What Did You Fly Today

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Arrrrrgggghhhh.... Forgot to take the UMX Turbo Timber to the field. :( Did get a pack in on the Strix Stratosurfer (Ardupilot) and 2 packs through on the RMRC Nano Skyhunter (iNav). Had some really odd behavior with another iNav build where it just rolled right for no apparent reason. At least it didn't lock up, but did end up crashing on my last final approach. >sigh< Fortunately nothing that cant be fixed with Foam Tac, and this build is comprised of parts from two Nano Skyhunters that have been well stressed and crashed numerous times before.

Cheers!
LitterBug

shadeyB

Legendary member
Took my Superflanker out 😍 WOOHOOOOOOO
maiden flight today and wow fantastic, little bit high alpha practising to see how she is as thrust vectoring is Waaayyyyyyyy more responsive than I’m used to ☺️
some crazy flips also ahahaha need to remember what my thumbs are actually doing
she was flying about on 1/3 throttle with the odd push to half - oooft she’s quick and a quick punch while doing crazy flips lol
njoy
love her

another Maiden

how does your master series Spitfire sound 😍😍😍😍😍

Last edited:

DazDaMan

Elite member
Took the X-Twin out again today - only to let my MUM have a go!

She did OK, and didn't manage to lose the plane, although I almost did as it got caught in a thermal and quickly went up rather high! Got it back, though.

Not sure my mum is convinced enough to have another try, however!

Wildthing

Legendary member
I didn't feel like starting a new thread but here is a look at the inside of our new clubhouse. Electric shutters for all windows and patio door, led lighting, high efficiency electric furnace and a/c, vinyl covered walls and that new plastic laminate flooring which people have started to use in their houses. Large deck being built out front with a wheel chair ramp and it will be composite material used. Pretty slick.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Not a "flight" per se but it was pretty cool nonetheless. When I got this engine (it came with an airplane too) every square millimeter of it was coated with castor gunk and the guy said he never cleaned it even though it had a lot of runtime on it. After tearing it down and putting it through the ultrasonic cleaner I'd say it turned out pretty nice! Only part I had to replace was the head which had the plug threads stripped out. Fortunately my friend is a machinist's apprentice and he made me a new one. Cool guy!

This is on 20% S&W fuel which I put a touch of castor into because it's a really old engine. 8x4 propeller though this engine is probably happier on a 7x4. This engine already has quite a lot of time on it so peaking it out right away was probably fine. What you don't see here is me screwing with the carb for 20 minutes before I finally got it to idle down below like 4-5k rpm, and it sits happily at 2.5-3k now - Perry carbs are fine on bigger engines but on this it's just a no. I really don't know what their idea was with the weird, overly sensitive disk LSN they have here. The HSN is a little confusing too as it rotates with the carburetor barrel, but most of the time you only adjust it at full throttle so it isn't too bad. Surprisingly this is not using an idle bar plug even though I was pretty sure it would need one. I had to guess as to what to set the HSN at to start with and I got it totally wrong - you can see how rich I had it started at!

Here's the very weird, very old airplane it goes onto. According to the little placard on it it was built in 1999 (and the guy that built it is currently in his nineties and has a three-digit AMA number) It's held together very well - pretty much all I did was clean it and fix a little bit of tail damage it had. Just needs a reciever and a battery and I'll be airing it out soon enough!

P_20200527_152611.jpg

OliverW

Legendary member
Not a "flight" per se but it was pretty cool nonetheless. When I got this engine (it came with an airplane too) every square millimeter of it was coated with castor gunk and the guy said he never cleaned it even though it had a lot of runtime on it. After tearing it down and putting it through the ultrasonic cleaner I'd say it turned out pretty nice! Only part I had to replace was the head which had the plug threads stripped out. Fortunately my friend is a machinist's apprentice and he made me a new one. Cool guy!

This is on 20% S&W fuel which I put a touch of castor into because it's a really old engine. 8x4 propeller though this engine is probably happier on a 7x4. This engine already has quite a lot of time on it so peaking it out right away was probably fine. What you don't see here is me screwing with the carb for 20 minutes before I finally got it to idle down below like 4-5k rpm, and it sits happily at 2.5-3k now - Perry carbs are fine on bigger engines but on this it's just a no. I really don't know what their idea was with the weird, overly sensitive disk LSN they have here. The HSN is a little confusing too as it rotates with the carburetor barrel, but most of the time you only adjust it at full throttle so it isn't too bad. Surprisingly this is not using an idle bar plug even though I was pretty sure it would need one. I had to guess as to what to set the HSN at to start with and I got it totally wrong - you can see how rich I had it started at!

Here's the very weird, very old airplane it goes onto. According to the little placard on it it was built in 1999 (and the guy that built it is currently in his nineties and has a three-digit AMA number) It's held together very well - pretty much all I did was clean it and fix a little bit of tail damage it had. Just needs a reciever and a battery and I'll be airing it out soon enough!

View attachment 170128
That plane has some long legs tbh

"Corpse"

Legendary member

View attachment 170128
Looks like the thumbnail for Alex's longest landing gear challenge! LOL

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
Took my Superflanker out 😍 WOOHOOOOOOO
maiden flight today and wow fantastic, little bit high alpha practising to see how she is as thrust vectoring is Waaayyyyyyyy more responsive than I’m used to ☺️
some crazy flips also ahahaha need to remember what my thumbs are actually doing
she was flying about on 1/3 throttle with the odd push to half - oooft she’s quick and a quick punch while doing crazy flips lol
njoy
love her

another Maiden

how does your master series Spitfire sound 😍😍😍😍😍

That superflanker was SICK!!!

shadeyB

Legendary member
That superflanker was SICK!!!
lol Camera man did great for little hand held recorder
thanks Mr Gandalf
took 2 weeks to build, wire, paint, 2 pre maidens including 2 crashes, changed out home made TV system for a FT set 👍 (fantastic product)
thinking of hooking up rudders now ? Maybe activate the canards ?
dam she’s a handful of fun She weighs just 2&1/2lbs and has over 9lbs thrust 😊😁💀

taking her back out tomorrow for round 2 and need to try mount camera on her for evidence lol

Dulinsky

Maiden flight of my Guinea Pig today. Using a 4000ma 3S battery. After 5 minutes of flight, varied, some mild aerobatics, a hover, etc., it was only down to 70%. Used differential thrust to maneuver on the ground. Might change nose wheel to something else but flew great! Anxious to go fly it again. (Wasn't able to load video as it was the wrong extension (MP4)).
20200524_204842.jpg

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Took the P-39 from @Grifflyer out for a quick maiden tonight. It's gonna be a fun one to play with for sure, many thanks to him for the desing and plans. One thing though. I thought he said it's a docile machine? With a FT F pack radial, an APC 6X4E prop, and a 3s 850mah battery that thing rips. I put it up full throttle gave it a toss, thought oh crap and held on for a wild start to my flight full of trees, barns, and grain bins oh my. She flew perfect, I had the balance just right and no trim was needed on anything. At about half throttle ish it floats right along, at 3/4 it has plenty of oomph for aerobatics, and full throttle just hold on.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Took the P-39 from @Grifflyer out for a quick maiden tonight. It's gonna be a fun one to play with for sure, many thanks to him for the desing and plans. One thing though. I thought he said it's a docile machine? With a FT F pack radial, an APC 6X4E prop, and a 3s 850mah battery that thing rips. I put it up full throttle gave it a toss, thought oh crap and held on for a wild start to my flight full of trees, barns, and grain bins oh my. She flew perfect, I had the balance just right and no trim was needed on anything. At about half throttle ish it floats right along, at 3/4 it has plenty of oomph for aerobatics, and full throttle just hold on.
Congrats!! So glad you're having fun with it!! I guess I should have elaborated in my description of the model. It's docile until you punch it lol.