What did you crash today

Burnhard

@Burnhard depending on your failsafe, even with the FC it should have gone to zero throttle after signal loss, it might not be that far away...

For any FPV more serious than a backyard basher I usually go with some kind of RTH option. I like the Zohd kopilot myself.

Well, I am relatively new to the hobby and have no experience with the failsafe settings yet (probably something I should change quickly). From what I know, my receiver has a range of up to two Kilometers and the potential search corridor is about 90 degrees in an area including some forrests. I will put up some signs on the fieldways in that area with a reward in case anyone stumbles across the aircraft. On the positive side, I got a small GPS tracker this week so that should not happen again ;-)

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
@Burnhard depending on your failsafe, even with the FC it should have gone to zero throttle after signal loss, it might not be that far away...

For any FPV more serious than a backyard basher I usually go with some kind of RTH option. I like the Zohd kopilot myself.
I'm not so sure that because of signal loss it would automatically go to zero throttle, I know that with my transmitter that plane would have kept going until the battery ran out without setting up the failsafe first

Hondo76251

Legendary member
On the positive side, none of the local newspapers reported an incident by which a pedestrian was hit by a model Viggen ;-)
😂 how about ufo sightings?

Ive toyed with a lot of different failsafes when using FC's. I got an Aura board but ive yet to install it in anything and been a while since I was researching them so dont remember exactly how they are set up. Do you have your throttle signal going through the board or is just from Rx to ESC? I know the aura has launch assist but without GPS i assume it doesnt have anything like "cruise" mode where it would control the throttle. The default "failsafe" on most Rx ive found is zero throttle on signal loss and unless the aura can ignore that input, it seems like the motor should stop. Guess that leads to another question, how long did you have your throttle powered up after losing orientation? Would it be possibe to have still had the plane within signal range when you powered down the throttle?

dap35

Elite member
IMG_2646.jpeg

A sad day for my GrunJet today.... I think I exceeded the limits of sudden deceleration - complete pilot error.
New EDF on order. Plenty of foamboard on hand.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
View attachment 200563

A sad day for my GrunJet today.... I think I exceeded the limits of sudden deceleration - complete pilot error.
New EDF on order. Plenty of foamboard on hand.
That is a thorough job! Love your attitude, though. I'm working hard on shedding the "I spent 6 months building this" frame of mind and developing a healthy outlook like yours. Ya gotta love DTFB!

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
So I finally figured out the whole video thing LOL! here is a part of my maiden/crash day last Sunday. The P-40 aileron problem has been fixed and the Grifflyer L-39 is good to go again. spoiler alert lol. I'll get better as I go guys and gals as far as video editing and stuff so bear with me. As you can see it's just me so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. all in all it's pretty boring LOL!

Burnhard

😂 how about ufo sightings?

Ive toyed with a lot of different failsafes when using FC's. I got an Aura board but ive yet to install it in anything and been a while since I was researching them so dont remember exactly how they are set up. Do you have your throttle signal going through the board or is just from Rx to ESC? I know the aura has launch assist but without GPS i assume it doesnt have anything like "cruise" mode where it would control the throttle. The default "failsafe" on most Rx ive found is zero throttle on signal loss and unless the aura can ignore that input, it seems like the motor should stop. Guess that leads to another question, how long did you have your throttle powered up after losing orientation? Would it be possibe to have still had the plane within signal range when you powered down the throttle?
No UFO sigthings either;-) I think the throttle went into the receiver and from the receiver I had one cable to the Aura. I have to say the Aura is by far the best flight stabilizor I’ve used. Its way better then the NX3 and the gyros from the Graupner receivers. With the Aura, the Viggen was really flying on rails. I am currently building a new Viggen with the same setup and will conduct a few tests.

Last edited:

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
RIP mini sportster. You will be rebuilt (but in elmers foam, that stuff can take a hit. Makerfoam gets destroyed very easily)

Attachments

• WIN_20210529_08_35_45_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210529_08_35_45_Pro.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0

Burnhard

A few weeks ago I lost my first Viggen so I build a new one, maidened it today and lost it again, BUT this time I had a GPS tracker in it and found it in less than 10 minutes.
So what happened? For launch I had set the Aura to launch assist. After launch, for no apparent reason, I only had throttle control but not over the elevons. Once I noted that, I cut the throttle and saw it disappear behind a treeline. The Viggen sails beautifully so after the treeline it sailed into a corn field. Almost no damage other than a bruised nose, which is still good to fly.

Attachments

• B8986FB9-3D46-4625-A055-35C5BB4BEA08.jpeg
    B8986FB9-3D46-4625-A055-35C5BB4BEA08.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
A few weeks ago I lost my first Viggen so I build a new one, maidened it today and lost it again, BUT this time I had a GPS tracker in it and found it in less than 10 minutes.
So what happened? For launch I had set the Aura to launch assist. After launch, for no apparent reason, I only had throttle control but not over the elevons. Once I noted that, I cut the throttle and saw it disappear behind a treeline. The Viggen sails beautifully so after the treeline it sailed into a corn field. Almost no damage other than a bruised nose, which is still good to fly.
Nice job!

Matagami Designs

Master member
20210627_173633.jpg
20210627_180334.jpg
That didnt take long. 1 and a half flights since I painted it up and its pretty beat up. Was midway through a loop and lost focus for a split second as another plane was flying overhead. 🐿 Lost orientation as it tended to sort of roll in a loop as well. I'm guessing the foam dosent have the best torsional stiffness at speed and was deflecting more on the servo side? Anyone ever have this issue on the edge?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
That didnt take long. 1 and a half flights since I painted it up and its pretty beat up. Was midway through a loop and lost focus for a split second as another plane was flying overhead. 🐿 Lost orientation as it tended to sort of roll in a loop as well. I'm guessing the foam dosent have the best torsional stiffness at speed and was deflecting more on the servo side? Anyone ever have this issue on the edge?

haven't built an edge, but have noticed that I can twist ailerons [at least slightly] by pressing on the far edge from the servo. if your issue was in the elevator, I would expect there to be some sort of stiffening to deal with the cutout for the rudder.

was the roll with/against what you would expect from a torque roll? would the changing speed and attitude change the effect on any roll trim and? or could you accidentally doing what I did quite a bit when I started out and when going full stick on elevator, accidentally mix in some roll because I hit the end of the stick movement?

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
View attachment 202530 View attachment 202529 That didnt take long. 1 and a half flights since I painted it up and its pretty beat up. Was midway through a loop and lost focus for a split second as another plane was flying overhead. 🐿 Lost orientation as it tended to sort of roll in a loop as well. I'm guessing the foam dosent have the best torsional stiffness at speed and was deflecting more on the servo side? Anyone ever have this issue on the edge?
Ouch!!!

Matagami Designs

Master member
haven't built an edge, but have noticed that I can twist ailerons [at least slightly] by pressing on the far edge from the servo. if your issue was in the elevator, I would expect there to be some sort of stiffening to deal with the cutout for the rudder.

was the roll with/against what you would expect from a torque roll? would the changing speed and attitude change the effect on any roll trim and? or could you accidentally doing what I did quite a bit when I started out and when going full stick on elevator, accidentally mix in some roll because I hit the end of the stick movement?
There is a bit of stiffener in the middle but with such a large surface I assume it's still twisting a bit. I doubt it was torque related but there is always a chance I just have dumb thumbs since I dont pinch the sticks like your supposed to for aerobatics. I will have to get better at this I suppose. I think I need to find a better way to add color without spending so much time as well. Vinyl, tape and such..