What Did You Fly Today

DazDaMan

Elite member
Gotta say, I do love flying at around 9pm, as the wind has usually dropped, there's still some light, it's not too warm, and I'm usually out there by myself!

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_213540_14CS.jpg
    IMG_20200529_213540_14CS.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200529_213909_17CS.jpg
    IMG_20200529_213909_17CS.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 0

speedbirdted

Legendary member
got around to flying this thing finally

P_20200530_103256.jpg

It actually flew really good! But my one piece of advice to everyone planning to build nitro planes is do the extra work to add an exhaust pressure line or else you and your engine will be sad. This plane doesn't have one, for some reason. I think I'm going to modify the exhaust stack to incorporate one soon enough...

slowjo

Master member
got around to flying this thing finally

View attachment 170398

It actually flew really good! But my one piece of advice to everyone planning to build nitro planes is do the extra work to add an exhaust pressure line or else you and your engine will be sad. This plane doesn't have one, for some reason. I think I'm going to modify the exhaust stack to incorporate one soon enough...
yes they like that pressure

Nighthawk74

Took out the Crack Yak 55 in too windy conditions. She wanted to nose up against the wind, but flew fantastic anyway. Twisted Hobbys just make the best 3D foamies. They may not be pretty to look at, but man do they fly well.

Tried flying the UMX P51D but it was just too windy for the micro. So retired her after one batt.

Attachments

• Crack Yak 55.jpg
    Crack Yak 55.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Video from the other day. I wanted to see if the CG was right because it felt tail heavy on the ground and wasn't sure whether the lifting tail would adequately compensate it, but it felt perfect so I just went for it. The deadstick wasn't because of crappy engine tuning (my original suspicion) but it was because it just ran out of fuel - the tank is only 2 ounces...

danskis

Master member
I maidened my modified FT22 today. I took all the undercarriage off and reduced the frontal area so it had less weight and less drag. I also used a KF airfoil. It flew great on the 2nd attempt. The blue thing in the second picture is my "crash nose" made from cardboard. I just wrapped it around the nose of the plane to protect the nose until I could get it dialed-in. I did need it on the first launch but the second launch it just flew out of my hand. I've decided I like simple planes that are easy to build like the F22, Versa and Arrow, Bloody Baron. You get a lot of payback for the time invested, they are easy to repair and they fly great. Sorry no video I'll work on that.
F22.jpg
Crash nose.jpg
Dorsal.jpg

Attachments

• F22.jpg
    F22.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I maidened my modified FT22 today. I took all the undercarriage off and reduced the frontal area so it had less weight and less drag. I also used a KF airfoil. It flew great on the 2nd attempt. The blue thing in the second picture is my "crash nose" made from cardboard. I just wrapped it around the nose of the plane to protect the nose until I could get it dialed-in. I did need it on the first launch but the second launch it just flew out of my hand. I've decided I like simple planes that are easy to build like the F22, Versa and Arrow. You get a lot of payback for the time invested, they are easy to repair and they fly great. Sorry no video I'll work on that. View attachment 170487 View attachment 170488 View attachment 170489
I really like the little fillets on the leading edge of the wing!!

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I maidened my modified FT22 today. I took all the undercarriage off and reduced the frontal area so it had less weight and less drag. I also used a KF airfoil. It flew great on the 2nd attempt. The blue thing in the second picture is my "crash nose" made from cardboard. I just wrapped it around the nose of the plane to protect the nose until I could get it dialed-in. I did need it on the first launch but the second launch it just flew out of my hand. I've decided I like simple planes that are easy to build like the F22, Versa and Arrow. You get a lot of payback for the time invested, they are easy to repair and they fly great. Sorry no video I'll work on that. View attachment 170487 View attachment 170488 View attachment 170489
Look at the throws on those elevons! 3D anyone?(y)

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
So, I've been slowly painting the ol P-39. Thought I'd take her out and run a battery or two through her before another light coat of paint. First one went off without a hitch. About a minute into the second flight it picked up a roll to the right but not bad. Instead of cutting the throttle and landing I trimmed it out and kept on keeping on for about 5 seconds then disaster struck. I lost elevator control and she did a couple of loops before I lost sight of it before hearing the crash behind one of the barns. I found it nestled between 4 grain wagons, and old livestock gate and the fence it's leaning against. I don't think I will be using these linkages anymore, the came loose even with a thread lock on them. Wish I'd noticed the puppy left me a surprise before I posted those pics, argh.
20200531_212531.jpg
20200531_212607.jpg
20200531_212545.jpg

Hoomi

Master member
Two flights on the Simple Scout, and one each on the Tiny Trainer, Air Hooterville, Mustang, Storch, and Bushwacker. Had to cut the Bushwacker flight short, as partway through the flight, it started banking left every time I brought the aileron stick back to center. It wasn't bad enough that I lost control, and I was able to land her safely. Turned out, the aileron servo on the left wing had come loose.

I picked up a GPS data logger a couple of weeks ago, and sent it up on Air Hooterville for a test. The Waco reached almost 55 MPH (not bad for a biplane), traveled 3.5 miles during its flight, and peaked at nearly 300 feet above the ground.

Last photo is the battery holders I rigged up for my field table. They're a pair of baskets designed to hold stuff in school lockers. I removed the magnetic tape from them, drilled a couple of holes, and connected them with small paracord. Easy to install and remove from the table, allows airflow over the batteries after the flights, and keeps them safely out of the way.
Hangar05312020.jpg

AirHootervilleFlightData.jpg

Batteryholder1.jpg