i know here in Texas even remotely interested in amateur ham are all aggies (inside joke)

vjacheslav.tsygankov

Hi everyone!
There is the question: I`m not US citizen, how can I get this licence, or is there some frequencies on which I can fly without licence in Texas?

Thanks