What Did You Fly Today

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Tonight’s fleet! The bipes are my favorites!:love:
4BCAE04D-4B87-4303-95C7-BEEBDFDA0709.jpeg

L Edge

Master member
Here is what I had fun with today. Went to my boneyard, fix the dings with hot glue and tried a different prop and got my high alpha and twist drill action(holding it vertical). A different prop(APC 9 x 3/8) has improved it's performance and stability at the slow end.

This idea is an offshoot of my cylindrical tube that I first flew and wondered if 2 tubes(hence DoubleTrouble) would work.

JennyC6

Elite member

My Forster 29 came in so I decided to evaluate it on the test stand running glow ignition, since I don't have a coil or condensor for it yet. Factory stock, aside from the OS F plug and Omega 15. 10-6 prop. 10,000RPM and bloody terrifying to run with no throttle, but it runs really bloody good!

Once I've got it running off spark and methanol(Might actually feed it FAI, might keep it on Omega 15, haven't decided yet, but itt'l have to be glow fuel of some brew for a couple reasons) and I have it carburetted I'll get it mounted to something. And I'm strongly leaning towards the TaftHobby Flybaby. Those fly nicely on an OS LA25, they have the interwar looks to match this interwar(barely...) engine, and they shouldn't put it under too much stress. Lazing along at 1/3-1/2 throttle should be NBD. I do want to fly it, but I don't want to overwork it, as it is 80 years old.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Flew the new proto type PI SR-71 Blackbird today and I would call it successful. the cg has to be move back slightly as it felt tail heavy and I need to add a little expo to the elevators and maybe even tune them down slightly. Roll seemed good but pitch was touchy. Going against the wind the nose would go up and that didn't help landing because I came in soft but a little gust of wind came in and made it go vertical and it came down on it's butt, minor damage .

Wildthing

Legendary member
Got to finally maiden the Extreme Squirreltail, Short first flight because I needed to add more expo to the ailerons and it felt tail heavy, it was just doing some funny things.

So 2nd flight with extra expo and a little more nose weight the ending was quick :D . It just did this little death spiral and didn't want to come out of it and it did a basic @SquirrelTail post hole drilling. :D Still have the blue one :)