What Did You Fly Today

JennyC6

Elite member
Doodled up a basic design for a custom car to put that Mach 26 engine in:

unknown.png

I already have a useable front end so all I'd need is a skookum-as-frig crawler axle for the back, a 3mm aluminum plate to make the chassis out of, some shocks, wheels, tires, and a clutch bell with a drive cup for an output.

I'm thinking a no-prep drag car, but if I stiffened it up a bit and put an intermediate gear reduction in the driveline I could probably get a pretty boss 2WD trophy truck out of it too.

FrankFly

Maidened (as opposed to "flew") Grifflyer's Shrubsmacker this morning. One of my best looking builds. But my most unsuccessful flyer to date.

Each attempt resulted in a take off roll turning hard right, quick take-off, roll to the right, and nose verticle into the ground. I will say this is my most durable foamboard plane ever, as it suffered very light damage. I had made the power pod of 5mm Borden's foamboard. The forward skewer did eventually break.

Factors:
-Motor/prop direction was normal. CCW viewed from front shaft.
-Wind was 8-10 at about a 30° left cross.
- CG seemed right on with a 850 mAh 3S battery jammed between the battery tray and "windshield".
- My first build not using a Lemon_rx. So no gyro assist.
- All control surfaces going the right directions.

I'm thinking, remake the power pod with no right offset.
Possibly slicing the wing on top centerline and gluing some dihedral into the wing.
Trying to hold it on the ground longer to build up more speed before take off.
Cannibalising a lemon-rx from another plane and using autolevel to sort this out.
Flying on a calmer day.

Looking for advice here.

Attachments

• 0827201915a.jpg
    0827201915a.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 0827201915d.jpg
    0827201915d.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I wanted to try out FPV quads... but didn't want to drop a bunch of $ on it until I was sure one way or the other. So, I 'ducktaped' an AIO camera thing onto a small toy quad I have had for a few years and tried it out.

it is rather interesting, however the quad itself is annoying to control (same issues LOS flying, the vertical control is poor and sometimes, but not always trying to yaw or other, can make it start to drop).. it can only do angle mode.

All said, it was rather intresting... but I need a bigger space to try it out then my house.

ducktapeQuad.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Maidened (as opposed to "flew") Grifflyer's Shrubsmacker this morning. One of my best looking builds. But my most unsuccessful flyer to date.

Each attempt resulted in a take off roll turning hard right, quick take-off, roll to the right, and nose verticle into the ground. I will say this is my most durable foamboard plane ever, as it suffered very light damage. I had made the power pod of 5mm Borden's foamboard. The forward skewer did eventually break.

Factors:
- CG seemed right on with a 850 mAh 3S battery jammed between the battery tray and "windshield".

Possibly slicing the wing on top centerline and gluing some dihedral into the wing.
Cannibalising a lemon-rx from another plane and using autolevel to sort this out.
Flying on a calmer day.

Looking for advice here.
I had a Shrubby at one point still stuck in a tree and i did put some dihedral into it and it flew so effortlessly, no gyro. The gyro may just complicate things. I did have signal trouble with mine, gear related, nothing to do with the plane. But when it lost signal it was so well balanced that it would glide straight for days lost 50 feet up in a spruce across the ravine

I would say you biggest two factors were trying to lift off under powered and to low speed plus the angled cross wind didn't help. Maybe try moving the CG back as well, helped on my Kitfox that was doing the same thing. Something to eliminate anyway

Beautiful plane BTW

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

Factors:

Flying on a calmer day.

Looking for advice here.
So it sounds like you took off too soon without enough airspeed and it stalled into the ground. The crosswind wouldn't of helped. That's a great looking build sorry it isn't working yet.

FrankFly

So it sounds like you took off too soon without enough airspeed and it stalled into the ground. The crosswind wouldn't of helped. That's a great looking build sorry it isn't working yet.

Thank you. That's what I'm leaning toward. The left crosswind probably flipped it to the right. If it were from motor torque it would have rolled left.

Plus it turns hard right on take-off roll. In fact on one take-off it veered 90 right, hit my Mini-Scout parked at the edge of the "runway" and broke it's vertical stabilizer. Since I need to replace the power pod (I cut out 4 while I was making the plane) I'm going to turn one around for no offset on the motor. And maybe turn up the rudder authority.

Thanks for the compliment. You provided a good design. Tougher than any of my other planes.

Last edited:

FrankFly

I had a Shrubby at one point still stuck in a tree and i did put some dihedral into it and it flew so effortlessly, no gyro. The gyro may just complicate things. I did have signal trouble with mine, gear related, nothing to do with the plane. But when it lost signal it was so well balanced that it would glide straight for days lost 50 feet up in a spruce across the ravine

I would say you biggest two factors were trying to lift off under powered and to low speed plus the angled cross wind didn't help. Maybe try moving the CG back as well, helped on my Kitfox that was doing the same thing. Something to eliminate anyway

Beautiful plane BTW

Thanks so much for the compliment. I call this plane "Scrappy" because it's made from scraps left from other builds. Four brands of foamboard, actually. Is'nt that the spirit of Flite Test?

I guess I'm fortunate that I didn't lose it in a tree. Actually, it never made it that far.

I'm going to try to hold it on the runway next try and I'll play with the CG. Thanks for the pointers.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My day was not that spectacular but it was good I suppose.

I flew and damaged my HK Reaktor, (the wing broke loose and I did not notice. It made the 3D experience different! I introduced another club member to the joys of ripping up the air with the old KFM wing.

Then I traded the green surface for the blue and took the Otter, (version 2), up for a few laps and many landings. As I fly off salt water the learning curve is a little steep! Yesterday I lost a receiver and last week I lost an ESC. The receiver is now able to sit in salt water all day without an issue but the ESC and Servos are a different thing!

When I solve the issues I will post a thread on flying off salt safely, (for the electronics that is). Most club members do not fly from the wet stuff so I am eyeing off the AP KWAK and may build a few using different glues to see which is best and sealing the bird at first pass. The Otter seems to allow the water to seep in somehow!

The number and variety of seaplanes or float planes is actually poor and yet 75% of the earth is covered in water:unsure:. Also the vast majority of the water is free from government drone regulations:p.

Have fun!

L Edge

Master member
I don't think they run much or if any nitro anymore. Years ago an retired racer said they ran a high percentage and they would blow up engines constantly .

65% nitro was killed off due to high noise levels and the outrageous cost per gallon. DB level was 145 and one time my ear protection fell off and I endured pain in my ears till we shut off the engine. An engine needs about +20% oil to function, hence as the fuel level lowers in the tank, head pressure increases to suck it out of the tank and if you start tune is learn, and putting max nitro in it, it will blow up in flight at some point.
Racing is what it is all about, same plane specs, so the only 3 variables are your flying skills, right prop, and the tuning of your engine. You don't win races if you are not on the edge.

L Edge

Master member
OS 40 VR-P? I had one of those ages ago, came with a huge tuned pipe and all. Bench ran it just for giggles and my hearing still hasn't recovered. I didn't dare fly it, I wouldn't be able to keep up with it. Hell even racing Q500 I crashed a lot and that's going 50 mph slower.

Every so often there would be a mid air, foam, fiberglass, would come fluttering down and the engine would usually not be found due to going so fast.

Most amazing was a plane (72 freq) get hit and the Formula 1 topped 2 pine trees about 2' in dia and we saw the first one slice cleanly and the top fell down, the second one, the wing went thru most of the tree top , exploded and the tree top leaned over, hanging.
At the Nats, flyer forgot to turn on receiver, plane takes off after guy releases it, climbs and rolls by itself, and then spirals almost straight down and hits concrete where motor puts a 1 3/4" hole about 2 inches in diameter. It is a death weapon in the hands of a person that can't stay ahead of it.

JennyC6

Elite member

Doin' some more work on my Evader BX Nitro restomod. Because they didn't have slide carb car engines when this thing was originally made, the stock throttle/brake servo won't work without a really complicated linkage setup...so why not just chooch an FT 9g onto the side of the fuel tank and do some wizardry in my radio instead?

As added bonuses, I can set this carb up like a plane vis-a-vis idle speed. I have throttle cut. I have cruise control. I can adjust the idle from the Tx whenever I want.

All I need now? A proper receiver battery setup(I hate to do it but I may not have a choice with this car; it came stock with a 4s AA holder hanging off the rear tower and, as much as I hate using them, I might just throw a 2s1900 LiFE hump pack in that box), get the rear wheels spaced out(They rub the shocks; parts in transit), get a throttle return spring on it(I don't forsee it yeeting off the carb but I'm covering my vintage-nitro-car-lovin' arse just in case it does), and then it's time to break in the engine.

It's gonna be a monster. This is way too much power for the car. Just the way I like it!

The Scorpion is still waiting on parts. Shock oil comes in tomorrow; if I'm really impatient I can rob the venturi from my Mad Crusher and take it for a rip once the shocks are filled as both cars share the same engine. I have one on order but it's gotta percolate through customs and I have NFC how long that will take...