What Did You Fly Today

Hoomi

Master member
Two flights each on the Tiny Trainer and the Stinger. One flight each on the Waco, Mustang, and Scout. Firewall was loose on the Versawing, so she didn't make it into the air today. Maiden flight on the Freewing Rebel, albeit with a rather ugly landing. Photo from in-flight on the Rebel, and a post-maiden on the table.

Hangar08302020.jpg

RebelMaidenView.jpg

RebelPostMaiden.jpg

FrankFly

HAH! Happened to me all the time. Every single time i did a loop with my old TT something would fly off most of the time it was the prop but I ejected the battery and tore off the wing a few times too.

Been there. The woods have eaten batteries from my Tiny Trainer and Scout. So hard to find those batteries in the tall grass. Plus the effect on the CG and loss of all thrust and control results in a nearby and thankfully soft landing. I've also had some batteries fall loose from the velcro and dangle below the plane until I can bring them around and land them. I haven't had the problem since looping a rubber band around the skewers and across the batteries.

And, I've had wings fold/break, usually at the root, on my original Tiny Trainer and all 3 of the Mini-Scouts I've built. Even the most recent one where I glued a (thin) skewer across the wing. Now I glue a thicker skewer in front of the spars on all my builds.
0127201313[1].jpg
First Mini-Scout. 3-channel.
0410201349[1].jpg
Second Mini-Scout. 4 channel. Made each wing 1" longer because of the servos. Skewers underneath but they joined in the middle and the wing still folded so I added the Popsicle stick on top. Fantastic flyer both fast and slow.
41098[1].jpeg
This skewer was continuous through the wing but it snapped. Added a thicker skewer parallel and a top popsicle stick. Note the strapping tape which didn't seem to add any breakage resistance.
0830201604[1].jpg
Original 4-channel Tiny Trainer. Wing has folded twice. Popsicle stick spar-reinforcers do the trick and it still (barely) flies despite all the weight. Note the piece of foam in the center-wing uses the rubber bands to press down and keep that traditional fold from allowing the wing to tip up in the back.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Last time I flew this plane I got 50 minutes off of a 3500 3s battery. This time I tried it with 2x 2200 3s wired in parallel. I thought it would be too much nose weight but it actually felt fine.

Now imagine cruising around in big circles for an hour and a half waiting for the battery to die. Sounds pretty boring right? Well, yeah it is. I also got eaten by mosquitoes for most of it. The reason I do these kinds of endurance flights in the winter is for pretty much that exact reason and also the increased air density makes the plane fly much better. If I try this again in the winter maybe I can crack 2 hours?

P_20200830_185416.jpg

A little video from that flight. This is near the end, with the battery running pretty low. Even with all the batteries in it, it's still slow as hell lol

JennyC6

Elite member

I was given this engine totally for free. Thing had been written off as junk. All it needed was main bearings and a carb reset; still using the plug it had when I got it even!

Carb's set stupid rich and I can't do anything about that without a car to mount it in. It doesn't fit in my Scorpion(Though with some dremelling of the head I could get it in there...) and my Mad Crusher doesn't need an engine. Hmmm.......

Hoomi

Master member
Do you fly all your planes off tactic?
Yep. Only plane I have that's not on the Tactic radio, is the F-22 that I haven't flown yet. I put the radio that originally came with the Dynam Waco into that, as it has a built-in gyro, and the receiver is smaller than the Tactic receivers.

I'm considering sometime in the near future, upgrading all the EDF planes to a system that has telemetry feedback to the TX, so I can have an active battery monitor on the plane. If I'd known I had sufficient battery for another go-around today with the Rebel, I might have skipped the ugly landing.

Or, I might have crashed horribly, but...

DazDaMan

Elite member
Managed to fly the Mustang, Corsair and Sukhoi yesterday. I heard some guys in the club actually discussing buying a couple of mini warbirds for themselves!

I also got a new Spitfire on Saturday. This one is a replacement from the manufacturer, as my first one has a weird electrical issue that they've never encountered before. I flew the new one this morning and, apart from being a little tail-heavy, she was fine! Video incoming.