What Did You Fly Today

Vimana89

Legendary member
Arrowhead prototype two uncut video clip from one of the test flights directly following maiden. This one solves all the flaws of prototype one, and loops and rolls without stalling. I have some thrust angle and slop issues, but not one critical stall. This is the first plane I can roll reliably, though I bet I could roll the Vulcan. I have to run some errands, but if I get more time without wind, I'll be testing the Vulcan's roll capability next. Best rolls on the Arrowhead video are all from 3:20-3:50.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I look up the cobra, I thought it was just a high alpha but I will look for it
It's a high alpha that goes beyond vertical, so the nose is pointed up, but towards the rear, then comes forward again. Without rolling out of it, and still maintaining forward flight, that's a tough one. ;) It's a thrust vectoring trick that I'm going to try without thrust vectoring. Should be fun! :p

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Put the Sportster up for her maiden today, Got some vid. Check it out:
Beautiful man! You are really flying well! Glad you had a successful maiden finally. Now here’s a challenge - get some hat cam vid of you doing some low (4-5 foot off the ground) full throttle passes. Not throwing inverted in there yet, but it’s coming 😉. When I get my ft-22 up soon, I’ll do my part and do some super low inverted passes, probably with a little high alpha thrown in. Are you in? Also got the inverted hand launch challenge from @buzzbomb to do...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Beautiful man! You are really flying well! Glad you had a successful maiden finally. Now here’s a challenge - get some hat cam vid of you doing some low (4-5 foot off the ground) full throttle passes. Not throwing inverted in there yet, but it’s coming 😉. When I get my ft-22 up soon, I’ll do my part and do some super low inverted passes, probably with a little high alpha thrown in. Are you in? Also got the inverted hand launch challenge from @buzzbomb to do...
That wasn't a real challenge. That was me busting on @mayan and having some fun at his expense.

For someone with skill at flying inverted, it's not even a challenge. Reverse elevator and roll out. For those without the skill to fly inverted? It's a disaster, waiting to happen. Nope, it wasn't a real challenge.

The "Cobra" however? THAT one is real! :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That wasn't a real challenge. That was me busting on @mayan and having some fun at his expense.

For someone with skill at flying inverted, it's not even a challenge. Reverse elevator and roll out. For those without the skill to fly inverted? It's a disaster, waiting to happen. Nope, it wasn't a real challenge.

The "Cobra" however? THAT one is real! :)
Haha - never committed to THAT one lol! Here’s the thing - I’m comfortable flying inverted but have never actually launches myself inverted, so gotta prove I can do it, eh?

bracesport

Legendary member
I did it
Sunday 13 October 2019

I have to thank @buzzbomb for giving me a push - I have been dilly-dallying around for awhile - spring is here and so is the wind but this morning the weather cleared and gave me some light southerlies to attempt to slope for the first time - my southerly slope site is a cliff face rather than a hill, but there is a benefit if I can crack this because it is so close to my home.

I took out two ships - my 1.2 V tail DLG and my hybrid FB sailplane - I was super nervous and mucked around before launching the DLG, but wow it flew and I managed a few flights at launch site one (it seemed like the junior launch site) but did not really get the lift I wanted - next came the sailplane and the launch was good, but I lost control and well, its toast now - I realised I made a huge rookie mistake and forgot to pull out my antenna on the old FM Tx!

I was pushing for 'time' at this point, so I went to the launch site two and my hat camera was playing up (I am yet to figure out if there is any useful footage), but luckily a couple of guys walking their dog came by and I gave them my iPhone to make this video!

I am stoked - watch closely, I even did a loop! :D

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I did it
Sunday 13 October 2019

I have to thank @buzzbomb for giving me a push - I have been dilly-dallying around for awhile - spring is here and so is the wind but this morning the weather cleared and gave me some light southerlies to attempt to slope for the first time - my southerly slope site is a cliff face rather than a hill, but there is a benefit if I can crack this because it is so close to my home.

I took out two ships - my 1.2 V tail DLG and my hybrid FB sailplane - I was super nervous and mucked around before launching the DLG, but wow it flew and I managed a few flights at launch site one (it seemed like the junior launch site) but did not really get the lift I wanted - next came the sailplane and the launch was good, but I lost control and well, its toast now - I realised I made a huge rookie mistake and forgot to pull out my antenna on the old FM Tx!

I was pushing for 'time' at this point, so I went to the launch site two and my hat camera was playing up (I am yet to figure out if there is any useful footage), but luckily a couple of guys walking their dog came by and I gave them my iPhone to make this video!

Hey - one plus to slow soaring is you don’t have to wait for a break in the wind😂 I forgot it’s a day later there and I was confused for a sec when it said “Sunday”😂

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's a high alpha that goes beyond vertical, so the nose is pointed up, but towards the rear, then comes forward again. Without rolling out of it, and still maintaining forward flight, that's a tough one. ;) It's a thrust vectoring trick that I'm going to try without thrust vectoring. Should be fun! :p
I saw some real fighter jets doin the cobra and yeah I would say there is thrust vectoring for sure, without though. That would be some cut the throttle/ full back on the bottom end of a glide right before a stall, then throttle back up?... not sure just a theory. I have a vid somewhere on here I took on Thursday of some crazy low passes with the FT-22, a couple right at my head as well. It's posted, just not inverted.

I like the inverted hand launch thing though, that would be different for me to launch with the left hand though. I can't think of a better time to do it, the 22 is getting kinda beat up so I have nothing to lose given I am going to build a 135% Alpha to replace it.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I did it
Sunday 13 October 2019

NICE MAN! A couple of heart stopping dips there but you pulled out of it. A little more time on the sticks to smooth it out and your a pro. She flew like an albatross on the breeze though, GOOD ON YA MATE!