What Did You Fly Today

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I spent some time attempting to get the Spruce gosling flying...
IMG_20200404_180304008.jpg IMG_20200404_180256807.jpg

I also maidened my ft arrow rebuild, and the Burgess-Dunn flying wing. Both flew well. Tomorrow after some repairs, I may be able to try the Foamy Bird of Time.
IMG_20200405_024419554.jpg

daxian

Elite member

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I built a Cessna O-1 a while back, it easily could have flown if it was built by a competent planesmith, which I wasn't at the time. The airframe was airworthy but the battery I put in it was suited for a much larger plane.

IMG_20191105_204002.jpg

Needed paint.
I'm thinking about revisiting this in a more traditional FT style as an alternative to the Simple Cub, or any other Cub for that matter. ~36" wingspan, probably swappable on an FT B-pack. Really all I'd have to change from my original is the nose, and probably rubber band the wings on instead of glue. I can borrow the struts from the Commuter.
What do y'all think?

Cessna_O-1A_Bird_Dog_US_Army_in_flight.jpg
Honestly I love these little planes. In Vietnam they were used as FACs to direct artillery and airstrikes. The "Mekong Mauler" would circle a firefight and coordinate with ground troops to mark targets with WP or colored smoke rockets for the fast moving jets. Not a bad STOL platform either, whenever I get a plane I'll be looking for one of these.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I built a Cessna O-1 a while back, it easily could have flown if it was built by a competent planesmith, which I wasn't at the time. The airframe was airworthy but the battery I put in it was suited for a much larger plane.

View attachment 164604

Needed paint.
I'm thinking about revisiting this in a more traditional FT style as an alternative to the Simple Cub, or any other Cub for that matter. ~36" wingspan, probably swappable on an FT B-pack. Really all I'd have to change from my original is the nose, and probably rubber band the wings on instead of glue. I can borrow the struts from the Commuter.
What do y'all think?

View attachment 164609
Honestly I love these little planes. In Vietnam they were used as FACs to direct artillery and airstrikes. The "Mekong Mauler" would circle a firefight and coordinate with ground troops to mark targets with WP or colored smoke rockets for the fast moving jets. Not a bad STOL platform either, whenever I get a plane I'll be looking for one of these.
Build another - it really looks awesome!

Hoomi

Master member
What I did NOT fly today, since the majority of our RC club members are in the "High Risk" age group, and since my job is considered "Essential," meaning I'm still working a regular schedule, which increases my exposure. I'd rather forego the flying, and not risk the possibility that I might be carrying the virus already, and exposing the other club members to it.

However, that did not preclude me from setting up a "Hangar Photo" of all the currently assembled planes in my hangar. My coworker gave me his Versawing and Tiny Trainer SBKs to build, but I haven't started on them yet.

Stay safe, folks, whether you're having to remain hunkered down at home, or are still able to get out some.
Hangar04052020.jpg

Hangar04052020b.jpg

Figure9

Elite member
What I did NOT fly today, since the majority of our RC club members are in the "High Risk" age group, and since my job is considered "Essential," meaning I'm still working a regular schedule, which increases my exposure. I'd rather forego the flying, and not risk the possibility that I might be carrying the virus already, and exposing the other club members to it.

Stay safe, folks, whether you're having to remain hunkered down at home, or are still able to get out some.

Thank you @Hoomi for being one the many that are shouldering the risk that helps protect the high risk among us from exposure. You & yours, be well.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think I will. There's a few ways I can take this, specifically the nose. Should I do a basic Simple Cub nose, round it out a bit more into a bushwacker nose, maybe try something more like the Commuter? I like the rounded look on the FT Spitfire with the posterboard turtledeck, I might give that a try.
I personally am a big fan of the commuter style...

Namactual

Elite member
Getting a little better...
Trying to keep these new vids under 2 minutes.
Of course my camera battery died on the next flight which was even better. No worries though, I have plenty of time to fly now.

I am also working on a previous project.
I had to start from scratch as I threw out what I had built, but I already re-printed a new set of prints. I will post pics once I am caught back up again.

Legendary member
I personally am a big fan of the commuter style...
I was thinking about going with the spitfire style. I found this, it's not foamboard but that nose has exactly what I'm going for. Looking at it though I think it might be possible to do a bit of a blend of the two with a modified commuter nose on top and the spitfire on the bottom. I don't know how to describe it exactly, words are not my brain's first language.

maxresdefault.jpg

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I was thinking about going with the spitfire style. I found this, it's not foamboard but that nose has exactly what I'm going for. Looking at it though I think it might be possible to do a bit of a blend of the two with a modified commuter nose on top and the spitfire on the bottom. I don't know how to describe it exactly, words are not my brain's first language.

View attachment 164626
I like it! The bird dog is probably my favorite high wing. They have lots of balsa plans online you can use. You could use them to make a Master series style plane!

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
I've flown my X once but am anxious to throw the floats on it as well. Did you waterproof anything or just take your chances?

The plane is as-is other than the floats. The electronics (ESC, receiver) are mid mounted in the fuselage so it's very unlikely they'd ever get wet, being a totally foam plane, it is very buoyant and even the wing servos stayed above water when the wind gusted as I was turning into it during taxi back and flipped it right over. The motor and battery beeper got wet, but nothing else did.

Last edited:

Legendary member
I like it! The bird dog is probably my favorite high wing. They have lots of balsa plans online you can use. You could use them to make a Master series style plane!
It's one of my favorites too, maybe not my favorite high wing overall but definitely my favorite of it's size. I already made a master series version but I wanted to see if I could build a simpler one as an alternative to the Simple Cub. Incidentally enough I found a few simple balsa planes that I'm using for inspiration.

IMG_20191105_204002.jpg b3313717-e50a-471a-bd5c-d9c65453ade9.jpg

"Corpse"

Legendary member
It's one of my favorites too, maybe not my favorite high wing overall but definitely my favorite of it's size. I already made a master series version but I wanted to see if I could build a simpler one as an alternative to the Simple Cub. Incidentally enough I found a few simple balsa planes that I'm using for inspiration.

View attachment 164690 View attachment 164691
I love the MS plane! Do you have plans?

CheckMySix

I still love Flite Test and plan on building the Guinea Pig this summer when it gets to hot to fly (Phoenix) but.. Eflite has just been hitting the long ball lately! Just added the magnificent A10 1.1m duel 64mm EDF to the hanger. She is locked in and a real honey. Can get all of these in my 2016 Malibu too taking the wings off the A10 and F16 which is super easy! The F16 is so much fun as well. Best part, the A10 uses the same 6S batteries as the F16 so I'm set with the 4 I have. Check out the A10 if production planes are your thing as well. You won't be disappointed!

Attachments

• 20200406_082538.jpg
    20200406_082538.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0