What did you crash today

FTstefan19

I finally pulled the trigger on getting in the hobby and wrecked my wallet today.

Hooray for supporting the FliteTest store though!

WELCOME! We wouldn't be able to do what we do without support from you and the rest of the community!! We hope you have a blast and quick success in the hobby as well!!

Happy Flying!

S.O
FT Crew

firebat45

0nWRBID.jpg

The punjets weren't from today, but notable. First RC planes ever, for my friend an I. In retrospect, not the best plane to start with, but it was fun anyhow. We kept repairing and crashing, eventually armoring the front of the plane with thin aluminium. By the end, there wasn't really much left. Mine was still flying, but his (with bamboo rudder supports) was no longer able to stay in the air.

R9tiofA.jpg

From Sunday, my V2 FT Explorer. V1 crashed into a river and lit on fire, that was fun. This was getting progressively weaker at the tail boom junction (that's why it was reinforced) until it actually folded mid-flight. Destroyed the nose with that "landing". All the electronics and the wing were fine, so I'm rebuilding that as a twin boom inverted v-tail.

Learning to fly is hard without someone to help, but FT has been a huge help. I wouldn't be doing it without the info and help I've gotten from the forums here, the Youtube channel, and the speedbuild kits.

rallekralle11

Actually not a bad flyer
i lost control of my mini arrow, and it flew straight into the ground at high speed, and amazingly it survived without a scratch.
that's the third time it's happened, i suspect the reciever might be the problem.

Jugsy

That's unfortunate rallekralle11, these things take a beating but they look a lot better airborne.

Have a read of your Receiver's manual/documentation and see how the Failsafe is set up. You can modify what happens to the controls when signal is lost - return to neutral, hold last, etc. Might at least resolve the 'high speed' side of things, if not the crashing.. :p

rallekralle11

Actually not a bad flyer
That's unfortunate rallekralle11, these things take a beating but they look a lot better airborne.

Have a read of your Receiver's manual/documentation and see how the Failsafe is set up. You can modify what happens to the controls when signal is lost - return to neutral, hold last, etc. Might at least resolve the 'high speed' side of things, if not the crashing.. :p

alright, maybe i can set it to not move the elevons straight down.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
This is my most recent crash. This is what happens when the top comes off of the elevator servo in flight. I received the plane in pieces after someone else crashed it even worse than I did. I repaired it without a copy of the plans but I did not replace all of the servos :rolleyes:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Lucky I missed the concrete "Cricket Pitch":black_eyed:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

Does it have a "Release the Ballistic parachute" Mode. LOL:D

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Ouch!:eek:

I hope you were able to save the patient it looks like it was a beautiful model and I hope it will be again. (I know you can fix it after all I have rebuilt worse - REALLY!!!)

3D jigsaws don't you just love them. :rolleyes:

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
I have rebuilt it many times since then, now its got a depron nose. :) it was all hot glue with foam highlights....
it is very fast, and the landing glide was totally uncontrollable. waaay to fast.
Abe

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
To put the foam jigsaw together again local in your local discount variety store for a craft glue called "Office Central, Clear Craft Glue". When dry the glue will be stronger than the foam around it and it weighs very little. If you use it sparingly the weight increase would be negligible. It only costs $2.50 for 100ml here in Brisbane.

I started using Depron a while ago and even used the Hobby shop supplied UHU brand glue. The glue I mentioned is in my mind equal in performance and I use it for all foam builds including FB.

As to the plane, (sorry for the raving on), I have three VFast planes in my "hangar" the least controllable, a Wingnetic Speedwing from HobbyKing, needed the throws wound right back if I was to fly at any decent speed and retain control. The other 2 are similar but not as bad.

Do you have any recent flying shots?

hackofalltrades

Rocket Surgeon
I was hovering my MM Scout in the wind when it got forced down hard. Folded up my LG and I lost a wheel. I threw it back up in the air and flew it again. I landed it on one wheel which really finished off the LG. All fixed and good to go now.

Userofmuchtape&glue

To put the foam jigsaw together again local in your local discount variety store for a craft glue called "Office Central, Clear Craft Glue". When dry the glue will be stronger than the foam around it and it weighs very little. If you use it sparingly the weight increase would be negligible. It only costs $2.50 for 100ml here in Brisbane.

I started using Depron a while ago and even used the Hobby shop supplied UHU brand glue. The glue I mentioned is in my mind equal in performance and I use it for all foam builds including FB.

As to the plane, (sorry for the raving on), I have three VFast planes in my "hangar" the least controllable, a Wingnetic Speedwing from HobbyKing, needed the throws wound right back if I was to fly at any decent speed and retain control. The other 2 are similar but not as bad.

Do you have any recent flying shots?

Sorry, I don't have any flying shots, I fly on my own so no camera man!
I will look for that glue, It sounds good. thanks!
I have been using pva wood glue, very strong and light to. the plane was a art-tech mini p 51 mustang, I put crazy over powered brushless motor and all new gear in it, unlimited vert on 1/2 throttle :)
Abe

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As for the white glue it makes a great strengthener for foamboard. I built an "OTTO" a depron design out of foamboard and painted the wings with the white glue prior to painting.

So far I have crashed it in almost every known manner and it is still flying. It has a few dents in the wing LEs from high speed tree landings and I have knocked the wings off a few times but a few new skewers and some glue and it flies again everytime.

Daemon1954

Gull and squirrel assaination attempt

I was out flying my whipit at a local park when a gull flew close by and knocked the wing, I was over 100' up the plane went into a RH turn/dive, and spiralled around into a fir tree, there was at the top (where it hit) a squirrel.

Why? I dont know, but he was there, the plane hit the tree right where he was, he jumped (15' or so) and hit the ground with a thump on the whipit which come down with him.

Saved me having to retrieve the whipit however damage was quite severe, broken nose at the wing root and Horizontal stabilizer hanging by the pushrod... LMAO it was so comic I bet that sequence never happens again.

In anycase the whipit suvives after some CA and tape, and appears to fly just fine.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
yes I like the white glue. Wow that would have used a bit of glue to paint the wings!

Yes but there is a trick as always.

I diluted the white glue a little with water and used a smaller paint roller to quickly cover the sheet. When dry the sheet was extremely rigid and I used old style solvent based spray paint to finish the model.

So far I think it has crashed from a miriad of different issues more than 50 times including treeings all on the original material. I rarely fly it anymore due to the limited amount of time in the mornings and my need to test fly other models. besides the original design is relatively poor and my other aircraft easily out perform it.

The only issue I had was before it was painted the glue tended to soak a little water and soften which caused really weird wing flexing problems.

Anyway it is definitely better than Hot Melt in most situations.:eek:

Capt_Beavis

I folded my Arrow for a third time a couple of weeks ago. Mid week I went out in the evening with my 7 year old son and my Bushwacker. The rudder got stuck full right and it came down nose first. My son said "that wasn't too bad, dad, you kept it pretty straight". I crashed it 2x is more that day before ripping the gear off. It was still a fun evening. This weekend this was the only crash. The baron is a year old and needs to be rebuilt so I tried a stunt I have been wanting to do for a while. I almost made it. The only damage was a loose firewall.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/808hh0yav9ny75d/20160904_085026.mp4?dl=0