What did you crash today?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Wooo! I finally get to post here. I made a Slow Flyer v1.2 which was gliding just fine last night with all the electrical in place but today decided to be tail heavy with the same set up. I don’t know what went wrong.
I think I’ll switch to a simple soarer or tiny trainer for control practice while gliding
Were you gliding today or did you try power?

Burnhard

Maiden Flight of a 700mm F-86 that my wife gave me for my Birthday last year. I finally got around to building it and decided to fly it before the rains started this weekend. This one has no rudder and so its a "bank & yank. I put a Aura 5 Lite controller in it. I was a pain to get it to climb, but once I got it going up I started to turn and it was so slow. I tried to do a hard bank and pull back on the stick, but it just wanted to do a big lazy turn and hit the tree line. I collected my plane in shame, went home, and tried to forget about it while taking the wife out for some good Schezwan.

A post mortem told me that I forgot to change the limits on the gyro. I think they were set to something like 35 degrees for both banking and climb. Had I known what was happening and reacted fast enough, I would thrown the plane into the gyro off mode and I might have been able to save it.

View attachment 240164 View attachment 240165

I did some surgery tonight I think I was able to save the patient. I went through the controller and made sure to go over every setting with a fine-tooth comb. In 6 axis mode, I set the limits to the same as my Arrow (90 degrees for all). I was going to try and paint it, but I think I like seeing the scars. Anyway... its all set. (fingers crossed)

View attachment 240166 View attachment 240167
Nicely done. I also have an F86 with an
Aura 5. I am slowly experimenting with increasing the angles. Had it on 90 for the roll today. Have you tried above 90degrees? Would be nice to do rolls and loopings. I don‘t dare to fly it with the gyro off.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Gliding.
I had a tiny trainer set for gliding that worked just fine
I'm assuming control on and no settings changed - that's strange. I always check CG before every flight because I've got a bunch of different weight batteries. Might be something you will want to add to your preflight.

WillL84

Maiden Flight of a 700mm F-86 that my wife gave me for my Birthday last year. I finally got around to building it and decided to fly it before the rains started this weekend. This one has no rudder and so its a "bank & yank. I put a Aura 5 Lite controller in it. I was a pain to get it to climb, but once I got it going up I started to turn and it was so slow. I tried to do a hard bank and pull back on the stick, but it just wanted to do a big lazy turn and hit the tree line. I collected my plane in shame, went home, and tried to forget about it while taking the wife out for some good Schezwan.

A post mortem told me that I forgot to change the limits on the gyro. I think they were set to something like 35 degrees for both banking and climb. Had I known what was happening and reacted fast enough, I would thrown the plane into the gyro off mode and I might have been able to save it.

View attachment 240164 View attachment 240165

I did some surgery tonight I think I was able to save the patient. I went through the controller and made sure to go over every setting with a fine-tooth comb. In 6 axis mode, I set the limits to the same as my Arrow (90 degrees for all). I was going to try and paint it, but I think I like seeing the scars. Anyway... its all set. (fingers crossed)

View attachment 240166 View attachment 240167

This is like the stupid FT Airliner that I bought for my daughter. Elevator and differential thrust. SO HARD TO TURN. I've stuck that thing into trees so many times. Ended up buying a used UMX Sport Cub S and on beginner mode she's even a pro at flying that thing.

Robert S

Aura 5. I am slowly experimenting with increasing the angles. Had it on 90 for the roll today. Have you tried above 90degrees? Would be nice to do rolls and loopings. I don‘t dare to fly it with the gyro off.

My Arrow has it set to 180 in 6 axis mode think. I have not changed that Aura's programing for awhile so I don't remember. Most of the time I leave it in 3 axis mode, but sometimes I get a little crazy and its nice to be able to flip the switch, level the sticks, and let the plane sort itself out for a second.

Robert S

This is like the stupid FT Airliner that I bought for my daughter. Elevator and differential thrust. SO HARD TO TURN. I've stuck that thing into trees so many times. Ended up buying a used UMX Sport Cub S and on beginner mode she's even a pro at flying that thing.
That's my first EDF. No rudder, no flaps. It seems like it needs decent speed to stay aloft. When it was not banking and turning fast enough, I was instinctively also pushing hard over on the left stick and thinking to my self, "What the ****! Why is this thing not turning? I could see the trees coming and thinking, "its not going to make it and there is nothing I can do about it."

I came home bummed out, so me and my better half went to dinner. She said, "you should get another one. One that has the features you want." Well, I always told my Marines, "when you get the answer you are looking for... stop talking." So I went out and bought this...

View attachment 20230928_184333.jpg

I have not flown it yet because it hasn't stopped raining since I bought it but it should be dry this week end. I'm going to re-maiden the F-86 and then spend some time getting to know this one. Hopefully the next posts after this weekend will be in the "What did you fly today?" thread.

Last edited:

Robert S

Flew the F-86 and A-10 yesterday and today. Yesterday was great. The F-86 flies well enough. With no gyro assist, it tends to want to nose down more than I think it should (even with trim) so I need to address the CG. I printed off an enclosure for the Arura from thingiverse and I have the ESC zip tied a little further up then how it came from the factory berceuse it looked like it might be interfering with the piano wire for the elevators, so I'll add a little ballast somewhere in the rear and get things back to in the factory defined specs. I also need to go into Fusion and make some covers for the aileron servos. I noticed they tend to get very wet and pick up allot of grass upon landing. One last thing, I love the way it sounds. It has a very satisfying SHHHHHH sound that has a nice Doppler Shift as it zooms by.

View attachment 20231001_122754.jpg View attachment 20231001_122612.jpg

Yesterday, the UMX A-10 was great. Flies great slow and flies great fast. Its faster than I thought it would be and its very maneuverable just like the real thing. This morning, after I flew the F-86, I brought out the A-10 and had an issue. I was flying around in AS3X,did a barrel role, and right after I came out of the role, the plane rolled left and started into a down ward spiral. I flipped the switch into safe, but that didn't work. Nothing I did seemed to have any effect, so I backed off the throttle and watched as it spun int the ground. No idea what happened. The plane was completely unresponsive to the stick movements. And, even though I backed off the throttles, ( now that I think of it) I can't say that the throttles actually backed-off. This was all about 45 seconds after launch so I know the plane's battery was still good. The transmitter said it's batteries were still good too.

After it was on the tail gate of my truck, I put a new battery in the plane and the control surfaces all moved like they were supposed to. I have no idea what happened. I ordered a new fuselage. On the bright side, since I have to take it all apart anyway, I think its going to get a new paint job.

View attachment 20231001_122851.jpg

(Aura Cover: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4841958)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I crashed into our windsock pole on the near side of the runway, but was somehow able to recover and land with just a pole sized dent in the leading edge of the right wing.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hit a pole and still landed!?! I bow to you.
Hit a pole and kept FLYING! It yanked the plane a good 90 degrees to the left.
Thumb for scale on the leading edge. The pole our wind sock is on is roughly the size of a thumb.
IMG_20231001_195944849.jpg

Shurik-1960

EPP is a material that is easily treated for dents: boil a kettle and pour boiling water over the dent .A miracle will happen-the dent will evaporate. Fill the crack with glue .The repair is finished.
I thought: I'll fly by...But the pillar said : I won 't miss it .

Tench745

Master member
Yesterday, the UMX A-10 was great. Flies great slow and flies great fast. Its faster than I thought it would be and its very maneuverable just like the real thing. This morning, after I flew the F-86, I brought out the A-10 and had an issue. I was flying around in AS3X,did a barrel role, and right after I came out of the role, the plane rolled left and started into a down ward spiral. I flipped the switch into safe, but that didn't work. Nothing I did seemed to have any effect, so I backed off the throttle and watched as it spun int the ground. No idea what happened. The plane was completely unresponsive to the stick movements. And, even though I backed off the throttles, ( now that I think of it) I can't say that the throttles actually backed-off. This was all about 45 seconds after launch so I know the plane's battery was still good. The transmitter said it's batteries were still good too.

After it was on the tail gate of my truck, I put a new battery in the plane and the control surfaces all moved like they were supposed to. I have no idea what happened. I ordered a new fuselage. On the bright side, since I have to take it all apart anyway, I think its going to get a new paint job.

View attachment 240286

(Aura Cover: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4841958)
The A-10 sounds like it suffered the classic stall/spin. Exceeded the critical angle of attack, had some yaw in recovering from the roll, spin begins.

Robert S

The A-10 sounds like it suffered the classic stall/spin. Exceeded the critical angle of attack, had some yaw in recovering from the roll, spin begins.
Hmmm. So maybe I should have gunned the throttle instead of pulling back. I didn't want it to go out of control, fly off into where people were and/or and crash harder (ie faster) than it needed to so when it stopped responding I pulled back the throttle.

Its something to think about. Always learning.

Tench745

Master member
Hmmm. So maybe I should have gunned the throttle instead of pulling back. I didn't want it to go out of control, fly off into where people were and/or and crash harder (ie faster) than it needed to so when it stopped responding I pulled back the throttle.

Its something to think about. Always learning.
Power might have fixed it, but adding power doesn’t work with every plane and can make it worse. Typically, to recover a spin you relax the back pressure, stop the spin with rudder or differential thrust, then recover like a normal stall.

As an illustration of every plane being slightly different, I had a versa-wing spin in on me a couple times. There’s no rudder or differential thrust to stop the spin and adding power just flattened the spin and made it near unrecoverable. Instead I had to cut power, relax elevator pressure, and let the nose drop on its own to get the wing flying again and recover. This is not something you want to happen at low altitudes. 😆

randyrls

Randy
My 4 year old Explorer bit the dust. As I launched it, the firewall broke loose. The "C" motor was of course at full power. The prop proceeded to make confetti out of the tail boom and take a chunk out of one aileron. The wing can be salvaged but I need a new boom, fuseladge, and power pod. I will add skewer reinforcements to the new power pod

hankflies03

Crashed my very beat up simple scout today while inverted. It didn't have quite enough elevator throws for that 😞

Attachments

• IMG_20231102_160141948_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231102_160141948_HDR.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0