What Did You Fly Today

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I got around to maidening the LA racer today. The wind was pretty stiff, but pylon planes don't really care because the wing loading is on the higher side usually. This thing required a lot of trimming, and initially I thought I had the CG wrong or something (I added 4 ounces to the nose, and on the CG stand it checked out fine :rolleyes:) but it was actually because somehow all my subtrims got deleted in the radio so the control surfaces were out of whack to start with. I was pretty surprised when I landed and all the control surfaces were perfectly straight, despite me adding like 80 clicks of rudder and maxing the elevator trim :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

View attachment 179458

An expected problem also happened, which was a lack of differentiation between the top and bottom sides resulting in me having to concentrate extra hard to keep orientation. During pylon races this is not really a problem as you should never be inverted but this plane is also really fun to do other aerobatic nonsense with. I'll add something to the bottom of the wing to make it easier at some point...

Here's a video, plus some pylon practice I did later. I had my buddy on pylon 1 judging for me since when I used to race that was the one I would tend to cut most often. I haven't put a plane around pylons with the intention of going fast for probably 3 or 4 years until now, but it's like riding a bike; it's a skill you can never completely lose once you learn it. Too bad there are no more club 40 races this year, but at least that means I have plenty of time to practice.

This plane will probably get a lot faster once the engine gets more broken in. Right now I have it spinning a 10x6 which is a little light for a 46. I think I'll either go to an 11x6 or 10x7 eventually once I get more fuel ran through this engine.
Awesome maiden and pylon practice, plane looks great, super clean. I was watching the pylon stuff you were doing then I heard the camm=eraman say "cut" and i thought the was trying to be videographer and director, but then i saw by the second time you have some markers representing pylons thet you were on the inside of. Now I get how it works.

As a pylon racer I cant imagine you use to much rudder, all bank and yank?

Wildthing

Legendary member
Awesome maiden and pylon practice, plane looks great, super clean. I was watching the pylon stuff you were doing then I heard the camm=eraman say "cut" and i thought the was trying to be videographer and director, but then i saw by the second time you have some markers representing pylons thet you were on the inside of. Now I get how it works.

They do actually use the rudder quite a bit, they even slightly trim it to the right so when at full speed they can maintain a knife edge for the full lap . Everytime you level off in the straightaways and go back to banking in the corners you are shaving off some speed.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
They do actually use the rudder quite a bit, they even slightly trim it to the right so when at full speed they can maintain a knife edge for the full lap . Everytime you level off in the straightaways and go back to banking in the corners you are shaving off some speed.
Huh... makes sense with the slight knife edge thing. Learn something new every day. Thanks for the info

speedbirdted

Legendary member

At least in club 40 rudder is almost never used and when it is it's only to maintain your altitude if you bank it too far in a turn. You actually don't want to do this - any time you deflect a control surface it adds drag, and adding rudder to knife edge in a turn adds a lot of drag. Faster stuff like Quickie 500 and Q40 will pretty much always race with a wing dipped, especially with 3 pylon courses, though I'm pretty sure there's little if any use of rudder there either.

You actually don't need to go around the pylons themselves - it's just the distance that counts. There are two judges on each pylon looking at them perpendicular to the course, so if someone cuts it short, they'll know.

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member

Actually, they don't use rudder at all. Basically, it is a 3 step process. He has to get the CG perfect for full throttle(fly inverted as if it was upright). Then has to trim it all out with flying straight and then doing a knife edge . Redo all steps until you get it right. Then the turns, the net result being it doesn't (lose or gain) altitude when you roll it and you get that by adding a slug of weight to the outer wing positioned properly so no rudder is used.

2 nice colors to use are orange and black. This is my son's plane and mine had the same wing design, but I added a black fuselage so we could tell the difference at the races whose are whose.

Q-500.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
@speedbirdted - I love the F3F slope pylon circuits with the buzzer that sounds when they hit the turning points - the really good guys seem to fly flat(ish) through the straight runs, flip it onto its edge approaching the pylon then pull it around at full pitch - I am sure they are using snap flaps too! I am going to have to look closely and see if they also fly with one wing down!

I have included a picture of my Pylon racer converted to a sloper with added flaps!

312246_5217107b4eda088d0c79551efcb53ad4.jpeg

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
A couple of super flights with my Taft Hobbys Viper Jet and a couple of fun thrashing of my FT-Mini Arrow.
Put a camera on the Viper for the flights and made this fun video

I am impressed on your flying with the electric EDF.
So now you new goal is start saving your money to buy your real turbine in a year or so. They are designing a small turbine jet that has wingspan of 54 inches and a length of 56 inches. It is estimated that it will weigh 6 3/4 lb and will have a 20-30 newton turbine set!!!!!!
Brakes are included.