What Did You Fly Today

L Edge

Master member
Well if I get those guys to build me the spec plane one our members that flies both classes said he has the old Webra motor he raced with and said it's in good condition and he will just give it to me :) .

Being in competition in pattern, pylon and helis, I have found that the pylon group is the most friendly, helpful and jovial group and will help you in any way. At competitions, if you crash, all hands on deck will physically help you put it back together, even donating parts that you can keep.
Heck, when I told the guys that my 11 year old was going for the big stuff, he ended up getting free 2 Formula 1 planes and one very good engine because they knew he was good to go.
Get to know these guys, and pick their brains on how to "break engines in". You can do it the quick way and get maybe 30-40 flights until it becomes "not worthy" or do it the slow way where you can get 100"s of runs with the same engine. Chatting with the World Champion says he can get 200-250 runs with the same engine with a proper breakin.

Here is an antique Formula 1 40 size that chugs down 12 oz of 65% nitro in about 1 min 30 sec turning 21,600. Notice there is no muffler and no "throttle", so if you leave the ground, lean on mixture, your engine guts will be nothing but chunks. Ask me how I know. Due to 145 decibels of the engine, club fields being close to houses causing excessive noise, killed the sport.

F1.jpg

Wildthing

Legendary member
Being in competition in pattern, pylon and helis, I have found that the pylon group is the most friendly, helpful and jovial group and will help you in any way. At competitions, if you crash, all hands on deck will physically help you put it back together, even donating parts that you can keep.
Heck, when I told the guys that my 11 year old was going for the big stuff, he ended up getting free 2 Formula 1 planes and one very good engine because they knew he was good to go.
Get to know these guys, and pick their brains on how to "break engines in". You can do it the quick way and get maybe 30-40 flights until it becomes "not worthy" or do it the slow way where you can get 100"s of runs with the same engine. Chatting with the World Champion says he can get 200-250 runs with the same engine with a proper breakin.

Here is an antique Formula 1 40 size that chugs down 12 oz of 65% nitro in about 1 min 30 sec turning 21,600. Notice there is no muffler and no "throttle", so if you leave the ground, lean on mixture, your engine guts will be nothing but chunks. Ask me how I know. Due to 145 decibels of the engine, club fields being close to houses causing excessive noise, killed the sport.

View attachment 178053
I don't think they run much or if any nitro anymore. Years ago an retired racer said they ran a high percentage and they would blow up engines constantly .

JennyC6

Elite member
I built an engine today! Homey in a discord had tossed a presumed-toast Dynamite Mach 26 at me, turned out the main bearings were just siezed. New bearings came in today so it went back together.

20200828_143319.jpg

If you want to know what fun is, try fixing one of these pull starters. When I got the engine it had been removed, wrapped with cellotape, and it had percolated through USPS' network from Portland, OR to east of Nashville, TN that way. Needless to say things got jossled around and the spring tangled up in itself in transit. Nothing damaged though, so I just had to get it re-wound.

I've since adjusted the cord itself in the t-handle; engine's ready for fuel. I need a car to put it in now! Gee, it's almost as if RC cars and RC planes aren't all that different hahahaha

I might just put it in a drag car. There's a brap-friendly noprep meet 20-odd minutes from me hosting a test-and-tune on the 5th of September and I'ma take a bunch of my runners down there. If I find it fun to run the scale quarter I'll probably shoehorn this Mach 26 into an RJ Speed drag car of some sort. Might go full hog on it, run a top fuel rail? Pro stock? Funny car? Gasser? They have options!

Hurricane Laura is busy making it rain upwards in my area right now so no chance of flying.

View attachment 178053
Mmmm, she's purdy. And 65% fuel...jeezlus that's a hot brew.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Couple little flights today but called it quits as the wind kept getting stronger as the day went on. Tested the Extreme with just a 10x6 APC thin electric prop, does really well even though it is less thrust then with a 11x7 but battery and motor are both cooler now.

speedbirdted

Legendary member

View attachment 178053
OS 40 VR-P? I had one of those ages ago, came with a huge tuned pipe and all. Bench ran it just for giggles and my hearing still hasn't recovered. I didn't dare fly it, I wouldn't be able to keep up with it. Hell even racing Q500 I crashed a lot and that's going 50 mph slower.

mdcerdan

Elite member
Today I had my first FPV experience. I mounted a DJI AVL58 video TX and a Gopro H2 in my 1.5m trainer and a 9" LCD screen on the ground. In the ground I had a few glitches with the receiver (still fly 72Mhz on this model). I made a few flights anyway but in the end I lost signal and crash. Stripped a servo gear and a broken prop, nothing else to the airframe luckily.

index.jpg

Last edited:

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
I built an engine today! Homey in a discord had tossed a presumed-toast Dynamite Mach 26 at me, turned out the main bearings were just siezed. New bearings came in today so it went back together.

20200828_143319.jpg

If you want to know what fun is, try fixing one of these pull starters. When I got the engine it had been removed, wrapped with cellotape, and it had percolated through USPS' network from Portland, OR to east of Nashville, TN that way. Needless to say things got jossled around and the spring tangled up in itself in transit. Nothing damaged though, so I just had to get it re-wound.

I've since adjusted the cord itself in the t-handle; engine's ready for fuel. I need a car to put it in now! Gee, it's almost as if RC cars and RC planes aren't all that different hahahaha

I might just put it in a drag car. There's a brap-friendly noprep meet 20-odd minutes from me hosting a test-and-tune on the 5th of September and I'ma take a bunch of my runners down there. If I find it fun to run the scale quarter I'll probably shoehorn this Mach 26 into an RJ Speed drag car of some sort. Might go full hog on it, run a top fuel rail? Pro stock? Funny car? Gasser? They have options!

Hurricane Laura is busy making it rain upwards in my area right now so no chance of flying.

20200828_143319.jpg

How many times did that dinky little recoil spring get the upper hand before you triumphed?

JennyC6

Elite member
How many times did that dinky little recoil spring get the upper hand before you triumphed?
Only two or three. I hate having to open up a starter because those springs can be such a PITA, but I kinda had no other option given the problem with the starter was the spring itself. It had managed to come dislodged from the rope drum and then cross over itself awkwardly while the engine was in the mail to me. The rope drum was forced proud and, when bolted to the engine, it bound up severely.

The trick was to use needlenose pliers to hold it coiled as I got it slid down into the starter housing. Dynamite used a hook design on the end of the spring that had no problem latching in, both at the rope drum and at the case anchor ends. I lost about 4 inches of pull length but that's NBD.

Hoomi

Master member
Today I had my first FPV experience. I mounted a DJI AVL58 video TX and a Gopro H2 in my 1.5m trainer and a 9" LCD screen on the ground. In the ground I had a few glitches with the receiver (still fly 72Mhz on this model). I made a few flights anyway but in the end I lost signal and crash. Stripped a servo gear and a broken prop, nothing else to the airframe luckily.

View attachment 178078
As inexpensive as the new digital radio systems are, I'm surprised you haven't upgraded already.