What Did You Fly Today

JennyC6

Elite member
My Scorpion XXL kit is in! Not much flyin' happening down here for a while with that hurricane in the gulf(It's gonna be rainy stormy and breezy pretty much constantly for the next couple weeks) so I'm focusing on cars in the interim. Still waiting on a big order to come in for completing the Scorpion XXL, then I need to get some decent internet and figure out a camera setup because I want to try to livestream building the car starting with opening the first parts bag and ending with the car doing massive donuts in the driveway.

It will be built nitro. I already have an engine on hand to go into it and may very well have *two* candidate engines by the time I actually put it together. One engine is a KE-25 that would have been put in the car in the factory if it were a ready to run, and one is a Dynamite Mach 26 with some time on it that has a viable top end but needed main bearings; have replacements on order.

Also ordered some FPV gear for it but I don't know if that'll be in for the main build or not. If it is, I'll install it on stream too.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Did a couple flights before the combat wars, tried it with the APC Sport 11x5 prop instead of the APC 11x7 thin electric prop. Just trying to go slightly down in prop to take some load off the motor. It was pretty windy out but against the wind at 1/2 throttle it really seemed to lack that extra pull but I didn't want to push it to hard, sounded like it was out of balance slightly so I will give it another go once balanced. It still flew good overall though.

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
Ha! I used to race Q500 and Club 40 but eventually quit after smashing too many airplanes. Been thinking of getting back into the latter lately, though I sold all my stuff for it so I'd need to get more airplanes...

Why don't you see if someone who races knows of someone that is dropping out or someone that has old planes they are not racing with (especially the engines) and start off with that equipment to see what happens. I picked up a Formula I( it was dinged slightly) and a engine that wasn't top rpm's for $50 that allowed up to practice the circuit at about 170mph.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Why don't you see if someone who races knows of someone that is dropping out or someone that has old planes they are not racing with (especially the engines) and start off with that equipment to see what happens. I picked up a Formula I( it was dinged slightly) and a engine that wasn't top rpm's for $50 that allowed up to practice the circuit at about 170mph.
Well if I get those guys to build me the spec plane one our members that flies both classes said he has the old Webra motor he raced with and said it's in good condition and he will just give it to me :) .

DazDaMan

Elite member
The weather here has been horrendous the past couple of days, but it calmed down enough later on this afternoon to allow me to get out in the field and fly for a little - first off, the Spitfire, then the Corsair, and finally the Mustang. I surprised myself by throwing in a loop with the Spit - I don't normally do aerobatics with it, as it needs a lot of height to get the speed up for a roll, and definitely needs it for a loop!

I only got video of the Spitfire, though, as the battery in my camera died!

Attachments

• Snapshot 1 (26-08-2020 23-26).png
    Snapshot 1 (26-08-2020 23-26).png
    223.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Warbirds5.jpg
    Warbirds5.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0

JennyC6

Elite member
Spent about 7.5hrs o so crunching on a kit!

20200826_193650.jpg

45 minutes more work and I could have had it brapping but A: the sun set on me quite literally and B: I'm missing a part in the carb that is kind of important if I want it to run at any semblance of practicality below half throttle. The part is on order but I don't know when it will be in.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Didn't personally fly anything today but there was a guy at the field who had a model of the Spaceballs Winnebago :ROFLMAO:

P_20200826_081543.jpg

I wouldn't call it flying, more of a slow-motion controlled crash. The thing has no yaw stability whatsoever, it's purely from differential thrust. I think the longest flight he managed was like 45 seconds, the entire time spent with 99% of the focus on the rudder stick to stop the thing from just instant flatspinning :ROFLMAO:

JennyC6

Elite member
Didn't personally fly anything today but there was a guy at the field who had a model of the Spaceballs Winnebago :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 177937

I wouldn't call it flying, more of a slow-motion controlled crash. The thing has no yaw stability whatsoever, it's purely from differential thrust. I think the longest flight he managed was like 45 seconds, the entire time spent with 99% of the focus on the rudder stick to stop the thing from just instant flatspinning :ROFLMAO:
been seeing in-progress shots on the ftfans FB of that thing.

Also, I spy a vintage pint can of COX fuel. Wonder if it had its contents in it still.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
been seeing in-progress shots on the ftfans FB of that thing.

Also, I spy a vintage pint can of COX fuel. Wonder if it had its contents in it still.
It does! I've been just refilling it with Fitz 1/2A fuel since I like the look of the old can. I have another, still with the original fuel, with the price tag on the back saying 1983. I don't dare try to run it through anything, but I can't spy a hint of water contamination and the few little samples I took of it don't have little flakes of crud floating around in them, so it would probably be fine even if I did. They really knew how to seal bottles back in the day.

"Corpse"

Legendary member

View attachment 177937

Maybe tell him to put an FC in it! I'd love to see that thing fly!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well yesterday before combat wars I earned my A Wings because it came up in conversation that I didn't have any wing certification so quickly before the combat wars started he said let's go do it now and with almost zero practice I passed. Today without notice Rick one of the members said let's practice now for the B Wings so he went through it with me a few times and then said go practice for it. After I did a couple test runs he comes up and says let's do the test. I had to use my Sturmovick IL2M3 because the foam was cracking just before the motor mount on the Extreme, it really flies solid but isn't that agile but I said lets do it. Perfect score is 54 and to pass you only need 36 and I came home with a score of 50. Now to work on the C Wings :D

I had balanced the prop but it was still noisy so I knew something wasn't right so it was parked for the day. I have to do a little surgery on the Extreme so I can remount the motor mount , I would like to use it for practicing.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The Bloody Baron now has 8 full batts through it, it officially gets ACE status. I went to the LHS yesterday and took my TX and Baron to see if the was anything I could do to trouble shoot the cut out issue i am having. I think I have that figured out and have stuff on the way in the mail. New Rx, FrSky IA6B. Gonna try a different protocol, I have given DSM a good run. In the same order i have a couple of external BEC's and a new Skywalker ESC to try as well. Hopefully something comes out of this... fingers crossed

JennyC6

Elite member
It does! I've been just refilling it with Fitz 1/2A fuel since I like the look of the old can. I have another, still with the original fuel, with the price tag on the back saying 1983. I don't dare try to run it through anything, but I can't spy a hint of water contamination and the few little samples I took of it don't have little flakes of crud floating around in them, so it would probably be fine even if I did. They really knew how to seal bottles back in the day.
As long as there's no rust holes in the can I can with 100% certainty say that vintage fuel is still viable. Metal cans are impermeable; fuel in them keeps basically indefinitely. Might seperate out a bit but shaking it solves that. The plastic jugs modern fuel comes in? IT is permeable and water can eventually get in there, though even they have pretty good shelf lives; I found a quarter of a gallon of Blue Thunder 20% that I haven't run in over a decade and my engines didn't seem to care. Burned it just fine. Higher oil content than my usual car fuel so they were smokier and down on power a scoch but they started, idled, transitioned fine, had good power, never quit on me. Viable fuel!

Fitz Fuel is good stuff, so is SIG's stuff. I've used both and my COX engines loved both just fine.

OliverW

Legendary member

View attachment 177937

I thought i saw you in his Facebook posts on it. I was like oi that guy looks familiar

bwarz

Master member
The one thing i know is that even though i got it trimmed in at half throttle as soon as i start putting the coals to it, it will want to seriously balloon up....

I am still quite the novice here, but was working on the mini PT17 and having the same thing, but it was REAL touchy wanting to climb hard on much throttle at all - reading about not enough downward pitch angle seems to be the culprit (can someone in-the-know maybe weigh in here?) Would adding in controls to compensate just add drag when you throttle up? Add a tiny shim or washer at the top of the motor and try again?

Love reading your project posts @BATTLEAXE btw, and love the creativity you put into your paint!