What did you crash today?

mastermalpass

Elite member
Yesterday, I told @MaxTheFliteFreak that in my Bipe's 2 3/4 year lifetime, the only things it's needed replacing or adding was props and tape... Think I jinxed it - Add lolly sticks to that list! 😂

Screenshot_20230122_122144_Gallery.jpg

I just now chanced it in some strong winds and was enjoying hovering when the wind got stronger and stronger - time to bring it in. It was too gusty to vertical land gently, it was gonna touch down with a thud. No problem; it lands like that half the time anyway... Well, the wind turned it side-on at the last 0.3 seconds, so that was a bit harder than expected:

Screenshot_20230122_121322_Gallery.jpg

Now that may look like a serious bend, but the bipe is tough - it bounced right out of that:

Screenshot_20230122_121402_Gallery.jpg

The trouble starts when the wind doesn't let it settle and the cartwheel continues:

Screenshot_20230122_121430_Gallery.jpg

And in the meanest way possible, the wind pushes the plane backwards against its tail:

Screenshot_20230122_121439_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230122_121447_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230122_121455_Gallery.jpg

That was the last roll before it settled as well! 😡😂

Screenshot_20230122_121510_Gallery.jpg

Not much work to fix - can probably fly again with just hot glue. But the tail has always been a bit flimsy, so it could do with a more firm repair. Which is good, 'cause as of this moment I have zero airworthy planes!

MaxTheFliteFreak

Yesterday, I told @MaxTheFliteFreak that in my Bipe's 2 3/4 year lifetime, the only things it's needed replacing or adding was props and tape... Think I jinxed it - Add lolly sticks to that list! 😂

View attachment 234001

I just now chanced it in some strong winds and was enjoying hovering when the wind got stronger and stronger - time to bring it in. It was too gusty to vertical land gently, it was gonna touch down with a thud. No problem; it lands like that half the time anyway... Well, the wind turned it side-on at the last 0.3 seconds, so that was a bit harder than expected:

View attachment 234002

Now that may look like a serious bend, but the bipe is tough - it bounced right out of that:

View attachment 234003

The trouble starts when the wind doesn't let it settle and the cartwheel continues:

View attachment 234004

And in the meanest way possible, the wind pushes the plane backwards against its tail:

View attachment 234005
View attachment 234006
View attachment 234007

View attachment 234008

Not much work to fix - can probably fly again with just hot glue. But the tail has always been a bit flimsy, so it could do with a more firm repair. Which is good, 'cause as of this moment I have zero airworthy planes!
I'm sorry to hear. Always sucks to not have anything to fly.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Crashed my Original Inductrix FPV HARD several times. Didn't really notice the multiple frame fractures till I got home. This will now be retired and replaced by a NewBeeDrone Cockroach Frame, NBD gold motors, BeeBrain V1 flight controller, and tri-blade props.

LB

mastermalpass

Elite member
Crashed my Original Inductrix FPV HARD several times. Didn't really notice the multiple frame fractures till I got home. This will now be retired and replaced by a NewBeeDrone Cockroach Frame, NBD gold motors, BeeBrain V1 flight controller, and tri-blade props.

LB

I was wondering what kind of frame you had to put cracks in it. Was expecting the old-school carbon-fiber sheets, Googled the Original Inductrix... Ah, a tiny whoop. Well it's not a proper session if you don't crash those multiple times, is it? 😁

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

View attachment 234001

View attachment 234002

View attachment 234003

View attachment 234004

View attachment 234005
View attachment 234006
View attachment 234007

View attachment 234008

fix it.... but might be a thought to build a new one, . :ROFLMAO:

mastermalpass

Elite member
fix it.... but might be a thought to build a new one, . :ROFLMAO:

I can't build a new one. Best I can do is build one very similar using plans I reverse-engineered from it. But before that, I have an Albatross to continue making... Then foamboard to buy!

My Su-35 needs a pretty straightforward repair jobby, it's nearly all cosmetic. But I started thinking; I've flown it a lot, getting a little bored of it, maybe this is an excuse to cut it up and make a new parkjet... Then I remembered I don't have enough foamboard for another project, so I might as well glue it back together and fly it a few more times! 😂

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I can't build a new one. Best I can do is build one very similar using plans I reverse-engineered from it. But before that, I have an Albatross to continue making... Then foamboard to buy!

My Su-35 needs a pretty straightforward repair jobby, it's nearly all cosmetic. But I started thinking; I've flown it a lot, getting a little bored of it, maybe this is an excuse to cut it up and make a new parkjet... Then I remembered I don't have enough foamboard for another project, so I might as well glue it back together and fly it a few more times! 😂
lol. i feel ya.

i absolutley love my little su-57 i designed, prop slot, but wow it's crazy fast lol

WillL84

Well remember the one GIANT pine in my "what did you fly today" post? Well it killed my Legacy tonight. She flew MINT the other night. Tonight she wasn't flying right - it's like the Aura was messed up or something and it just wasn't working - so hard to control. I was trying to bring it back in for a power cycle and BOOM. Time for a new C pack kit I suppose!

I did fly the UMX Sport cub S2 around though and that was a fun little thing. Let my daughter and her friend fly it too!

20230618_201500 (Small).jpg

20230618_201806 (Small).jpg

Onboard video from my Hero 8:

Last edited:

dap35

Elite member
Well remember the one GIANT pine in my "what did you fly today" post? Well it killed my Legacy tonight. She flew MINT the other night. Tonight she wasn't flying right - it's like the Aura was messed up or something and it just wasn't working - so hard to control. I was trying to bring it back in for a power cycle and BOOM. Time for a new C pack kit I suppose!

I did fly the UMX Sport cub S2 around though and that was a fun little thing. Let my daughter and her friend fly it too!

View attachment 238342

View attachment 238343

Onboard video from my Hero 8:
Sorry to see. It sounds like you lost signal or had interference. Do you have failsafe set on your receiver? You can set it up so that your throttle is cut and self level mode is enabled. I even have mine set to give it rudder for a slow circled descent.

WillL84

Sorry to see. It sounds like you lost signal or had interference. Do you have failsafe set on your receiver? You can set it up so that your throttle is cut and self level mode is enabled. I even have mine set to give it rudder for a slow circled descent.
You can hear me throttle it up. It was responding fine. The elevator was full up but she wouldn't climb. Before that I barely hit the elevator and it shot straight up and stalled. This was all with the aura in still. Going to get another legacy kit and go again

WillL84

Great video but so sad to see a clean build torn up like that. What are your thoughts on this model?
I really like it actually. Going to buy another kit and build it again. Lots of things I did the first time I would do differently. It was my first ever kit though

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Pulled out of spin dive heading in wrong orientation, throttled up right into tree. Considering this was going to fly in combat @FF23, the damage is lite
IMG_20230707_183436175.jpg

A little foam tac will be good as new!

LB

voyhager3

Randomly lost all roll control, then a complete loss of signal from the aircraft right before it crashed, the variometer said it was going about 48 mph after conversions.

ABC359BA-195D-4B54-8149-C9501DE2819C.jpeg

The water saved the battery from exploding thankfully, and I was still able to get it away from the road(s) (but mainly the busy one not visible in the picture) before the impact.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Randomly lost all roll control, then a complete loss of signal from the aircraft right before it crashed, the variometer said it was going about 48 mph after conversions.

View attachment 238954

The water saved the battery from exploding thankfully, and I was still able to get it away from the road(s) (but mainly the busy one not visible in the picture) before the impact.

Well at least you landed in shallow water that you barely need to step into, nice shot! 😁

FishbonesAir

Had a little mishap today. Right after the start the battery decided to exit the aircraft resulting in an immediate loss of control and a pretty hard landing.

Lesson learned, will add battery straps next time.
Yah, hard to control with no power & CG screwed.

Robert S

Maiden Flight of a 700mm F-86 that my wife gave me for my Birthday last year. I finally got around to building it and decided to fly it before the rains started this weekend. This one has no rudder and so its a "bank & yank. I put a Aura 5 Lite controller in it. I was a pain to get it to climb, but once I got it going up I started to turn and it was so slow. I tried to do a hard bank and pull back on the stick, but it just wanted to do a big lazy turn and hit the tree line. I collected my plane in shame, went home, and tried to forget about it while taking the wife out for some good Schezwan.

A post mortem told me that I forgot to change the limits on the gyro. I think they were set to something like 35 degrees for both banking and climb. Had I known what was happening and reacted fast enough, I would thrown the plane into the gyro off mode and I might have been able to save it.

View attachment 20230923_160537.jpg View attachment 20230923_160508.jpg

I did some surgery tonight I think I was able to save the patient. I went through the controller and made sure to go over every setting with a fine-tooth comb. In 6 axis mode, I set the limits to the same as my Arrow (90 degrees for all). I was going to try and paint it, but I think I like seeing the scars. Anyway... its all set. (fingers crossed)

View attachment 20230923_171908.jpg View attachment 20230923_171934.jpg

Last edited:

Crudnik

Wooo! I finally get to post here. I made a Slow Flyer v1.2 which was gliding just fine last night with all the electrical in place but today decided to be tail heavy with the same set up. I don’t know what went wrong.
I think I’ll switch to a simple soarer or tiny trainer for control practice while gliding