What did you crash today

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Throttle Up going into a loop, not cut the throttle. Also start stunts higher off the ground (I was flying a touch lower then I should for stunts as the wind above the tree lines was very turbulent). Snapped both rubberbands in 2, pushed the motor mount back ~1/4", and the annoying bit -> ripped that servo wire out of its connector.

CrashServoWiresBroken.jpg

KSP_CPA

I did a loop and lost all elevator control. Not sure if it was a LOS or the elevator got unplugged or what, but whatever the case, I had no elevator control as I was facing the ground and she went straight nose in.

I assume the picture is how you found her, but I notice the servos are completely centered on both your left aileron and elevator. Also assuming the signal to those servos were cut physically by the force of the impact, those servos were in a centered position at the time of meeting with terrain.

FAA would have concluded either signal interference or BEC current loss to receiver resulted in loss of control while in a non-abortive flight situation.

Anything salvageable?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I assume the picture is how you found her, but I notice the servos are completely centered on both your left aileron and elevator. Also assuming the signal to those servos were cut physically by the force of the impact, those servos were in a centered position at the time of meeting with terrain.

FAA would have concluded either signal interference or BEC current loss to receiver resulted in loss of control while in a non-abortive flight situation.

Anything salvageable?
I'm pretty sure that all the control surfaces were still working after the crash. I did, however, remember that I had used basswood instead of plywood for the wooden parts. That part is all that supports the tail, and loops would put a lot of stress on that part. Since basswood is less strong than plywood, it could have broken when pulling that last loop thus would explain the loss of elevator control. The tail broke off completely on the crash so it's impossible to tell whether or not that was the cause but it's the best explanation I can think of... The wing and back portion of the booms are in pretty good shape, so I think that if I replace the front of the booms and nose, she'll fly again. She won't be as pretty but will still look amazing in the air! The P-38 is such a nice flyer!

bwarz

Master member
Why I can have nice things....or try to end on a good note next time:rolleyes: I maidened a super cub this eve. Nice flying even though a bit windy (I am still a novice pilot, so it was a happy night) Got home and took out the micro pt17. Too windy and a bit of a hair-raising landing, but no casualties. So instead of taking the hints of the evening, I decided to fly my mini scout again...in the wind...in my obstacle-laden back yard. Gust of wind...cut throttle...glide toward house...little throttle...got this....oops, tree...more throttle (lots)...gust of wind between houses...uh-oh...plane, propeller, battery...meet patio wall...:p:D:cry::eek:
20200520_211450.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Why I can have nice things....or try to end on a good note next time:rolleyes: I maidened a super cub this eve. Nice flying even though a bit windy (I am still a novice pilot, so it was a happy night) Got home and took out the micro pt17. Too windy and a bit of a hair-raising landing, but no casualties. So instead of taking the hints of the evening, I decided to fly my mini scout again...in the wind...in my obstacle-laden back yard. Gust of wind...cut throttle...glide toward house...little throttle...got this....oops, tree...more throttle (lots)...gust of wind between houses...uh-oh...plane, propeller, battery...meet patio wall...:p:D:cry::eek: View attachment 169513
Build, fly, crash, repeat :)