What did you crash today

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Yes but there is a trick as always.

I diluted the white glue a little with water and used a smaller paint roller to quickly cover the sheet. When dry the sheet was extremely rigid and I used old style solvent based spray paint to finish the model.

So far I think it has crashed from a miriad of different issues more than 50 times including treeings all on the original material. I rarely fly it anymore due to the limited amount of time in the mornings and my need to test fly other models. besides the original design is relatively poor and my other aircraft easily out perform it.

The only issue I had was before it was painted the glue tended to soak a little water and soften which caused really weird wing flexing problems.

Anyway it is definitely better than Hot Melt in most situations.:eek:

Ahh, now I get you! I will try it Me thinks. and the slim cac, no good. crashed it waaay to many times. extended the nose to get proper cg and turned it into a high winger, then a elevator failure from 300'. :)
Abe

JuulRNLAF

In the water

Couple of weeks ago I crashed my bix3 in the water. I jumped in the water, and recovered it. ESC wasn't working anymore.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Ahh, now I get you! I will try it Me thinks. and the slim cac, no good. crashed it waaay to many times. extended the nose to get proper cg and turned it into a high winger, then a elevator failure from 300'. :)
Abe

Abe,

Just a word of warning with coating in white glue. You can get what I call "Cupping" of the material in that it can bow up into a saucer shape when drying if one side dries faster than the other. The fix is simple when you notice it cupping just "Paint" the cupped side with a little water and allow the other side to dry and flatten the sheet. The most effort it took for me on a large wing panel was three separate "Paintings" and it then dried perfectly flat.

TAIL HEAVY. This seems to be a feature of the model with many short nose FB designs especially when using Aussie FB.
Solutions are many and varied. Extending the nose works but can mean effectively a new fuselage and a loss of the scale look not to forget that the plane now weighs more.

You can just add balance weights to the nose again a ,Sometimes massive, increase in weight and increased chance of a truly fatal landing.

Shifting the battery and electronics forward can help but as most short nose designs have already put everything forward this can be difficult.

Move the wing backwards over the new CG. The reduced tail moment can give very different flight parameters than those touted in the original FT article and like the extending the nose it can change the look which is what attracted you to the model in the first place.

Another method is to replace the tail members of the aircraft with a lighter material like depron. This works well but the depron is a little more prone to hangar rash than the FB,

Finally there is an "Old School" method which is still in use in full size aircraft design today and that is lightening holes. On your tail heavy FB design you remove Non-structural pieces of FB from the Tail and the tail boom. The holes that remain are quickly covered with light paper or tissue and then you apply your preferred colouring method. I have even used 3mm Depron as an outer skin of lightened FB and even over a balsa frame and it works quite well.

I hope this gives you a valid pathway for your CA-13. My early scratching on my project, (which means it is about a year away), where to use a BF framework over which I was to carve an XPS fuselage to give the proper shape. I was also going to use foam core wings of XPS cut on my own foam cutting rig, (currently in pieces).

When it comes to building that special aircraft just remember the quote from the movie 300, "Never retreat, Never Surrender". Eventually it will come to you!

Regards
Bob:black_eyed:

kevparang

Well I have a crash, that was made from wind, and not seen the plane really. So I am flying my champ S+ around, and I crash in a tree that is huge, we throw rocks at the plane and It drops down, the front has a chipped of part, and the wing is cracked a bit, easy tape and glue fix. So lesson learned do not fly far it no FPV or spotters.

kacknor

Build another!
Been a while since I posted about a crash. Had one this morning. I was on my third morning flight. Due to wind direction I was forced into a short field approach to landing and was circling to lose altitude. On the last downwind turn I stalled it and it fell to earth from about 25 feet. Arrgh. Long walk over to the weeds.

The good news: I'll be flying in the morning. Hot water in an Igloo cooler works wonders.

First two are before. It sure fills up the room!

20160818_121327_s.jpg 20160818_125705_s.jpg 20160905_111316_s.jpg 20160905_111338_s.jpg 20160905_111406_s.jpg 20160905_112601_s.jpg 20160905_120703_s.jpg

Will get a few repair pics tomorrow. It's gotten dark in my patio repair shop here at the lake. ;)

JD

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Bob,
Thank you very much for your time! all your points are well noted.
did you find that the weight gain with the glue painting was to drastic? my brain is ticking...
So I will give you the full story.
I always loved the boomerang, and wanted do do a rc one. I used 6mm depron and wing tape. I printed out a set of 3 veiws, and timed everything by 5 to get a 32'' W.S.
its got a kf2 airfoil, with the spar taped to the front of the wing. (dowel with alu joints.)
It had aileron, elevator and throttle.
setup was:

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 2826-1240kv

1300mah 3S

HX900 x3

orange receiver

9x6 prop

The all up weight was 410 grams. so so I guess. the canopy was made ft style, but the fuz looked to fat. the maiden went okay, but I could really feel the drag.
I flew it with the canopy of for a week, and then put it on the shelf.

lately I took it down and thinned down the fuz by 4cm. I wanted it to go fast, like the mustang. I took of all the tape, and generally tidied it up. I painted it right away, as if I fly them in the bare foam it will never happen. :)
oil based green on the wing, tail and top and bottom of the fuz. white on the sides of the fuz and top of the ailerons.
I also made a new canopy, flat with a small cockpit.
It was looking really good, kinda like a yak-3.
all the gear in, and with every thing right up front, it was tail heavy. flew it anyway, and just barely got it down!
taped 2x AA batts to the nose, and flew again. 30 secs in, the prop went AWOL. nose dive again...

made the nose longer by 3.5cm, and put a cowl on it. battery further forward, all good. launch was good, nice and straight for 50'. a slow right turn and it spun in a spiral right into the ground. like it was crazy tail heavy but the cg was right on the leading edge! back with the AA's, and same thing.
swapped the wing and canopy, also moved the wing back 1.5cm. it flew okay, but elevator failure completely wrecked it.:applause::rolleyes: just threw it on my desk and it's there still....:(
I have been flying my bixler 1.1 with a nose mounted park 480, and 2200mah 3s up behind the wing. low powered radio went out of range and ca-splat, snapped the left wing tip off from the end of the aileron to the L.E. I cut the other tip of, to its got no dihedral and a shorter wingspan. up it goes again, and WOW! flat inverted spins like there's no tomorrow, looks like a string tied to the nose and getting spun around vertically!
Again, thanks so much for your help bob,
Abe

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It does add a little extra weight but as most of the glue is actually water when applied it evarorates and leaves a rigid glue film with just a little added weight.

As to your flying aircraft I am impressed! I truly like your style in using what you have to experiment.

Now it seems that my CA-13 has moved up the project list I will inform you when I start to design and prototype.

Keep up the good works

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well I have a crash, that was made from wind, and not seen the plane really. So I am flying my champ S+ around, and I crash in a tree that is huge, we throw rocks at the plane and It drops down, the front has a chipped of part, and the wing is cracked a bit, easy tape and glue fix. So lesson learned do not fly far it no FPV or spotters.

Kevparang,

There is an easier way to get planes out of a tree. Where I fly the field is surrounded by 30metre, (100ft), trees and planes often end up in the top of the tree. (Must be some unwritten law of model aerodynamics:rolleyes:.

To get a plane out of the tree we use a slingshot, fishing line, a lead weight and a length of rope. With the weight tied to the end of the fishing line we use the slingshot to shoot the weight over the branch on which the plane is resting.

we then feed out extra fishing line until the weight reaches the ground. the lead weight is removed and one end of the rope is tied to the fishing line and the fishing line is then slowly pulled back which causes the end of the rope to rise up into the tree, over the branch, and back to the ground.

Then the rope is pulled and released to rock the branch and the plane until it falls out of the tree to the ground. Half of the fliers at our field use the same method and it works very well.

kacknor

Build another!
Hot water, not boiling, will heat up the bent foam and return it to its original shape. More or less.

I'll have a video of this one soon. But I also have a Tundra that I call Zombie because it's been dead 4 times. ;)

Note, we have no small children in the house, so our water is set up to about scald. Normally the use of a large pot or bucket is required. :cool:

JD

kdobson83

3rd flight of the FT Mini Mustang I lost orientation at my local park about 200ft out. It was dusk so low light with an all white (was about to paint) plane and a so so intermediate pilot are a bad mix. Lol It flew low enough that I could see it in contrast to the grassy hill behind it but was too late at this point. 30mph flying nose first at the ground, couldn't pull out of the dive. Accordiended the nose pretty badly. I've had some rough landings, even a few crashes, but never nose first at full speed. Lol Well, got me back to my work bench building the Old Fogey and got my son a new chuck glider. 😉👍

Gota love crashing a plane and it only cost you $2 and a few hours. #iloveflitetest

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Lightning hit the house (or very near it) yesterday. It crashed my UPS, permanently. Now my PC keeps rebooting every few minutes.

I crashed my PC a few times today. I just don't know when the next restart will happen. It seems to be complet

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks Bob,
I am truly grateful for you interest in my rc adventure, and good luck with your boomerang.
Abe

Welcome back Abe,

You seem to want to fly fast and maneuverable models so I have a question for you.

How fast do you want to go?

Fast.
Very Fast.
Ridiculous
Where did it go?

I will continue this discussion under the plans thread!!

kacknor

Build another!
Here is the video showing the EPO type foam repair I did on my crashed Radian XL. it's not a full repair vid, concentrating only on the foam straightening. I also had to glue a lot of seam separations and a few minor rips, plus of course removing the motor and ESC, then ensure whatever was left didn't get wet.

Foam Tac is closest to what I used for glue, but it wasn't. I was on vacation and had only a generic white tube of some Hobby King stuff that came with a Ridge Ryder I bought a few months ago. It worked fine.

JD